Qualifying Offers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Qualifying Offers

Post by Southern_Canuck »

BladesofSteel wrote:No surprises here, and no surprise that Rome wasn't offered a contract extension either. The depth of the blueline needs an overhaul, and they still need a bona fide top pairing D. I expect one of Alberts or Ballard to be moved too, if not both.
Hmmm... but the Canucks only have 6 NHL defencemen under contract right now:

Hamhuis (29) -Bieksa (31)
Edler(26) - ?
Ballard (29) -Tanev (22)
Alberts (30)

Plus they have a few possibilities in Chicago:

Sauve (left) (22)
Connauton (left) (22)
Polasek (left) (20)

I'd say that things are looking a little thin, and it's unlikely that they'll look to be trading anyone...

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Doncha think some warm bodies might become available this weekend S_C?

Also, it seems evident to me, that whatever return Gillis is looking for from one of his tenders will headline a defenseman. Just a hunch though.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And if Salo is needed they can re-sign him for a year. The Canucks are clearing the decks. Have I said that before?

In the past MG has shown a great deal of reluctance to walk away from players for nothing. This year it seems he is more willing to clean out the scrubs and wanna be's and re-tool somewhat. Of course its another retooling of the bottom 6 and the bottom D pairing but you have to think one of these years he will get it right. :D :D

I'm OK with what he has done, or more accurately what he has not done so far this off season.

Isn't the off season exciting?
The only HW the Canucks need
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Oh No the canucks only have 6 D-men signed on June 25!!!!!

Gragnani likely wasn't qualified because they felt a young guy or two was going to be more deserving of a chance with the big club. Or they wanted to free up contract spots to upgrade the depth overall.

Rome was always likely to walk as he will likely receive a stupid deal to play the 4/5 role on a team lacking depth. SUch a contract will be a mistake but he'll get it.

I also think Botchford said Salo will be back and I wouldn't doubt it. A one year deal to play the veteran 6/7 guy would be a great role for the Finn I think. And a nice role for the canucks to have filled. Especially if they manage to attract a younger D-man or two. I also think Ballard will still be gone when all is said and done.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

BladesofSteel wrote:Doncha think some warm bodies might become available this weekend S_C?

Also, it seems evident to me, that whatever return Gillis is looking for from one of his tenders will headline a defenseman. Just a hunch though.
Yes, I think the Canucks have a decent chance of signing right-shooting Schultz, but he's only 21 - if they do sign him he will likely have a mistake filled rookie year, hopefully balanced with some offensive prowess.

I hope the Canucks don't sign the stat-inflated journeyman Garrison.

The Canucks could probably use veteran bench depth and leadership from a Hannan (left) (33), Staios (right) (38), Aucoin (right) (38), or Sarich (right) (33) type.

S_C
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Southern_Canuck wrote: Yes, I think the Canucks have a decent chance of signing right-shooting Schultz, but he's only 21 - if they do sign him he will likely have a mistake filled rookie year, hopefully balanced with some offensive prowess.
Agree, but he's not the only player available on the market.
Southern_Canuck wrote: I hope the Canucks don't sign the stat-inflated journeyman Garrison.
Agree, he will get Ballard like money for one solid year. Not to say he can't match or even better his career year, but I am always skeptical of a journeyman player having a break-out year when he's due for UFA.
Southern_Canuck wrote: The Canucks could probably use veteran bench depth and leadership from a Hannan (left) (33), Staios (right) (38), Aucoin (right) (38), or Sarich (right) (33) type.
Gotta disagree. If Gillis is looking for a veteran bench depth with leadership and character, he already has one in Sami.
While I see where you are going with the stay-at-home rugged type, as IMO it is totally lacking from this lineup, I'm not sure the aforementioned are the right choice for this blueline.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

BladesofSteel wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote: The Canucks could probably use veteran bench depth and leadership from a Hannan (left) (33), Staios (right) (38), Aucoin (right) (38), or Sarich (right) (33) type.
Gotta disagree. If Gillis is looking for a veteran bench depth with leadership and character, he already has one in Sami.
While I see where you are going with the stay-at-home rugged type, as IMO it is totally lacking from this lineup, I'm not sure the aforementioned are the right choice for this blueline.
Maybe those guys aren't the right choices, but the Canucks could use a guy that is OK in the press box for significant stretches, but adds dedication and leadership in the dressing room and practices, and can fill a 5/6 role when called upon. And is a right shot.

If Salo is willing to fill that role, then I'm all for it.

S_C
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:
Maybe those guys aren't the right choices, but the Canucks could use a guy that is OK in the press box for significant stretches, but adds dedication and leadership in the dressing room and practices, and can fill a 5/6 role when called upon. And is a right shot.

If Salo is willing to fill that role, then I'm all for it.

S_C
I think Sami comes back depending on what else happens on July 1st. It now seems that Van is the front runner for Schultz, or at least according to some it is - and perhaps another dman will be signed. Alberts is another guy on the bubble and I'm sure he will be replaced if there's somebody better. I fully expect Gillis to aggressively go after a guy like Garrison as well.

For another defensive center, I think Gillis goes after Jay McClement - he's very solid defensively and possibly the best pker in the league. doesn't score much at all but that's not his role. We all know well how much AV loves his defensive centers.

That leaves another top 6 forward, and I have no idea what Gillis is going to do here. A right winger for the second line is needed badly, we'll see what Gillis decides on soon enough.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The Avs fail to qualify Peter Mueller

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_ ... er-mueller

terminally injured ? or has he turned a corner
cheers
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Garrison has two years of solid defensive play against tough competition and one year of showing some offensive upside.. not bad for a guy with two and a half years in the league.

The appeal to me is that he's a big guy who can play the right side - he could potentially form a very effective pairing with Edler.

At Keith Ballard money we can easily afford Garrison and Ballard with millions left over. Failing that I'd take Garrison over Ballard.. one of them has proved they can't crack the top four and it ain't JG.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Fred wrote:The Avs fail to qualify Peter Mueller
Pat Quinn failed to qualify Cliff Ronning. The Avalanche simply let the kid walk.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Fred wrote:The Avs fail to qualify Peter Mueller

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_ ... er-mueller

terminally injured ? or has he turned a corner

May be injuries. But When he was in Phoenix I heard some bad stuff on the guy. Locker room and off ice issues, some character issues.
The only HW the Canucks need