Patience: Gillis is doing the right thing.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Patience: Gillis is doing the right thing.

Post by Meds »

the Dogsalmon wrote: provided they hit the 1000 point club and win a Cup. Theoren Fleury isnt in the hall yet...nor Shanahan...both 1000 points and Cups and Gold Medals.
That's the politics of it.

Fleury has been such a rollercoaster in the media. He never really carried his team or was a leader. He put up points, but I think the politics keep him out of the HoF.

Shanahan will likely get in. If he doesn't it's because he was always the "Burrows" on his line. A contributor who made the line what it was, but ultimately ended up playing in the shadow of couple great players. I think he deserves to get in more than Fleury does, but I like what Blob says.....the Hall of Pretty Good. Bar does need to be higher.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Mëds wrote:
Shanahan will likely get in.
Brendan is a definite in.

I can quote 656 reasons why.
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

donlever wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Shanahan will likely get in.
Brendan is a definite in.

I can quote 656 reasons why.
Ok. Let's hear 'em then.

Sorry Leves.....just saw another thread where the absence sarcastic smiley's were mentioned. Figured I better get on that.

:look:
Last edited by Meds on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Anders Hedberg, Igor Larionov and Peter Stastny are the recent editions to the HHOF Selection Committee which boosts the Euro/commie recognition and bumps folks like Shero-Burns-Shanahan.... down the road.

CBC wrote about it when the names were announced.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

MG needs to trade for a big return and it shoul include a high draft pick as some very good kids are coming up in the next two drafts.

Then he says that for the year Lou is the guy. Stand up there and take the hit but explain the game is played on ice which is slippery and not as easy as it appears. The goal scored by Bergeron last year in the SCF where he slid into Lou got a lot of heat from me and many more and is often used as an example of how bad he can be. I rewatched a few times and he may have made the wrong choice but looking back the goal was not his fault or at least not to the extent we blame him for. I am convinced I fell prey to hysteria over Lou.

Then I watch others let in what seems to be flubs and I see they all do it and often. The difference between a great % and a lousy one adds up to about twenty shots or so per 1000 fired. Our D hung Lou out to dry and did not score during the Kings thing.

I do not want to throw away a good and proven tender for someone who is not felt that pressure they get in Van. Hope they think hard, keep Lou, get a good return on Ginger and stop paying such attention to what may one of the worst hockey medias in the NHL.
Hoss
CC Rookie

Post by Hoss »

damonberryman wrote: I do not want to throw away a good and proven tender for someone who is not felt that pressure they get in Van. Hope they think hard, keep Lou, get a good return on Ginger and stop paying such attention to what may one of the worst hockey medias in the NHL.
If the Gillis regime really did pay much attention to the Van media, they would've thrown a ludicrous offer sheet at Shea Weber. Given the way MG treats the media, I'm not at all sold on the fact that he and his team pay much attention to them. I don't see management wanting to go with Ginge necessarily as media or fan-driven move - the fact is the guy is 7 years younger, comes cheaper, and has done nothing but improve ever since he was drafted. Personally, I prefer his low-key, funny-guy attitude for a goalie compared to the sometimes high-strung Lu.

Choosing between the two goalies we have under contract is a nice dilemma to have, and we wouldn't be the first team to go with the younger guy on the upswing of his career. Could it bite us in the ass? Sure. Only time will tell, but I have a lot of confidence in Corey Schneider.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I think it's time we stop thinking about the goaltending situation as a choice. It isn't. Despite what everyone is saying to the public, Luongo wants out. There is no choice to be made.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

damonberryman wrote:
.....I do not want to throw away a good and proven tender for someone who is not felt that pressure they get in Van. Hope they think hard, keep Lou, get a good return on Ginger and stop paying such attention to what may one of the worst hockey medias in the NHL.
Your proposal looks good when considering the sum of: experience, quality of play, & how much we could get for either goalie in a trade. However, the Canucks also have Luongo's family situation to consider.

