Alex Edler's next contract

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Post by donlever »

Cornuck wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:Another thing to consider with Burrows & Edler is that they might be wanting a bit of compensation for the past couple of years, feeling that they were underpaid.
I also hope the Burrows considers the story of Anson Carter.

I see what you are brewing there boss man but Burr is so much more than AC even if we just gauge intangibles.

For a further Edler debate Green just signed for 3 years and 18.25.
DeLevering since 1999.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

The first issue is which Edler thread to put this in...

Alex Edler is by far the best offensive defenseman on the team. His skating is very good. No one on the team can spring a breakaway like Edler. He has a great shot but the vision not to use it all the time. He has an off the charts offensive IQ.

Defensively, he generally doesn't get out of position (as much as Bieksa or (obviously) Ballard), but doesn't aniticpate the play as well as Hamhuis. He can lay the body as well as anyone on the back end, but conserves this ability. He is big, and while he doesn't play huge, he is no wallflower. This restraint can frusturate fans, but we've seen he can bring it and he doesn't waste a lot of time needlessly in the penalty box.

He is, in short, the most complete defenseman on this team. And he is 26 years old. While he is not yet that #1 that can anchor a defensive unit, eat up 27 minutes per game, and allow a team to carry a barely-NHL-competent #5-7, I don't rule that out of Edler's potential and his downside for the next 6 or 7 years (absent injuries) is what to get the player we see today. And that's a very, very good player.

The criticism, near as I can tell, is that he made some mistakes. People wanted Kevin Bieska's head on a pike after the Chicago series in 2010 for the same reason, and many rumored him gone. (At that time, I had my frusturations with Bieksa, but thought the Canucks might be getting a better long term value from him than Ehrhoff and suggested that if the Canucks wanted to move a defenseman for a return, it should be Ehrhoff.) If that Canucks were to have lost to Chicago in the first round of 2011, it would be Hamhuis, whose normally cool play experienced far too many blips (that came back in goals against).

In the 2011 series against Nashville, Suter couldn't contend with the Canucks pressure and was overstretched. He was a very good player then as now, but far from perfect. His turnovers led directly to goals. Look what he got paid! Drew Doughty is another -- he quality defenseman in all zones that can do many things exceptionally well, but his play and confidence does result in errors.

Few are perfect; many whose value comes as a function of assisting the offense from the defensive position do so by taking well-timed risks. I think Edler's play is entirely in line with reasonable expectations and he is a core player.

Alex Edler will make at least $6 million per year on the FA market absent material changes in the CBA. The Canucks would do well to lock him up for $5.5 million now if that's an option.

As far as trading him, it is always reasonable to consider a player in a deal; it is all about the return. Interesting to see Weber's name mentioned, as my earlier comments on obtaining Weber have noted that Edler would likely have to be the critical piece in return.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

donlever wrote:For a further Edler debate Green just signed for 3 years and 18.25.
When Green had his great year, he was scoring like a first line forward. A player with that track record, even if only average defensively, makes this kind of green in the FA market.... This isn't even the UFA market, as at least one of these three seasons is an RFA-depressed wage.

But Green's o-production was a two year blip, and I don't see Green coming anywhere close to that level of production again.

And being an average on defense as a defenseman is a much greater liability than being an average on defense winger. And may might think it charitable to consdier Green average defensively.

Who would you rather have -- Edler or Green. To me, it isn't close.
Hono_rary Canadian
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Edler.

That's not even taking into account Greens injury issues over the past two years.

Has he even played 82 games combined over that span?
DeLevering since 1999.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I will say this Green was outstanding for the Kings in the play-offs. IMO he outplayed Mitchell. PLays a tough game dishes out a lot of hits. He turned down Kassian a couple of times, which I don't like.

I recall the year the Hawks won the Cup they had Sopel play a defensive role, who would have guessed it. But that's versatility for you. Green can do the same. But I'd still rather have Edler :D
cheers
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Mike Green Fred.

Washington.
DeLevering since 1999.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

donlever wrote:Mike Green Fred.

Washington.
That was Greene, not Green anyway... :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Washington.
Makes a guy wonder if Fred thinks the Kassian that plays here is Matt.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

UWSaint wrote: Defensively, he generally doesn't get out of position (as much as Bieksa or (obviously) Ballard), but doesn't aniticpate the play as well as Hamhuis. He can lay the body as well as anyone on the back end, but conserves this ability. He is big, and while he doesn't play huge, he is no wallflower. This restraint can frusturate fans, but we've seen he can bring it and he doesn't waste a lot of time needlessly in the penalty box.
This is probably where Garrison comes into play....using the LA Kings as the benchmark now, they had 3 d-lines with an offensive and defensive pairing. The Canucks now have 2.

With JG taking care of the defensive side of the game, and getting the puck out of danger, Edler can start using more of his offensive skills - it's also one of the reasons (IMO), Bieksa's been looking so good out there now, he knows if he makes a mistake, The Hammer's back there to bail him out.

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Washington.
Makes a guy wonder if Fred thinks the Kassian that plays here is Matt.
Or even if our second line centre is Kessel
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

:rofl:

What the ....

I thought they we were talking about Andy Greene.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

And I thought they were talking about Red Green...keep your sticks on the ice...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:I will say this Green was outstanding for the Kings in the play-offs. IMO he outplayed Mitchell. PLays a tough game dishes out a lot of hits. He turned down Kassian a couple of times, which I don't like.

I recall the year the Hawks won the Cup they had Sopel play a defensive role, who would have guessed it. But that's versatility for you. Green can do the same. But I'd still rather have Edler :D
6.1 mill per year seems like an awful lot for Matt Greene doesn't it Fred? (Smile)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Yeah it sure does. I'm not enamoured with the money just the players skill
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

donlever wrote:Edler.

That's not even taking into account Greens injury issues over the past two years.

Has he even played 82 games combined over that span?
Green was also a RFA, not an URFA like Edler will be next year.

Green would get even more then 6 on the open market IMO.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Oooops wrong Green, I was thinking Matt Green from LA, :oops: Mike Green not sure I would want him certainly not at that price. Not my idea of a defensman, probably don't see him enough to make a judgement
cheers