Patience: Gillis is doing the right thing.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Patience: Gillis is doing the right thing.

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:I'm stretching credulity? I'm not the one calling the second or third most sought after defenseman a 'reject' when his former team clearly attempted to re-sign him and clearly went out and signed a (worse) replacement player at their price point after he moved on.

I have no problem with Dale Tallon either, he has his gaffes (the QO business in Chicago, he badly overpaid for a few unrestricted free agents on a couple of occasions, etc) but overall he's done well to put himself in situations where he has the mandate to completely remake an organization and he's done a pretty good job both times.

It doesn't mean everything he touches is gold and every player he can't sign is garbage; the fact is the Panthers have a bunch of bright young defensemen, a marquee player in Brian Campbell and cheaper role players than what Garrison would have cost them. Doesn't make him a bad player, it just means he's worth more to the best teams in the league than he is to a budget team..
Did you know Jovanovski, Ohlund, Mitchell, and Salo were rejects? The Canucks did not re-sign these defensemen because they were no good. :roll:
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Ryan "Reject" Suter
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Fred wrote: Reject of course, did I miss some thing and Florida signed him....your stretching credulity..... I've got no problem with Tallon he may not sound as polished as MG and appease the academic wanna be's but he knows his way around the NHL
For someone with thin skin, who complains of the board's etiquette, you're quite the passive aggressive, unaware board jester.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Call me crazy if you will but I'm reasonably sure Garrison did the rejecting not Florida....
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

tantalum wrote:Call me crazy if you will but I'm reasonably sure Garrison did the rejecting not Florida....
No no. Dale Tallon proceeded to call up Garrison after the season and tell him he was no longer wanted in the Panthers organization (at which point Jason went and packed up all of his things in preparation for a move - as per the reports Fred read - having been rejected).

Then the Panthers and Garrison and his agent conducted a public misinformation campaign in which each spoke to the media repeatedly about ongoing contract negotiations - Tallon to deceive his fellow GMs in a devious and crafty move, and Garrison and his agent in order to... preserve his pride?

Anyway, trust me tant - Jason Garrison is a reject. It doesn't matter that the Panthers apparently tried to sign him, it doesn't matter that he was preparing for free agency ahead of time, it doesn't matter that several other teams tried to sign him - the glorious golden light of Dale Tallon is no longer shining on this player and Fred says we should be afraid.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

dbr wrote: Anyway, trust me tant - Jason Garrison is a reject. It doesn't matter that the Panthers apparently tried to sign him, it doesn't matter that he was preparing for free agency ahead of time, it doesn't matter that several other teams tried to sign him - the glorious golden light of Dale Tallon is no longer shining on this player and Fred says we should be afraid.
He could have signed with any team in the league. That means EVERYONE rejected him. Canucks apparently were the only team crazy enough to sign him. No wonder we suck every year. :(
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Jebuzz Fred, way to pull a 180 in the logic dept from a couple days ago.

:roll:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hang in their Freddy, don't let the gang banging bruise your ego. Stand tall my friend
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

tantalum wrote:Call me crazy if you will but I'm reasonably sure Garrison did the rejecting not Florida....

Tallon wouldn't pay the money Garrison asked.....MG would. You can frame that any way you want. And I'm sure you will. Are you guys related to Gillis in some way, above reproach, never does wrong, he's your second cousin from the Appalachians. Why do so many bristle when some one questions his decissions ?
cheers
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Hang in their Freddy, don't let the gang banging bruise your ego. Stand tall my friend
Hmmm that sounds like something Tim Robbins' character in Shawshank Redemption might've said! :P

Freddy, I have been a major critic of Gillis over the years, but it's hard to criticize the Garrison signing buddy! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Fred wrote: Tallon wouldn't pay the money Garrison asked.....MG would. You can frame that any way you want. And I'm sure you will. Are you guys related to Gillis in some way, above reproach, never does wrong, he's your second cousin from the Appalachians. Why do so many bristle when some one questions his decissions ?
Yeah, because what Garrison wanted to stay in Florida was far more than what he took in Vancouver. Tallon would have happily signed Garrison to the contract he was tendered by the Canucks.

Many media types on July 1st said Garrison was offered more money elsewhere and signed in Vancouver for less.

He wanted +$5M per to stay in Florida, and the Panthers balked, much like how the Predators balked at paying Hamhuis similar money.

But I guess Hamhuis was just a Predators reject.

I'm just trying to help you out here Fred, it's not so much people bashing you and RD for having a different opinion, it's that you both tend to get FACTS laughably wrong at times.

