Patience: Gillis is doing the right thing.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Patience: Gillis is doing the right thing.

Post by SKYO »

Hudler a Flamer, a new contender? ;)
Last edited by SKYO on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

If the Ducks didn't know that this loophole was available to him when they drafted him, they should have. That's just good staff dilligence on management's part. Knowing that, if he rebuffed their attempts to sign him early that should have sent up warning flags immediately and they should have tried to trade his rights before it came to this. At least they could have gotten more than what they have now - zilch.

Murray can whine and bitch all he likes but he knew what kind of an asset he had in Schultz and he should have known long ago what options he would have and when. That he let this happen without trading his rights is just stupidity and his bitching just sounds like tears over spilt milk. Admit that you fucked up, and move on.

I don't blame Schultz for taking an avenue that was open to him. Who knows what the relation s were between him and Anaheim? Have fun with the Coilers, boy. Wonder if Gretz or Coffey will take your calls when you're pouting because you're mired in another 10-game losing streak and on your way to the league basement again.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

And what happened to Lindros (that wasn't directly related to him failing to learn to skate with his head up)?

Justin Schultz is going to get a rough ride in the NHL to start, because he is a young slender offensive defenseman that will (eventually) be able to punish teams that give him enough time and space to operate.

He is not going to get a rough ride because he exploited the CBA to sign with a team of his choosing, and anyone who thinks their team was lucky to lose out on his services is sorely mistaken.
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

the Dogsalmon wrote:i dont give a fuck what degree you get from any university on the planet...you are not going to get comparable wages to the NHL...ever...especially as a rookie...
A decent NHLer is going to make millions during their career. For some people, that's enough money. What's an extra mil or two? Heck, as a sought-after UFA, his lifetime earning potential now might end up being far higher than if he dropped out of school and signed with Anaheim to go play in the minors and see some NHL time.

Also, I'm assuming that you've never gone to school? It's not just about the piece of paper you get at the end of it. Its a life experience someone only has the chance to do once - its nowhere near the same as going back to school as a 'mature' student, like some of the more intelligent former NHLers do after they retire (and usually its law school or MBAs, both of which require a bachelors, and its a heck of a lot easier to pick that up young than to go back to undergrad when old).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Anyone remember the Oil signing ole Mike Loophole Comrie?

Didn’t work out well for the Oil and he was one of the most hated players around the league.

These loophole types *tend* to have the kind of attitude pros don’t like.

Not saying using a loophole absolutely makes one a snot-nosed kid!

But it could be perceived that way around the league by some.

Kid should prolly keep his head up just in case. :wink:

Hmmm one wonders if Cody Hodgson now has a bit of a snot-nosed-kid rep....
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

the Dogsalmon wrote: i dont give a fuck what degree you get from any university on the planet...you are not going to get comparable wages to the NHL...ever...especially as a rookie...
I gotta a disagree with you Dog. Your looking at the small picture, Shultz today is guaranteed a decent payday. But remember he decided to stay in University a few years ago when he wasn't the player he is today and there was no guarantee he even makes the NHL.

If he left a few years back to join the Ducks he likely rides the buses and makes AHL minimum salary because he has no leverage, which is around $40,000! That's not exactly inticing. I'd be staying in school without question.

The fact that the Ducks were perhaps pressuring him to leave early is crap. If he wanted to stay in school he has every right to do that and they should have respected his decision. If they did so he would likely be a Duck today. Theres a reason this loophole exists and what the Ducks did is exactly that reason.

I completely respect the guy for wanting an education and it's a damn good idea. Remember very few kids ever make the NHL and Shultz took it upon himself to have a backup plan in case pro hockey never turned out for him. Not only that but getting a university education will enable him to be more successful and reasonable with his NHL career.

I would definitely encourage my kids to take the college route. Get a business degree and learn how to treat yourself as your own company if pro sports is a desired career. Know that your career could be over in a flash and invest and spend wisely while you can. Everything else is then gravy!

Good for Shultz for maximizing his opportunity and shame on the Ducks for pressuring the kid into leaving a situation he was comfortable with. Just because you draft a kid does not give you ownership of that person.

The Ducks are reaping what they sowed and have no one to blame but themselves.

Just wish the Canucks could have picked the kid up but he has a great chance to be an integral part of an Olier franchise that has a ton of talent and may finally utilize it properly. Still need a tender and some guys that can play without the puck but the pieces are there.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: I completely respect the guy for wanting an education....
And if he gets his brains scrambled due to over-aggression from NHLers perceiving him as a snot-nosed kid?

