Kassian Article - Overcoming adversity

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Kassian Article - Overcoming adversity

Post by tantalum »

A lengthy article from the Jeff Angus.
Zack Kassian could be described as one of many things, depending on who you ask. A thug. A talented young forward. A malicious hitter. Misunderstood. Overhyped. Underrated.

To his friends and family, he is a humble and hard working 21-year-old who had to overcome adversity at a very young age (Kassian was only eight when his father Michael passed away suddenly from a heart attack). To his teammates in Peterborough and Windsor, he was a leader, an offensive force, and a physical presence. To his coaches, he was an intriguing combination of skill and size, and a player who lacked consistency but made up for it with stretches of dominance.

http://thehockeywriters.com/overtime/zack-kassian/
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Kassian Article - Overcoming adversity

Post by clem »

A thug. A talented young forward. A malicious hitter...
:thumbs:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Great article, Kassian is skilled, intelligent, gutsy, and LARGE.

He's also emotionally mature for his age.

I was particularly surprised by how well he sees the ice (after reading scouting reports by Sabre fans).

No one should be surprised to see him reach saaay... 30g 35a one day.

It may take a few years for the... 21 year old... to get there of course!

Ummmm patience dear Nuckies! :hmmm:

LOL most Nuckies had Sedins and Kesler written off as busts until they were 24/25....
____
Try to focus on someday.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Strangelove wrote:Great article, Kassian is skilled, intelligent, gutsy, and LARGE.

LOL most Nuckies had Sedins and Kesler written off as busts until they were 24/25....
Sedins took a lot of harsh comments in their first few years here;

Kesler, I think I called him Denis Pederson before :D
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Kesler, I think I called him Denis Pederson before :D
OUCH, thanks for being honest CC. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Strangelove wrote:Great article, Kassian is skilled, intelligent, gutsy, and LARGE.

He's also emotionally mature for his age.

It may take a few years for the... 21 year old... to get there of course!

Ummmm patience dear Nuckies! :hmmm:
If there is one thing that I found discouraging about Kassian, it was his complete lack of game when it came to trash talk. I noticed one game when he totally backed down from a verbal beating, then he disappeared for the remainder of the match. I remember hearing all about it the next morning from Ferraro on the radio. Chalk it up to a rookie who is used to being the big kid on the block, but received a rude awakening by veteran pros. He's an easy target because of his size and abilities, so I hope he can learn something from Kes/Burr/Lappy and gain a little more confidence in this area, should only help him in becoming an imposing forward.

He'll get there. I look forward to watching his progression over the next couple years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

At camp he comes to a team he is already part of, not joining one for a playoff push and replacing a highly touted first round pick. I think he comes to camp ready to carve out a role for himself. From what I saw I think they want him to play top 9. Hopefully his conditioning will be better and he won't look so gassed out there.

The reality is that AV and MG had to play him given that they gave up Cody to get him. But I would suspect he will be on a short leash with respect to effort and conditioning. If he is not ready he will go to Chicago for the year.

He has a ton of potential but so far it is just that. I think if he comes to camp and feels he is one of the guys we may see the player that MG had hoped he was getting. Its hard to say if the Canucks want him to fight or not. They may want him to play tough but stay away from the fights. You know, the whistle to whistle mentality.

But I can't forget how much bigger everyone played the first few games we had him. So hopefully he recognizes that that is part of his role, to allow others to play bigger which means he has to be able to be the enforcer when called upon, just not a 4th line goon.

He is young, shy and reserved. Time is on his side, for now :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

BladesofSteel wrote:

If there is one thing that I found discouraging about Kassian, it was his complete lack of game when it came to trash talk.
Uhhhhh,,,,

So is there an off season trash talking program we can put him in to help further develop his trash talking ability. Cus uhhhh that's super important,,, right?
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

and he's giant fucker...i met him at Memorial Cup...he has that kinda nutty look in his eyes...the one that scares the fuck outta you...i like him...
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Who doesn't want a....giant scary eyed fucker on your team...huh who?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

He's bested the Bieksa death stare already.

Hard to beat the bug eyed pig that used to play here though.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

a) I agree HW once the league starts up again he will be better he will be battling for a real spot instead of being the new guy
b) AV MUST play him in all situations and give him some time to grow, fine keep him off the ice up/down 1 goal in the last 5 minutes but he needs to avg 12 - 15 mins a night to get better
c) don't really care about the article, it is what is in him that will make him a success or a failure
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:

If there is one thing that I found discouraging about Kassian, it was his complete lack of game when it came to trash talk.
Uhhhhh,,,,

So is there an off season trash talking program we can put him in to help further develop his trash talking ability. Cus uhhhh that's super important,,, right?
.... and your Mom is teaching it.

What I like about Kassian is he's a whack job. Check his criminal past. Skill with an edge that he never shies away from and has a history of crossing the line.

I just hope he doesn't hang himself.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Potatoe1 wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:

Uhhhhh,,,,

Uhhhhh, The dude cowered like a pussy. Not the kind of imposing figure one would expect out of a guy with his physical attributes. If he's too frickin' sensitive, he's useless.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Well, Duncan Keith got the better of him here. *LOL*