What will Cory Schneider sign for?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: What will Cory Schneider sign for?

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: The question, or more accurately, the concern I have is not whether Schneider and Halak are salary comparable but rather that Halak's trade value and Schneider trade value are also comparable. One or two Lars Ellers and Ian Shultz-ish players coming back doesn't really feel like a blockbuster improvement for the Canucks...
Well Eller was rated quite high at the time... and just fucking died in Montreal.

BUT, like I keep saying it's all about supply & demand.

Best summer in a long LONG while to be trading a Top 10 goalie says I.
true dat
there is defo gonna be a pregnant pause come draft day where one would expect a trade like what we are hoping for
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

CDC is reporting there is a qualifying offer for Schneids. Also saying that is agent will meet with the Canucks in Pitts.

Interesting if true.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

News 1130 actually reported it, and Schneider's agent confirmed. It was also reported that Weiss was qualified as well.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

BladesofSteel wrote:News 1130 actually reported it, and Schneider's agent confirmed. It was also reported that Weiss was qualified as well.
IIRC, that just leaves Gragnani as the final RFA (from the big club) awaiting a QO.

Eddie Lack, Vic-O (buh-bye), Ryan Parent and Mike Duco remain on the farm.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

BladesofSteel wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:News 1130 actually reported it, and Schneider's agent confirmed. It was also reported that Weiss was qualified as well.
IIRC, that just leaves Gragnani as the final RFA (from the big club) awaiting a QO.

Eddie Lack, Vic-O (buh-bye), Ryan Parent and Mike Duco remain on the farm.
What a disappointment.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Frankly I'd like to see Duco re-sign if they intend to play him in Vcr. He did a reasonable job IMO and does add that "crasy factor" to the roster where teams understand he likes maybe even enjoys the nasty side of the game, what ever happenes Duco eager and willing or he can play good defense on the 4th line. I like the kid
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Fred wrote:Frankly I'd like to see Duco re-sign if they intend to play him in Vcr. He did a reasonable job IMO and does add that "crasy factor" to the roster where teams understand he likes maybe even enjoys the nasty side of the game, what ever happenes Duco eager and willing or he can play good defense on the 4th line. I like the kid
I like Duco but he is just too small for his role. If Duco had Oreskovich's body, Duco might be a regular on the 4th line.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, of course Cory was qualified or he would become UFA. But by July 1 they need to have him under contract or he can sign an offer sheet so if no deal by July 1 I think the Canucks file for arbitration to protect him. All part of the big plan ahead. :D
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:Moreover, I think that Gillis is going to have to be careful here, because if he signs Schneider to a new deal, and then suddenly can't move Lou because of some unforseen circumstance.....well that's a problem. If he moves Lou before he signs Schneider, well then Schneider suddenly has a 4 of a kind and GMMG had better hope they aren't higher than his 4.....
One would have to assume that if Luongo is traded, Schneider and management have come to a mutual agreement on the future of the franchise. If Schneider has told Gillis that he intends to go to UFA and is not interested in a long-term deal with the Canucks, then we should not be moving Luongo.

One would also have to assume that GMMG has assessed Schneider's intensions as well as his integrity on this matter.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:
Mëds wrote:Moreover, I think that Gillis is going to have to be careful here, because if he signs Schneider to a new deal, and then suddenly can't move Lou because of some unforseen circumstance.....well that's a problem. If he moves Lou before he signs Schneider, well then Schneider suddenly has a 4 of a kind and GMMG had better hope they aren't higher than his 4.....
One would have to assume that if Luongo is traded, Schneider and management have come to a mutual agreement on the future of the franchise. If Schneider has told Gillis that he intends to go to UFA and is not interested in a long-term deal with the Canucks, then we should not be moving Luongo.

One would also have to assume that GMMG has assessed Schneider's intensions as well as his integrity on this matter.

I agree Herb. MG will do his due diligence before trading either one. If he doesn't then new extension or not can his ass!!!
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:

I was obviously talking about a total unforseen circumstance.....like Lou suddenly going back on his "for the good of the team" statement and deciding that he doesn't like any of the teams that Gillis is getting the best deal from. In that case, having signed Schneider to anything substantial really puts the Canucks under the gun with a heavy cap commitment in net.

If Schneider's agent see's Lou moved before Schneider is signed, it gives him more bargaining power as the Canucks then have to sign Schneider in order to have talent in the crease.

Obviously MG has talked with Schneider. I think we're only days away from finding out. I can't see this going beyond the draft.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

As the Vancouver Canucks figure out Roberto Luongo’s future, let’s not forget the other shoe that needs to drop.

Canucks goalie Cory Schneider, RFA July 1, needs a new contract.

"Vancouver has certainly talked to us, and we’re receptive, but there isn’t anything imminent at this point," Schneider’s agent, Mike Liut, told ESPN.com Wednesday. "They’d like to get Cory signed, Cory would like to sign in Vancouver."

But at this point, the two sides are not too far down the road in contract talks.

"No," said Liut. "It always appears to me that things accelerate after the draft."

While Liut wouldn’t say this, my own sense is that it’s hard to imagine Schneider being willing to sign until he knows what happens with Luongo first. Only makes sense. http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/1 ... heating-up
So it seems we'd have to wait till we see what happens with RL before CS signs on the dotted line.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:I was obviously talking about a total unforseen circumstance.....like Lou suddenly going back on his "for the good of the team" statement and deciding that he doesn't like any of the teams that Gillis is getting the best deal from. In that case, having signed Schneider to anything substantial really puts the Canucks under the gun with a heavy cap commitment in net.
I suppose if Luongo totally reneged on a previous willingness to be traded to team X then Gillis would be put in a hard place, but even if Schneider was signed to, say, a 4 year $14M deal he'd still be tradable IMO.

But, like you said this would be a totally unforeseen circumstance. Luongo has done nothing to date to indicate that he is that unprofessional.