Page 3 of 4

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:21 pm
by clem
Hockey Widow wrote:
clem wrote:Either MAG was less of a consideration in the Hodgson deal than we thought, or it reflects poorly on Gillis.

I think he was the look see. They liked what did in the playoffs and wanted a longer look so on a hope and a prayer they landed him.

Now they are clearing the deck it seems.
Getting MAG his requisite games didn't cost us the President's trophy. Else we would have avoided LA.

The guy just couldn't do anything right. :wow:

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:37 pm
by Topper
I don't see the sense in qualifying some of these guys. they are borderline role players, get the major component ducks in a row and then worry about the fringe. MAG was looking like Lukas Krajicek.

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:39 pm
by Farhan Lalji
Gragnani is still young enough to make significant strides is he not?

You can never go wrong with more depth on 'D'..........especially puck carrying defenseman.

Kid deserves another shot in my opinion.

Lets see what he can do.

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:41 pm
by Hockey Widow
MG is clearing the deck folks. Clearing up fodder and contracts and cap space. Lets see where we are when camp opens.

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:44 pm
by BladesofSteel
Farhan Lalji wrote:Gragnani is still young enough to make significant strides is he not?

You can never go wrong with more depth on 'D'..........especially puck carrying defenseman.
At this stage, he'd be standing in the way of Tanev, Sauve, Connauton, Polesek, Corrado et al. The coaching staff and management had a long enough look to know that a) he wasn't effective enough to move ahead with him, and b) he wasn't going to generate a pick or prospect if he was put on the market.

He walks.

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:49 pm
by Potatoe1
BladesofSteel wrote: At this stage, he'd be standing in the way of Tanev, Sauve, Connauton, Polesek, Corrado et al. T

Of that group I only really see Tanev as a regular next year (or the year after tbh).

Hopefully it's as HW says,,, he's clearing the decks to bring in something bigger and better.

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:50 pm
by Strangelove
clem wrote: Getting MAG his requisite games didn't cost us the President's trophy. Else we would have avoided LA.

The guy just couldn't do anything right. :wow:
Don't blame MAG, blame AV!

He should've given MAG more icetime.

STL would have ended up with the President's.

And we would've faced off against the Sharks in the first round.

Even without Daniel we would have beaten the Sharks and moved Schneids into the starting role.

We would have faced the Kings in the 2nd round with a healthy Danny and a ginger in net.

We would have gone on to win the Cup.

Fuckin AV cost us the CUP!!! :evil:

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:52 pm
by Strangelove
Potatoe1 wrote: Hopefully it's as HW says,,, he's clearing the decks to bring in something bigger and better.
They're definitely creating space!

Let's hope the first one in is Schultzie! :thumbs:

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:53 pm
by rats19
Strangelove wrote:
clem wrote: Getting MAG his requisite games didn't cost us the President's trophy. Else we would have avoided LA.

The guy just couldn't do anything right. :wow:
Don't blame MAG, blame AV!

He should've given MAG more icetime.

STL would have ended up with the President's.

And we would've faced off against the Sharks in the first round.

Even without Daniel we would have beaten the Sharks and moved Schneids into the starting role.

We would have faced the Kings in the 2nd round with a healthy Danny and a ginger in net.

We would have gone on to win the Cup.

Fuckin AV cost us the CUP!!! :evil:
Again....

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:54 pm
by Farhan Lalji
BladesofSteel wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:Gragnani is still young enough to make significant strides is he not?

You can never go wrong with more depth on 'D'..........especially puck carrying defenseman.
At this stage, he'd be standing in the way of Tanev, Sauve, Connauton, Polesek, Corrado et al. The coaching staff and management had a long enough look to know that a) he wasn't effective enough to move ahead with him, and b) he wasn't going to generate a pick or prospect if he was put on the market.

He walks.
You've sold me.

To New York Mets: Marc Andre Gragnani
To Vancouver: Bucket of Chicken.

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:58 pm
by BladesofSteel
Potatoe1 wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote: At this stage, he'd be standing in the way of Tanev, Sauve, Connauton, Polesek, Corrado et al. T
Of that group I only really see Tanev as a regular next year (or the year after tbh).
I'm more comfortable with the aforementioned getting call-ups while continuing to develop their game rather than plugging in a journey-man blueliner who can't defend worth shit.

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:03 pm
by Blob Mckenzie
Wow........ A Rome not qualified. Wonder if AV or SC is more devastated by this news.

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:25 pm
by Southern_Canuck
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Wow........ A Rome not qualified. Wonder if AV or SC is more devastated by this news.
Well, we know Meds is happy. :) It also seems likely that moving on from Gragnani and Rome means that Ballard stays.

S_C

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:35 pm
by Hockey Widow
Southern_Canuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Wow........ A Rome not qualified. Wonder if AV or SC is more devastated by this news.
Well, we know Meds is happy. :) It also seems likely that moving on from Gragnani and Rome means that Ballard stays.

S_C
Ballard is said to have had an orgasm!

Re: Qualifying Offers

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:47 pm
by BladesofSteel
Zeimer:
As a restricted free agent, Gragnani did not receive a qualifying offer by Monday's deadline and becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The Canucks also did not extend qualifying offers to restricted free agent forwards Victor Oreskovich and Mike Duco or defenceman Ryan Parent.


Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Grag ... z1yr6YmyPL

No surprises here, and no surprise that Rome wasn't offered a contract extension either. The depth of the blueline needs an overhaul, and they still need a bona fide top pairing D. I expect one of Alberts or Ballard to be moved too, if not both.