Free Trade Deals - 2012

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Free Trade Deals - 2012

Post by Aaronp18 »

Ollie signs in Winnipeg for 2 years, $9M total. $4.5m per.

Flames still have no pivots!

:mrgreen:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Aaronp18 wrote:Ollie signs in Winnipeg for 2 years, $9M total. $4.5m per.

Flames still have no pivots!

:mrgreen:
F*ckin sweet. Unless Feaster pulls a rabbit out of his ass, that is one sad-ass looking bunch of centres. Iginla can look forward to playing by himself next season.

Flamer fans can pin their hopes on a JBo trade, but with that track record in Calgary and that contract Feaster would be lucky to grab somebody like Tim Connoly because Burke would be happy to be rid of the contract for an extra warm body on the blueline. At least Lou has the track record to go with the big contract.

:rockin:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

tantalum wrote:Hradek also saying to not be surprised is Parise signs back with the Devils. Inside info? No idea as he could just be parroting what we all know...Parise will choose NJ if they can come up with a reasonably competitive offer.
That would be great.

Parise with the Hawks would be terrible. Sutter and Parise both with the wings would be terrible. Both with the wild would be concerning. Sutter with the wings would be a lateral.

Wings getting neither basically takes them out of it next year IMO.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Potatoe1 wrote:
tantalum wrote:Hradek also saying to not be surprised is Parise signs back with the Devils. Inside info? No idea as he could just be parroting what we all know...Parise will choose NJ if they can come up with a reasonably competitive offer.
That would be great.

Parise with the Hawks would be terrible. Sutter and Parise both with the wings would be terrible. Both with the wild would be concerning. Sutter with the wings would be a lateral.

i think the loss of Lidstrom puts the Wings outta the picture as a serious contender...by the end of November we will see what an important part of their team he was...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'm surprised Detroit signed Tootoo, seems out of character.

Price in Mtl gets $6.5 per. Makes Lou look like a bargain
cheers
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
That would be great.

i think the loss of Lidstrom puts the Wings outta the picture as a serious contender...by the end of November we will see what an important part of their team he was...
Well, sure. But they did get Samuelsson back. :look:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

the Dogsalmon wrote:i think the loss of Lidstrom puts the Wings outta the picture as a serious contender...by the end of November we will see what an important part of their team he was...
I think you're right, even though the Wings fans at the office are loathe to agree!

Like many teams, Detroit has a ton of cap space and not much to spend it on. If they don't land Suter and/or Parise, they are not going to have much else to spend that space on barring a major trade or two. I like Suter, but even if they do land him, chances are slim that he'll be able to fully replace one of the best ever... :lol:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

herb wrote:
Like many teams, Detroit has a ton of cap space and not much to spend it on. If they don't land Suter and/or Parise, they are not going to have much else to spend that space on barring a major trade or two. I like Suter, but even if they do land him, chances are slim that he'll be able to fully replace one of the best ever... :lol:
Yeah I'm not so sure.

Last year was a big drop off for him but it wasn't really discussed because of the Lidstrom mystique. I would Suspect that the 28 year old Suter is probably a better performer then the 40 year old Lidstrom.

That said there is a leadership / culture part to Lidstrom as well so we'll see how big of a factor that is.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Potatoe1 wrote: That said there is a leadership / culture part to Lidstrom as well so we'll see how big of a factor that is.
Considering Datysuk and Zetterberg will be the major pieces in the leadership core, I wouldn't be too worried about the culture Lidstrom is leaving behind.

As for Suter replacing Lidstrom, he's going to be every bit as good, if not better, defensively as the hall-of famer over the past few years. Where he'll have some issues is offensively, namely on the PP.

The PK might improve with Suter, but the PP is yet to be determined...IF Suter joins Detroit.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Potatoe1 wrote:Yeah I'm not so sure.

Last year was a big drop off for him but it wasn't really discussed because of the Lidstrom mystique. I would Suspect that the 28 year old Suter is probably a better performer then the 40 year old Lidstrom.

That said there is a leadership / culture part to Lidstrom as well so we'll see how big of a factor that is.
I agree that Suter is a better player than the Lidstrom we saw last year, but Lidstrom took a huge step back last year. Prior to 2011/12 he was a 60+point guy 25+min guy for 15 years straight with seven Norris trophies. Unbelievable how good and consistent he was. It would have been a shock had he retired after the 2011 season given how good he was that year, but I don't think anybody was surprised he retired after last season.

Despite all the hype, I don't think Suter can replace the 60+point, annual Norris trophy winning version of Lidstrom.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Bobby Orr
Doug Harvey
Nicklas Lidstrom

the 3 best Dmen ever to play the game...Suter has some big big shoes to fill and personally i dont think he will be up to the task...
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..it would be interesting to have a debate about top ten d-men, maybe top 5 but those 3 take up a lot of space.

Like who are 4 and 5 on the list.

There would be a ton of opinions for sure.

Larry Robinson would not get enough love.

Potvin is in the argument.

Sooo many....
DeLevering since 1999.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

donlever wrote:..it would be interesting to have a debate about top ten d-men, maybe top 5 but those 3 take up a lot of space.

Like who are 4 and 5 on the list.

There would be a ton of opinions for sure.

Larry Robinson would not get enough love.

Sooo many....
Chelios needs to be in the conversation as well as Bourque...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

donlever wrote: Larry Robinson would not get enough love.

Sooo many....
Just a few more off the top of my head, no particular order:

Shore
S.Niedermayer
Bourque
Coffey
Stevens
L.Murphy
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

donlever wrote:..it would be interesting to have a debate about top ten d-men, maybe top 5 but those 3 take up a lot of space.
Good idea, but maybe in another thread? :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."