Wot then Aaron, wot then? :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote: I completely respect the guy for wanting an education....
And if he gets his brains scrambled due to over-aggression from NHLers perceiving him as a snot-nosed kid?

Wot then Aaron, wot then? :mrgreen:
Well hopefully he's smart enough to grab some extra insurance.

;)

Can't rely on lawsuits now that he's signed with a Canadian team. Chances of a big payoff are less that half now!

:mrgreen:
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Mike Comrie pfft...Schultz wishes he was banging Hilary Duff. The pre-pregnacy skinny Duff at that.
Last edited by tantalum on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

porp wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:i dont give a fuck what degree you get from any university on the planet...you are not going to get comparable wages to the NHL...ever...especially as a rookie...
A decent NHLer is going to make millions during their career. For some people, that's enough money. What's an extra mil or two? Heck, as a sought-after UFA, his lifetime earning potential now might end up being far higher than if he dropped out of school and signed with Anaheim to go play in the minors and see some NHL time.

Also, I'm assuming that you've never gone to school? It's not just about the piece of paper you get at the end of it. Its a life experience someone only has the chance to do once - its nowhere near the same as going back to school as a 'mature' student, like some of the more intelligent former NHLers do after they retire (and usually its law school or MBAs, both of which require a bachelors, and its a heck of a lot easier to pick that up young than to go back to undergrad when old).

you shouldnt assume...
Last edited by the Dogsalmon on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Thank heavens Tanev and Connauton both jumped out of collage with the pressure from MG to do so. Tanev came out at the end of his freshman year and Connauton I .....think .... came out after his sophomore year ? but they both were pressure by MG and did come out early. No more hanging around for 4 years to develop like the recent draft picks are being asked to do
cheers
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Fred wrote:Thank heavens Tanev and Connauton both jumped out of collage with the pressure from MG to do so. Tanev came out at the end of his freshman year and Connauton I .....think .... came out after his sophomore year ? but they both were pressure by MG and did come out early. No more hanging around for 4 years to develop like the recent draft picks are being asked to do
Why? And are you sure that Gillis "pressured" them into leaving?

Connauton is clearly behind Shultz in development. Argument could be made that perhaps if he stayed in college he may have a more well rounded game and closer to an NHL roster spot. However he was playing for a pretty weak WMU team and It was likely not best for his development to stay regardless considering the year after he left they were even worse.

Each situation is unique, Shultz was playing in the WCHA for a fairly highly regarded hockey program. He also clearly wanted to stay because he felt he wasn't ready to move on and perhaps wanted to finish his program - only Shultz knows the exact reasoning.

Tanev was playing for The Rochester Institute of Technology for chrissakes. Might as well have been playing for the University of Surrey.

It's pretty clear that each situation is unique and as I'm sure you know the Canucks currently have prospects attending university likely without pressure from the Canucks to leave their program!

If the Ducks would have read the Shultz situation properly he would be on their roster next season.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Fred wrote:Thank heavens Tanev and Connauton both jumped out of collage with the pressure from MG to do so. Tanev came out at the end of his freshman year and Connauton I .....think .... came out after his sophomore year ? but they both were pressure by MG and did come out early. No more hanging around for 4 years to develop like the recent draft picks are being asked to do
that sounds both surreal and painful...
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Gillis doing OK - but Gino Odjick has suggestions.

Post by clem »

An interview with Gino Odjick was on the radio (July 3rd). He had some suggestions for the Canucks.

1/ The Canucks need to protect their stars better.
2/ They need an enforcer & Gino recommended giving George Laraque a try out this pre-season.
3/ The enforcer’s job isn’t to run around fighting people. It’s to make the stars feel comfortable.
4/ Bure will accept an honour from the Canucks when the correct one is offered. Some offers are meant to be refused (ie: ring of honour vs jersey retirement).
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Gillis doing OK - but Gino Odjick has suggestions.

Post by Potatoe1 »

clem wrote:An interview with Gino Odjick was on the radio (July 3rd). He had some suggestions for the Canucks.

1/ The Canucks need to protect their stars better.
2/ They need an enforcer & Gino recommended giving George Laraque a try out this pre-season.
3/ The enforcer’s job isn’t to run around fighting people. It’s to make the stars feel comfortable.
4/ Bure will accept an honour from the Canucks when the correct one is offered. Some honours are meant to be refused (ie: ring of honour vs jersey retirement).

Gino sounded like he had about 30 beers before that interview. His suggestions confirmed as much.