CANUCKS SIGN UFA JASON GARRISON

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: CANUCKS SIGN UFA JASON GARRISON

Post by wafflecombine »

I am still waiting for RD to weigh in on this. The conversation is just too happy ;)
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

welp welcome home I guess!

Don't know much about him but it seems like Florida and us are brothers bound by blood... how many players have switched from Van to FLA, and vice versa since 2000?

C'mon now, take Luongo and Ballad too!
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Great signing. Really excited at the potential of seeing him play #1 PP minutes. Imagine that blast while playing with the twins... it's going to be a treat!

Wonder where that 6.5 mil story came from, cuz from what i heard there was no other place he wanted to go but home.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

His stats have improved every year for the last 3 years, which looks good. But I have to say I'm wary of last years numbers because of the Campbell effect. He is a good size 6'2"/218 and as Coco said plays both sides which is pretty attractive. That's a long contract, lets hope it turns out good rather than a Ballard type.

Rome got $4.5 over 3 years with Dallas and Salo $7.0 over 2 years combined make the same

Looks like another year in the AHL for Cannauton, unless Ballard and Alberts move
cheers
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

That Globe and Mail article was from April/2011.

I haven’t seen any final summations like that for this past season as yet, but Hockey Independent ranked the top 25 NHL defensive defensemen in Dec/2011, and Garrison wasn’t on the list.
http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/slasher98/41485/

Over at HockeyAnalysis.com, for this past season, amongst defencemen, overall Garrison was ranked 35th in the league and Hamhuis was 16th. Garrison’s numbers were better than Elder and Bieska.

Given the free agents available, and some of the other contracts given out, even if he just plays his average of the last couple of years, this is a very good signing for Vancouver. He isn't a stud like Weber, but he is obviously a solid top 4 guy.

I only hope that AV and the media take a liking to him as he obviously left money on the table to play for the Canucks.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Again thought, I don't know how much of this was MG's doing as much as it was Garrisons desire to come home.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Strangelove wrote:
clem wrote: Did Garrison come off an exceptional year (in part because of Campbell) ?

Or, is he getting better year by year ?
Garrison led the Cats in icetime two years ago (pre-Campbell).

He has been a mainstay on their #1 PK for two seasons.

Playing with Brian Campbell definitely helped his offensive numbers last year.

But guess wot, now he's playing with Alexander Edler on YOUR Vancouver Canucks!

Garrison's ability to play quality minutes & stay healthy should be an improvement on Salo. Garrison's got the shot, skating and discipline, but doesn't seem too physical despite his size.

He played more time last year (with Campbell) than the previous year (23:42 vs 22:18 ATOI by hockey-reference).

Hoping for the best, but my rose coloured Canuck glasses don't work as well as they used to. His effectiveness with the Canucks is yet to be proven.

A skeptical thumbs up for Gillis, so far, this summer.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Waffle wrote: That Globe and Mail article was from April/2011.

I haven’t seen any final summations like that for this past season as yet, but Hockey Independent ranked the top 25 NHL defensive defensemen in Dec/2011, and Garrison wasn’t on the list.
http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/slasher98/41485/

Over at HockeyAnalysis.com, for this past season, amongst defencemen, overall Garrison was ranked 35th in the league and Hamhuis was 16th. Garrison’s numbers were better than Elder and Bieska.
When asked to play more of a defensive role (with Weaver in '10-11) he was ranked the #2 defensive dee league-wide.

When asked to play more of a offensive role (with Campbell in '11-12) he was 31st in points (+ ranked 35th defensively?)

There's that versatility on display amirite?

He was the only Panther dee (15 g plus) to end up on the positive side of +/- (was +6, his partner Campbell was -9).

Having said that, I admit I haven't bothered to learn up on the new stats (corsi, fenwick?).

I'd be interested to know exactly where Garrison stands in regards to those.
Waffle wrote: Given the free agents available, and some of the other contracts given out, even if he just plays his average of the last couple of years, this is a very good signing for Vancouver. He isn't a stud like Weber, but he is obviously a solid top 4 guy.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

As I've said elsewhere, good price and good term considering what others were getting.

If he can play the right side and form a stable pairing with Edler, then things look a lot brighter on the blueline. Having Tanev and Ballard as the 3rd pairing - even with Ballard's salary - would make for a solid D-corps.

I'll be interested to see just what kind of on-ice mojo he had with Campbell besides being the obvious recipient of some sweet feeds from him. Would Edler or Ballard feed him for one-timers the way Campbell did? Will Garrison have to play more defensively to cover up for Bambi's uber-bambi moments at the opposition blue-line? On a rush, who will jump in as the late guy, Edler or Garrison, and how will these factors weigh into his production? Guess we'll see.

All in all, a good pick-up in that he has size, skill and can play the right side even if he doesn't shoot right-handed. Makes the D-corps solid, but I would still like to see Gillis replace some depth in the form of a big, vicious crease-clearer. Too bad Allen signed elsewhere.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gillis has a history of picking up morons from the Florida Panthers I sure as hell hope that unlike David Booth, this Garrison fella can walk and chew gum at the same time
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

clem wrote: Garrison's ability to play quality minutes & stay healthy should be an improvement on Salo. Garrison's got the shot, skating and discipline, but doesn't seem too physical despite his size.
I see alotta folks out there calling him a younger, more physical Sami Salo.

Panther fans, although pissed at him for abandoning them, say he's a VERY solid top 4 dee.

____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

From W.C._9 in the province comments:
Garrison put up 16 goals last year and can play the right side.

In his Panther career he has managed to be a + player which is rare. Last year Brian Campbell put up 53 points but was -9 while Garrison was +6 with 33 points. In fact Garrison was the only regular Florida Dman who was a + last season.

He can also eat up big minutes and averaged 23:41 per game (second to Brian Campbell) and before Campbell arrived he put up the top minutes. Edler was tops last season for the Canucks with 23:51.

Garrison also took more shots (168) than any Canucks Dman. He has an outstanding shooting percentage of 9.5% which is better than any other Dman in the NHL taking 150 or more shots. Shea Weber (8.3%) and Erik Karlsson (7.3%) were numbers 2 and 3. He has a knack for getting shots through.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Lancer wrote:As I've said elsewhere, good price and good term considering what others were getting.

If he can play the right side and form a stable pairing with Edler, then things look a lot brighter on the blueline. Having Tanev and Ballard as the 3rd pairing - even with Ballard's salary - would make for a solid D-corps.

I'll be interested to see just what kind of on-ice mojo he had with Campbell besides being the obvious recipient of some sweet feeds from him. Would Edler or Ballard feed him for one-timers the way Campbell did? Will Garrison have to play more defensively to cover up for Bambi's uber-bambi moments at the opposition blue-line? On a rush, who will jump in as the late guy, Edler or Garrison, and how will these factors weigh into his production? Guess we'll see.

All in all, a good pick-up in that he has size, skill and can play the right side even if he doesn't shoot right-handed. Makes the D-corps solid, but I would still like to see Gillis replace some depth in the form of a big, vicious crease-clearer. Too bad Allen signed elsewhere.
He played the right side all last year with Campbell, don't worry he's fine there. I think he will be paired with Edler and should do just fine as the defensive guy on that pairing, as long as they can develop some chemistry.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ballard has to go. With the smallish stature of Hamhius and Bieksa and the bean pole Tanev he makes our D corp too small. He needs to be replaced by a nasty piece of business to toughen up the D in that 6th spot. Ballard is redundant
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

wafflecombine wrote:I am still waiting for RD to weigh in on this. The conversation is just too happy ;)
Looks like you got your wish (twice)! :shock:
Last edited by surreal78 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.