Am assuming that family is the primary consideration in his statement that "it's time to move on". If there's something the Canucks can do to assist Luongo with this (besides a trade), they should try, but it doesn't look promising.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I know the big fan club of Gillis here will get their back ups as I say this - 'the Luongo situation is just another classic example of a mishandled situation by Gillis. I am really looking forward to seeing the pressure really finally start showing its ugly face on Schneider in the goalie graveyard of the NHL. The fans here are legendary for turning on their players. We have always had this love affair for our backups like Essensa, Hedberg blah, blah when really this love was more of just adding a little more salt in the wound of our disliking of our starting goaltender. I've said it before, Luongo will go down as one of this teams best goalies in handling the pressure cooker environment along with Kirk MacLean. I really am having a hard time believing that Ginger will handle this well when adversity finally sets in, cause trust me, it will. Ginger has had the luxury to sit in the background while Luongo bears it all from fans and media.

This whole situation was mishandled during the playoffs against the Kings. We should have ran with Lou cause Lou was not the problem, goal scoring and Quick were. If the collective had decided that Luongo should be the man then we are probably looking at a situation where gillis would have more options like having a happy Luongo and the option of keeping him and trading Ginger whom we all know would get us more quality in return in the youth department. Luongo is only 33, he has lots of quality hockey left in him in which we know what expect rather not knowing what to expect from Scneider cause let's be honest here, it's a complete mystery as to how Schneider will handle the pressure of being the no. 1 goalie. I honestly see a day where Luongo will have the last laugh in all if this

Again, another classic mishandled situation by a rookie GM whom by what we have seen from him so far, should not have quit his day job as player agent.

Get ready to be very disappointed with what we get in return from Luongo, folks.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

nothing more to add to that Pacific Blue... :thumbs: :thumbs:
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

RoyalDude wrote:I really am having a hard time believing that Ginger will handle this well when adversity finally sets in, cause trust me, it will. Ginger has had the luxury to sit in the background while Luongo bears it all from fans and media.
RoyalDude wrote: Luongo is only 33, he has lots of quality hockey left in him in which we know what expect rather not knowing what to expect from Scneider cause let's be honest here, it's a complete mystery as to how Schneider will handle the pressure of being the no. 1 goalie.
I suppose only time will tell whether or not that Ginger can handle the full time duties on a cup contending team, or if (eventually) trading Luongo will prove to be a mistake. Most have loved everything they have heard and seen from Schneider, but with only 38 regular season wins and 1 playoff win in his career, keeping Cory over Lu is risky to say the least...but we will have to wait and see before coming to any sort of conclusion.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

KeyserSoze wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I really am having a hard time believing that Ginger will handle this well when adversity finally sets in, cause trust me, it will. Ginger has had the luxury to sit in the background while Luongo bears it all from fans and media.
RoyalDude wrote: Luongo is only 33, he has lots of quality hockey left in him in which we know what expect rather not knowing what to expect from Scneider cause let's be honest here, it's a complete mystery as to how Schneider will handle the pressure of being the no. 1 goalie.
I suppose only time will tell whether or not that Ginger can handle the full time duties on a cup contending team, or if (eventually) trading Luongo will prove to be a mistake. Most have loved everything they have heard and seen from Schneider, but with only 38 regular season wins and 1 playoff win in his career, keeping Cory over Lu is risky to say the least...but we will have to wait and see before coming to any sort of conclusion.
I think the bigger question is how is Schneider going to perform without having a proven #1 like Lou on the bench as a fail-safe. If Cory is in fact the #1 next season and Luongo is still on the team as the backup, Cory will do fine - once Lou is traded and a new back-up is brought in (be it Lack or through a trade), then the real test for Cory will begin.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

vic wrote: I think the bigger question is how is Schneider going to perform without having a proven #1 like Lou on the bench as a fail-safe. If Cory is in fact the #1 next season and Luongo is still on the team as the backup, Cory will do fine - once Lou is traded and a new back-up is brought in (be it Lack or through a trade), then the real test for Cory will begin.
I posted under the assumtion that Lu would be moved before the start of the season. With everything that has happened I cannot imagine him starting the season as a Canuck.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Luo is a professional and will play to the fullest extent of his ability if he is still here to start the season. Scneider has said time and again that he appreciates having Luo on the team. If we keep Luo to start the season I think his return only increases as Florida and Toronto don't get any traction out of the blocks. Will it be a distraction? Only if we the fans make it one. It won't bother the guys in the room as much as many may think.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

RoyalDude wrote:...cause trust me...
:whistle: