CANUCKS SIGN UFA JASON GARRISON

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: CANUCKS SIGN UFA JASON GARRISON

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote: If the Canucks can scoop up Dylan Reese (probably available on a cheap-ish deal) that would give them another NHL calibre righty and four legitimate pairings.
With Reese

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Mason Raymond ($2.200m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.750m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Dylan Reese ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,978,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,221,667

We still have great cap space!

But I believe Luongo is gone and possibly Raymond, to help our center and prospect deficiencies.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Reefer2 wrote: Garrison is 15 lbs heavier
Had 127 hits in 77 games while Ehrhoff had 47 in 66 games and probably half of those we mistakes when he skated the wrong way.

I also like the Hamhuis/Bieksa as the top pairing, Edler needs to get his game back and playing on the 2nd line with a big hitter like Garrison will really help him. The 2 of them will be knocking all the forwards on their arses through out the season.
I don't see where people are getting the impression that Garrison is a big hitter.

His # of hits is respectable (46th amoung NHL Dmen), but what I've read/seen doesn't show the big hit threat. Garrison's hip checks are rare.

Ehrhoff's level of physicality when in a Canuck jersey was pathetic.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:
dbr wrote: If the Canucks can scoop up Dylan Reese (probably available on a cheap-ish deal) that would give them another NHL calibre righty and four legitimate pairings.
With Reese

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Mason Raymond ($2.200m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.750m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Dylan Reese ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,978,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,221,667

We still have great cap space!

But I believe Luongo is gone and possibly Raymond, to help our center and prospect deficiencies.
Reese signed a 2-yrs deal with the Penguins earlier today.

http://triblive.com/sports/2134840-85/r ... lair-forge
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Oh, huh. Capgeek must've missed it.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:Oh, huh. Capgeek must've missed it.
Perhaps it is time for the home grown kids (Sauve, Connauton, Corrado, and Polasek) to shine.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

meh, someone like Reese then! Our main concern is a top six forward as Kesler/Booth are crash and bang the front of the net type of players, hardly finesse.

And with Hodgson gone, we need a 3rd line center who can play offense and defense! IF we ever expect to contend against the best in the league.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

A necessary signing but at the end of the day are we any more of a contender than we were the past two seasons? Of course it's way too early to ask that question with the whole summer ahead of us but given our "window" I'm hoping our management team is looking for the home run. Perhaps that home run is a culmination of a number of moves starting with this one. I'm not even gonna guess what is realistic to expect from the Luongo deal but all indications are we're swinging for the fences and that's the right approach.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

cjc wrote:

Maybe a gamble but less of one than signing Schultz. For all we know, Schultz could end up to be another Fabian Brunstrom and while his cap hit is negligible, if we had signed him it probably would have left Garrison for some other team to pick up. Let's wait to see what this means. Too hard to speculate at this point but I do prefer the player who wants to come home over the one who doesn't.

No gamble at all signing Schultz.

He's on a mandatory 2 way deal so if he "ends up another Fabian Bunstrom" you just send him down.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I hope Garrison can play the right side better than the Canucks' other left-shot D --- if he can, this looks like a solid signing.

The Edler-Bieksa combo never seemed to gel, so it would be great to see Edler-Garrison have some chemistry.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sauve or even Connauton stick with the big team this season, so I don't think the Canucks will look to sign more defencemen, unless it is a Sulzer-like tweener.

Kevin Bieksa (31) (R)
Andrew Alberts (31) (L)
Keith Ballard (29) (L)
Dan Hamhuis (29) (L)
Jason Garrison (27) (L)
Alex Edler (26) (L)
Chris Tanev (22) (R)

Yann Sauve (22) (L)
Kevin Connauton (22) (L)
Peter Andersson (21) (L)
Henrik Tommernes (21) (L)
Jeremy Price (21) (R)
Adam Polasek (20) (L)
Patrick McNally (20) (L)
Frank Corrado (19) (R)
Ben Hutton (19) (L)

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Southern_Canuck wrote:I hope Garrison can play the right side better than the Canucks' other left-shot D --- if he can, this looks like a solid signing.

The Edler-Bieksa combo never seemed to gel, so it would be great to see Edler-Garrison have some chemistry.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sauve or even Connauton stick with the big team this season, so I don't think the Canucks will look to sign more defencemen, unless it is a Sulzer-like tweener.
yeah JG is expected to play with Edler as the 1st or 2nd pairing.

I can see KCon getting 10-15 games this season, unfortunately he plays the left side. :s
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Reefer2 wrote: Garrison is 15 lbs heavier
Had 127 hits in 77 games while Ehrhoff had 47 in 66 games and probably half of those we mistakes when he skated the wrong way.

I also like the Hamhuis/Bieksa as the top pairing, Edler needs to get his game back and playing on the 2nd line with a big hitter like Garrison will really help him. The 2 of them will be knocking all the forwards on their arses through out the season.
As has been mentioned by others, Garrison isn't a punishing d-man.

His physicality is similar to Willie Mitchell's, minus some of the snarl. Although Mitchell throws less hits than Garrison, Willie is is more likely to get involved in the rough stuff.

Compared to Ehrhoff, yes, Garrison is bigger and far more physical, but the comparison in terms of versatility for a top 4 d-man that has a fairly well rounded game works.

Obviously there are some dissenting views on this signing, and I've heard some elsewhere critique the move by saying Garrison isn't anything more than a 4-5 D-man.

Well, as of right now, Garrison is stepping in to the the #4 role on this blueline. That's quite different from say someone like Wideman joining the Flames as their likely #2.

It's all about the role a player will be in when he joins a team. Garrison is just another piece to the defensive puzzle, instead of being a top-pairing cornerstone....unless he develops into that, at which point the contract will look even better.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Garrison and I believe Weaver were the guys the Panthers used in shut down roles the last two years. I'm comfortable with him on the second pairing getting the easier draw behind Hamhuis. It'll be a reduced role from what he's used to and more likely to excel.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Southern_Canuck wrote:I hope Garrison can play the right side better than the Canucks' other left-shot D --- if he can, this looks like a solid signing.
S_C
He played the right side for most of last season
Yuck.

I don't think either guy is capable of giving reliable 3rd pairing minutes and Andrew Alberts is also a big question mark especially when things crank up in the playoffs. They really need another guy who can play in the 7 spot, or they will likely have to make a move at the deadline IMO.

-------

On a side note I'm getting a real kick out of the talking heads on the radio today comparing the Garrison signing to the Salo deal.....

They Keep talking about Salo like he's still the player he was a few years ago. It's almost like they missed last season where Salos play started great but was on the steady decline all year to the point where he looked like an old man in the playoffs.

Sami Salo was a great Canuck but he is no longer a top4 defenseman. If the Canucks had brought him back to do anything other then play on their 3rd pairing it would have been a big mistake IMO.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

I have a funny feeling that if one of our D prospects makes the leap this it will be Frank Corrado. I think he's a real gem and can can actually play his position and keep goals out of the net, which is K-Conn's giant fault right now.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Groovypippin wrote:I have a funny feeling that if one of our D prospects makes the leap this it will be Frank Corrado. I think he's a real gem and can can actually play his position and keep goals out of the net, which is K-Conn's giant fault right now.

Isn't Corrado going back to Jr. next season?

He's a 2011 CHL pick, usually that means 2 years with his Jr team before he's eligible to play in the AHL.