At least RD is doing a schtick part of the time.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Hang in their Freddy, don't let the gang banging bruise your ego. Stand tall my friend
Hmmm that sounds like something Tim Robbins' character in Shawshank Redemption might've said! :P

Freddy, I have been a major critic of Gillis over the years, but it's hard to criticize the Garrison signing buddy! :thumbs:

You're saying exactly what i said when Ballard was brought in.....I learned a lesson. After I've watched the guy I'll give an opinion. I doubt if many if any have seen Garriosn play. At least Ballard was a regular visitor when he was with Phx., and I liked what I saw.....however now he looks a 5th or 6th D. So I'll be patient and wait for Mr Garrison to show his skill.... thanks you
cheers
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Fred wrote: You're saying exactly what i said when Ballard was brought in.....I learned a lesson. After I've watched the guy I'll give an opinion. I doubt if many if any have seen Garriosn play. At least Ballard was a regular visitor when he was with Phx., and I liked what I saw.....however now he looks a 5th or 6th D. So I'll be patient and wait for Mr Garrison to show his skill.... thanks you
So you think that the guy needs to show he fits in a top 4 position on the team? Thats a fair judgement and citing Ballard as comparison is reasonable. This is the type of statement that we like to see.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

RoyalDude wrote:
wienerdog wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:It won't bother the guys in the room as much as many may think.
Unless, of course, the douchbag press in this town has its way.

I CAN HEAR A CERTAIN SOMEONE BRAYING ON AND ON ABOUT IT NOW.

(am i doing it rite?)
And here we have it friends, Gillis Apologist no. 1 - weinerdog

You'd have to be a moron not to realize that it would not be peachy environment if Lou was still in the picture come next season, not when you peel away all that thin layer of professionalism and phoney talk with the media. Lou wants out people, wants to move on, a fresh start, a new beginning. He will put on that prototypical brave face and small talk but beneath all that, his heart left this city when he was benched for Ginger in the L.A. playoff series. Do you want that negativeness in the room? How happy will he be, donning a jersey he knows that eventually he won't be wearing anymore while that lame ass Gillis is working the phones trying to trade him. I will commend that brave face that Lou will put on if he is still around cause ya know he will for he is a class act, but beneath all that, he won't be happy.
Haha, looks like you thought I was calling you out, Big Fella, but I thought it was obvious that I was talking about a certain leather-pants wearing radio hack that has an annoying fucking tendency to TALK IN ALL CAPS when he posts here. We'll get back to Mr. Bikelane Crisis in a second.

As for the title, thanks, but you're way off base. If you were familiar with my posting history - both here and the now non-existant ones at Central - you'd find that I certainly tend to give Gillis the benefit of the doubt, but I'm hardly "Gillis Apologost no. 1".

The guy has made some mistakes - all GM's do - but two President's Trophies in a row and an SCF game 7 loss does indicate to me that the guy is somewhere above the level of "hack" or "lame ass", which is certainly where you seem to categorize him.

As for Luongo, clearly Gillis - along with all the rest of us - would prefer to have him start the year on another team. That's very obviously preference number one.

But when you have a guy like Luongo on the trading block, well, a guy like that doesn't come around too often. It's like selling a $30M penthouse - it's a select market, so you have to patient in finding a proper fit in the buyer.

See, EVERY-FUCKING-ONE involved in this process knows that. Gillis knows it, Tallon knows it, Burke knows it, Luo & Schneider know it, and we all know it too. Well, everyone but you, I guess. :mex:

This is a game of chicken, and so far Gillis is playing it just fine. He's waiting for the right offer on the penthouse. So far, he's getting lowball offers. Because the prospective buyers aren't wanting to pay the proper price...yet.

But GMMG can wait. We have the cap space, and we have a great bunch with really great chemistry. Luongo partly lost his job here because he's got female troubles and he needs to get closer to home - that's not a factor that the Canucks control.

So long as he and Gillis are on the same page of scratching each other's backs - ie. Luo giving more than one destination and MG making an honest effort to move the guy - I couldn't disagree more with your drama queen shit above and I'll say it's not going to be a problem...internally at least.

The press in this town, however, already have their clubs picked out with which they will beat the living fuck out of this horse. They will kill it and then continue to beat it like Michael fucking Jackson.

THAT WAS MY ORIGINAL POINT.

They will pound this day and night. And you know that eventually, it WILL become a problem. That's why it's likely that the grace period will run out by around Xmas time.

Assuming, of course, that that's after 3 months of actual hockey. Keep in mind that w the expiring CBA, we may not even see a puck drop before New Year's regardless, so all of this hand-wringing may be for naught anyway. Gillis may actually have untill March or something.

So far, the only palatable rumours I've heard were:

Luongo = Luke Schenn = no thanks for me
Luongo = Dave Bolland = no thanks for me

So yeah, I'm fine with where Gillis is with Luongo and I don't need to apologize for shit, dude.

On a side note, may I suggest you learn to spell "wiener" - you have one (hopefully), you should know how to use it :thumbs: