Draft 2012

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Draft 2012

Post by Lancer »

Diehard1 wrote:You never did say, how many times have you watched Gaunce play? you obviously know him extremely well - please share your personal scouting report.
Saw him twice, as a matter of fact. Saw him in Belleville when they lost to Oshawa 5-1 last October (was primarily looking at Jensen) and the only noticeable thing about him was him losing a draw which ended up in the back of the Belleville net. Saw him again in Ottawa and I didn't exactly notice him either. In fact, I had to do some thinking about it when the pick happened to try and remember anything that stood out about him because I had seen Belleville twice and the only thing that stood out for me was the lost draw. Absurdly small sample size? Yup. But what I did see didn't impress me any.

Sober this morning and can't say I hate the pick but again I'll have to wait to get excited about Gaunce as a prospect because I can't say as I'm excited about him. The fact that he is a devotee of the Gary Roberts training program is a plus as it's a sign that he's committed to strength, conditioning and the lifestyle of a successful athlete. Again, I can only wonder how he'll feel about the organization after a summer of bile coming from Roberts and Hodgson about the Canucks organization. To me, it comes down to his skating and reports vary - just as they did with Hodgson but it was evident that even with a couple of summers of training (albeit abbreviated by injury) that his skating was still a weakness last summer and a factor in how he was employed in sheltered minutes. People who point to the Sedins neglect the fact that Gaunce has nowhere near the skill or hockey IQ of the twins. If he can't improve his skating, then what else can he do to compensate? You can't teach size, but I would say it's also very difficult to teach skating as well.

Anyhow, this is what happens when one drunk-posts. I'm not a scout, but it's just my opinion (now minus the alcohol-fuelled emotion). I'm still not excited or overly impressed with Gaunce as a prospect and perhaps was spoiled by the fact Gillis was able to snag Jensen at 29. We'll see what happens with this kid, and perhaps Dave Gagner can justify Gillis' faith in him as a player development guru. That said, my hopes are guarded at best, and I still wouldn't bet more than $10 that Gaunce will become a poor-man's version of Richards, Getzlaff or Kesler.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Boston Canucker wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:So what do we know about LW Alexandre Mallet of Rimouski (QMJHL) outside of Vancouver taking him 57th overall?
Just looked him up, see link. He had a scoring outburst this year, he's 20, so maybe a late bloomer, ready for AHL, but also very gritty, can thrown them, see youtube clips of his fights in linked page. As always, who knows, but another gritty Center, and he's got some scoring touch.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next-un ... re-mallet/
Double-edged sword about overage picks: Either they finally figured out how to dominate a league filled with kids less physically mature and experienced than themselves and just do as expected of a player their age in major junior, or the light finally turned on and they unlocked potential within themselves that will translate higher. The plus side is he may be ready earlier because of his physical maturity, but the minus is he may in fact be just further behind the curve than other players his age.

We'll see how he does in Chicago, but when was the last time the Canucks drafted a QMJHL forward who panned out? There's always a first time, I guess.

Would have been nice if Gillis had been able to trade up to get the likes of Sissons or Sutter, but with no picks till the 5th round methinks that would have been quite the rabbit to pull out of the hat.

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

"a summer of bile coming from Hodgson and Roberts"

You are a drama queen Lancer. I have not seen Guance play myself so i can't comment. He seems like a real good kid with a good head on his shoulders and not a primadonna like Coho. We'll see I guess. If he can turn into a solid 3rd line centre who can kick in 15 - 20 goals a season that's a good pick at 26 in the 1st round.

This Mallet kid looks interesting. His production shot up 62 points in one season! Apparently this was the first year he played top 6 minutes and he took full advantage of the situation. He also pounded the shit out of every guy he has fought. He looks mean..... can throw with both hands.

I was hoping for Damon Severson with this pick as I have seen him play a bit. Big western boy RH shot, physical. NJ got themselves a player at #60. Would have been interesting if Dalton Thrower had slipped to us .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Lancer wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:So what do we know about LW Alexandre Mallet of Rimouski (QMJHL) outside of Vancouver taking him 57th overall?
Just looked him up, see link. He had a scoring outburst this year, he's 20, so maybe a late bloomer, ready for AHL, but also very gritty, can thrown them, see youtube clips of his fights in linked page. As always, who knows, but another gritty Center, and he's got some scoring touch.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next-un ... re-mallet/
Double-edged sword about overage picks: Either they finally figured out how to dominate a league filled with kids less physically mature and experienced than themselves and just do as expected of a player their age in major junior, or the light finally turned on and they unlocked potential within themselves that will translate higher. The plus side is he may be ready earlier because of his physical maturity, but the minus is he may in fact be just further behind the curve than other players his age.

We'll see how he does in Chicago, but when was the last time the Canucks drafted a QMJHL forward who panned out? There's always a first time, I guess.

