Alex Edler's next contract

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: Edler is also 6'3, 26 years old, and has a higher ppg average over the past 2 years.

Who do you think is the more desirable asset ?

You are absolutely in dream land if you think Edlers salary starts with a 4.
Agreed, this may all be for not if he's traded to Nashville for Weber who's agent said he want's to play here, as we are a contender and him on this team pretty much vaults us to pure contender status.

Edler imo should get 5 to 5.5M per realistically, but if Nashville acquires him for Weber they might have to overpay to about $7M per.
Edler is getting a huge stats bump the past 2 years by getting premium ice time with the top 2 lines on one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL. No doubt he is good, but given how many goals the Canucks have scored, he is going to get some of those points just for being a pylon. My guess is you can cut 5 to 10 points a year from his total if he's playing on an average NHL team with an average power play. And, with a drop in points like that, he's struggling to get $4.5 million a year. He'll get $5 per year for 5 years is my guess. And, that is a fair deal, given my home town bias towards him.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Tciso wrote: Edler is getting a huge stats bump the past 2 years by getting premium ice time with the top 2 lines on one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL.
Every top offensive defenseman is getting a stats bump based on their role and ice time.

They almost always play on the first power play unit and with top6 forwards.

Take them off the power play and use them with the 3rd and 4th line forwards and their points will drop through the floor. For a great example see Keith Ballard.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:Oooops wrong Green, I was thinking Matt Green from LA, :oops: Mike Green not sure I would want him certainly not at that price. Not my idea of a defensman, probably don't see him enough to make a judgement
So you are ok with Matt Green at 6.1 but not Mike Green ?

Errrr, ummm, ok...

BTW Matt Green makes about 3 mill per which seems about right given he is mostly a 3rd pairing guy in LA.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Come on Pot, I already said I wouldn't be happy with that money for Matt Green. Reading comprehension and all that stuff. You like pissing on my cornflakes at least get it right
cheers
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Tciso wrote:
Edler is getting a huge stats bump the past 2 years by getting premium ice time with the top 2 lines on one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL. No doubt he is good, but given how many goals the Canucks have scored, he is going to get some of those points just for being a pylon. My guess is you can cut 5 to 10 points a year from his total if he's playing on an average NHL team with an average power play. And, with a drop in points like that, he's struggling to get $4.5 million a year. He'll get $5 per year for 5 years is my guess. And, that is a fair deal, given my home town bias towards him.
The teams that would be signing Edler to a big fat offer sheet would not be the NHL bottom feeders but elite teams that are desperate for good puck moving D-men - like Detroit or Philly, with solid talent on the PP.

Considering the $$$ that Weber will get, the Canucks may have to pay a bit more for Edler
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Tciso wrote:
The teams that would be signing Edler to a big fat offer sheet would not be the NHL bottom feeders but elite teams that are desperate for good puck moving D-men - like Detroit or Philly, with solid talent on the PP.

Considering the $$$ that Weber will get, the Canucks may have to pay a bit more for Edler
Edler is currently under a contract and is un-restricted next year.

Baring changes to the CBA, an offer sheet is not part of the equation.

That said, the Webber deal will add more fuel to the owners fire and the most certainly will try to cap the length of contracts. This should create a ton of urgency for Edler to sign this summer.

Canucks should offer a 10 to 12 year deal in the 50 mill range and get him locked up on a good cap hit.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Edler is currently under a contract and is un-restricted next year.

Baring changes to the CBA, an offer sheet is not part of the equation.

That said, the Webber deal will add more fuel to the owners fire and the most certainly will try to cap the length of contracts. This should create a ton of urgency for Edler to sign this summer.

Canucks should offer a 10 to 12 year deal in the 50 mill range and get him locked up on a good cap hit.
What I meant was other teams could "make him an offer" (if he gets to UFA)

And I agree with you, we'd better deal with it sooner rather than later, and don't let him walk next summer for nothing
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Zamboni Driver wrote: ....and don't let him walk next summer for nothing
Cold day in Hell before that happens.

Least of our worries.
DeLevering since 1999.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

donlever wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: ....and don't let him walk next summer for nothing
Cold day in Hell before that happens.

Least of our worries.
If he doesn't agree to something before the trade deadline, do we trade him right before a (hypothetical) cup run?

What would he bring in? a player & a couple of firsts?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Zamboni Driver wrote:If he doesn't agree to something before the trade deadline, do we trade him right before a (hypothetical) cup run?
It would take quite the sequence of events (being out of the playoff race, the Edler camp and the Canucks being worlds apart in contract negotiations, etc) for this to happen.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Zamboni Driver wrote: If he doesn't agree to something before the trade deadline, do we trade him right before a (hypothetical) cup run?

What would he bring in? a player & a couple of firsts?
Nope.

If Edler isn't going to sign here he will play out the year and his rights will be dealt before July 1.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

If Edler isn't going to sign here he will play out the year and his rights will be dealt before July 1.
+1
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Because of Weber signing long term with either Philly or Nash, Edler will probably be re-signed by the of August I bet, as much as 6 years - $35M.

Pay a little more so he'll play better! and of course accept the contract, so we don't have to stress about it all season long.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:Because of Weber signing long term with either Philly or Nash, Edler will probably be re-signed by the of August I bet, as much as 6 years - $35M.

Pay a little more so he'll play better! and of course accept the contract, so we don't have to stress about it all season long.
I'm gonna say 7 years, $38.5mil by September 15.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote:Because of Weber signing long term with either Philly or Nash, Edler will probably be re-signed by the of August I bet, as much as 6 years - $35M.

I'm gonna say 7 years, $38.5mil by September 15.
Seems about right... Unless of course ownership wouldn't mind eating a few huge years. A few 10m years on a 10+ year contract could get that cap hit under 5.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P