Patience: Gillis is doing the right thing.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Patience: Gillis is doing the right thing.

Post by clem »

Potatoe1 wrote: Gino sounded like he had about 30 beers before that interview. His suggestions confirmed as much.
He did sound hoarse. :drink:

However, with the exception of the Laraque comment, he made sense - & provided some insight into the Bure situation.

There has been plenty of discussion about allowing stars to be manhandled - before Gino's input - by sober individuals.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis doing OK - but Gino Odjick has suggestions.

Post by Meds »

clem wrote:An interview with Gino Odjick was on the radio (July 3rd). He had some suggestions for the Canucks.

1/ The Canucks need to protect their stars better.
2/ They need an enforcer & Gino recommended giving George Laraque a try out this pre-season.
3/ The enforcer’s job isn’t to run around fighting people. It’s to make the stars feel comfortable.
4/ Bure will accept an honour from the Canucks when the correct one is offered. Some offers are meant to be refused (ie: ring of honour vs jersey retirement).
I don't really see Bure's jersey heading up into the rafters. He was/is the best player to ever put on a Canucks sweater, but the way he left was just a disaster, both on the part of the team and him/his agent.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Gillis doing OK - but Gino Odjick has suggestions.

Post by clem »

Mëds wrote:
I don't really see Bure's jersey heading up into the rafters. He was/is the best player to ever put on a Canucks sweater, but the way he left was just a disaster, both on the part of the team and him/his agent.
Long time Canuck fans remember Bure as the most exciting & talented Canuck they ever saw. Not necessarily their favourite, but it would be nice if it wasn't about politics.

Between Bure, his original agent (Sulcer), his replacement (Gillis), the old style or beligerant management (Quinn, McPhee, Burke), & possible friction with Linden - we may never know how it all went down.

Concern about Bure jilting the Canucks in a ceremony may be part of the issue. The HHOF ceremony could be interesting.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

The history of our franchise is a pretty sad one when there's controversy about retiring the jersey of our only (real) hall of famer.

I'm not holding my breath about any of the current Canucks becoming HHOFers (as a Canuck).

I was raised in the wrong province.

:)
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

mathonwy wrote:The history of our franchise is a pretty sad one when there's controversy about retiring the jersey of our only (real) hall of famer.

I'm not holding my breath about any of the current Canucks becoming HHOFers (as a Canuck).

I'm thinking a 22 and a 33 will be heading in there in a decade or so.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

surreal78 wrote:
mathonwy wrote:The history of our franchise is a pretty sad one when there's controversy about retiring the jersey of our only (real) hall of famer.

Because of what they've accomplished already or because of what is to come?

Or.. will they go into the hall because there will never be twins like them every again?
Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

E) All of the above
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

mathonwy wrote: Because of what they've accomplished already or because of what is to come?

Or.. will they go into the hall because there will never be twins like them every again?
Because they've done what no Canucks have done... I don't see any Hart or Art Ross winners in our rafters yet. That may be a mistake of management. But if we've set the bar low, so be it. The Sedins will go up there, because they are arguably the best Canucks to wear the jersey.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

surreal78 wrote:

provided they hit the 1000 point club and win a Cup. Theoren Fleury isnt in the hall yet...nor Shanahan...both 1000 points and Cups and Gold Medals.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
surreal78 wrote:

provided they hit the 1000 point club and win a Cup. Theoren Fleury isnt in the hall yet...nor Shanahan...both 1000 points and Cups and Gold Medals.
Theo and Shanny aren't in because they never played for the leaves....

Henrik (if he plays 18 seasons) will end up with just over 1200 points (at his current 67 point-per-season pace). He's already won a Hart trophy (1 better than Sundin), an Art Ross (1 better than Sundin), has played in 7 stanley cup final games (7 better than Sundin) and captained his team two 2 Presidents Trophy seasons (2 better than Sundin)

If Sundin can get in with ~1350 points and a Mark Messier Leadership award, Henrik will get in (and Daniel will follow)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey...... the Hall of Pretty Good.

It's weak really.

They really need to set the bar higher.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

People forget that it isn't the NHL Hall of Fame but rather the HOCKEY hall of fame. Sundin has arguably the best international resume of any modern day player. Couple with a good NHL resume led to his hall induction.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..and he was a Leaf!
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Hockey...... the Hall of Pretty Good.

It's weak really.

They really need to set the bar higher.
Should start a HOF thread for all you yahoo's :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

donlever wrote:..and he was a Leaf!
Well sure. But I'm not that surprised he got in when I thought about it a bit to tell you the truth. I was really surprised Shanahan didn't and Bure did though. Thank god Roenick didn't get in.