Would have been nice if Gillis had been able to trade up to get the likes of Sissons or Sutter, but with no picks till the 5th round methinks that would have been quite the rabbit to pull out of the hat.
Gillis seems to like going to the Q, a lot more than the dub anyway. I have no idea about this kid but he's 20 and likely ready soon. His biggest comparable is Steve Downie and that's a player who is needed. Who knows what he'll become.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:"a summer of bile coming from Hodgson and Roberts" You are a drama queen Lancer. I have not seen Guance play myself so i can't comment. He seems like a real good kid with a good head on his shoulders and not a primadonna like Coho.
Blob, they said the same things about Hodgson when he was drafted. "Character kid" "tons of leadership" and all that stuff, including from Gillis' own lips. Any rumblings to the contrary seemed be under a carpet somewhere that only came to light when the two sides came to dispute. Now, you have Hodgson throwing darts at the Canucks through intermediaries, some of the same intermediaries Gaunce will encounter this off-season. Not saying that's exactly the case with Gaunce, but players talk (see - Edmonton) and you have to wonder what is going to be said at Gary Roberts' facility this summer. He may make up his own mind, and kudos to him if he does. Drama queens create drama, Blob, I'm just seeing potential drama judging from what's already there.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I heard we drafted Nathan Smith, oops I mean Brendan Gaunce. We will be saying a few years from now like we say with every B.C. kid that ends up being a good player in the NHL that we could have picked. "Why didn't we draft Dalton Thrower?" Gaunce seems like the classic "safe pick" that doesn't work out -good size, not a great skater, good in both ends of the rink, not great offensively, not tough, good attitude, potential 3rd line centre in the NHL. When you are drafting late in the game of the 1st round and beyond, you look for the intangibles, "does this kid do something real well? Enough to overlook the faults?" I really hate the classic 'Nathan Smith Bean(Moneyball) safe pick'.

I'm trying not to be down on the pick, I am hopeful...I do like the fact that he elevates his play in 'big' games which is a good sign. It will be nice to 'finally' see a Canucks player on Team Canada at the WJC's. I just seem to be getting Nathan Smith flash backs for some reason.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pacific Blue please don't reference Moneyball until you have read the book. You are making yourself look foolish. Your co-operation in this matter will be appreciated. Have YOU ever seen Brendan Gaunce ???? I didn't THINK so . YOUR Vancouver Canucks needed some size and chutzpah in the lineup and Mr Gillis is TRYING to adress this matter.

The comparisons to Nathan Smith are laughable considering this player scored 20 more points than Mr Smith in his draft year. PLEASE put down the jug of paint thinner and the box of rags.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Pacific Blue please don't reference Moneyball until you have read the book. You are making yourself look foolish. Your co-operation in this matter will be appreciated. Have YOU ever seen Brendan Gaunce ???? I didn't THINK so . YOUR Vancouver Canucks needed some size and chutzpah in the lineup and Mr Gillis is TRYING to adress this matter.

The comparisons to Nathan Smith are laughable considering this player scored 20 more points than Mr Smith in his draft year. PLEASE put down the jug of paint thinner and the box of rags.
I made an edit, Blob...added a small paragraph at end to express my hopefulness for Gaunce, I ain't completely down on the kid. Maybe I was expecting some more gonads from Gillis this draft, maybe he is gun shy now from the draft day Ballard trade. I was kind of hopeful for BC kid Thrower, I liked the way he throws 'em after seeing his scrap against the much bigger Tom Wilson at the prospects game. Kind of reminds me of a Kevin Bieksa. I'm hoping we can land Lukas Sutter with our 2nd, the kid loves to scrap. Don't think Thrower will be around by the time we pick in the 2nd round.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lay off the booze kid.....they are in the 6th round now. Gillis drafted a major league a-hole/power forward in the 2nd round. This kid throws cinder blocks. Then he drafted a lanky d-man Ben Sutton who is heading to Maine U next season. Supposedly a very skilled kid.

I would have liked Thrower myself or Severson in the 2nd round, but this Mallet kid looks like an animal and he scored 81 points . Thrower got snatched up just before our 2nd pick.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Wesley Myron with their 6th pick..........what a fucking name ! Dude must have gotten an earful growing up.

42 points in 26 games as a 20 year old in the BCHL. Thinking he might be heading to a college somewhere ???? :?
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Wesley Myron with their 6th pick..........what a fucking name ! Dude must have gotten an earful growing up.

42 points in 26 games as a 20 year old in the BCHL. Thinking he might be heading to a college somewhere ???? :?

Heading to Boston U.

http://beanpotforum.wordpress.com/recru ... -recruits/
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

I don't really understand how people can be down on a kid who most of the scouting services should have been gone in the top20.

And for the record all of this "3rd liner", safe pick nonsense is the same garbage people were saying when we picked Kesler.

How'ed that work out?
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Potatoe1 wrote:I don't really understand how people can be down on a kid who most of the scouting services should have been gone in the top20.

And for the record all of this "3rd liner", safe pick nonsense is the same garbage people were saying when we picked Kesler.

How'ed that work out?
I think people's cynicism or optimism take over on draft day.

Truth is, it's a crapshoot for the teams b/c there is always a bit of a guessing game, and thus we as fans know even less. Who the hell knows? I remember all the hype about Josh Holden, thought this kid was going to be the next captain, and nada. But then I recall when they drafted Kesler in 03 and Schneider in 04, can't say I was overly impressed with either...

Let's face it, most of us watched the draft waiting for six words: "we have a trade to announce."
old calamari
CC Veteran

Post by old calamari »

Lancer..If Hodgson wants to run some shit about the Canucks to this kid he is fukin dumb as the gloves will come off with his former teamates who have been dead silent about the trade. You know the saying what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Besides isnt Tanev training with Roberts camp this year? if so no darts will be tossed by Roberts as he has a business to run and probaby a lucrative one at that.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

All picks are on the plus side of 6' and all but on are on the plus side of 200lbs. Both good signs.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.