Farhan's $0.05: Does this Canuck core simply lack character?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

For years, I have openly thought of ideas (much to the chagrin of many :P ) on how to improve this team.........whether it's bringing back the WCE (lol), bringing in Lecavlier (lol), trading for Weber, trading for Nash, trading for Tavares, trading for Staal and Ward, Getzlaf, etc., etc., etc. Hell - even trading Luongo and Kesler for all of Toronto's prized prospects.

As absurd and unrealistic as many of these ideas were, it was all with the intention of making this team better so that we could win a cup.

However - is it really talent that we lack?...........or on the most fundamental level, does this team simply lack heart and character?

Since late 2008:

I know I was in the minority, but I honestly believe that the 20082/2009 team was talented enough to win a cup that year. Before Luongo's 2 month injury, the Canucks were REALLY starting to tear it up. Luongo already had 5 shutouts, and the Canucks were beating teams in a wide variety of ways. Once Luongo came back, along with Sundin finally starting to round into form, I thought the Canucks' chances were as good as any.

(Although finally around end of December/late January, the Canucks finally started to show signs of struggle as they lost 9 straight without Lou........and in MANY of those games, they simply gave up leads and/or late goals......as it became evident that they were pressing too hard to break the streak.........was this the stuff of champions?). Anyway - playoffs:

-First round: Although the score flattered us, we took out St. Louis in 4.
-Second round: This is where I disagree with most. I actually think that the Canucks were a better team than the Hawks this year........but simply lost due to a disturbing mental fragility. Case in point - Game 1: We almost blew a 3-0 lead. Game 2 - we blew a 2-0 lead. Game 4 - we gave up a goal in the dying minutes. Game 6 - moments after scoring and taking leads, Chicago was scoring themselves and tying up the game.

In 2010:

First round: Although the Canucks managed to take out the Kings, the Kings crawled into their head. For the life of us, we could not kill a penalty for the first 2/3's of that series. Was it really a lack of talent, or was there something else at play here? (i.e. lack of heart, being mindfucked, etc.).

Second round: Unlike the previous year, I think the Hawks were a far more talented and better team than Vancouver. However - we had them on the ropes. Game 1 - Out of sheer anger and determination, the inferior Canucks destroyed the Hawks 5-1. In Game 2, the Canucks jumped out to a very quick 2-0 lead. The Hawks then battled back and won the game........which then broke the Canucks' spirit.

They were thoroughly dominated at home for two games, and then got lucky in Game 5 when Chicago was caught napping. In Game 6 - Chicago raped us once again. 3 blowout losses. Was Chicago really THAT much better than us?

2011:

First round: Blown 3-0 series lead against a now significantly inferior team in Chicago. Dying minute goal given up to Jonathan Toews in Game 7. Canucks escape series.

Second round: Game 2 - fucking idiotic dipshit dying minute goal to allow Nashville to tie the game late....ultimately resulting in a loss in OT. Game 5 - a massive drop off in level from the first few games.......possibly attributing to the fact that the Canucks thought they had the game in the bag.

Third round: Great performance by the Canucks.........but also went to show that the Canucks, when not facing a team that has a top-tier shut down pairing, a top notch goalie, and a top shut down center, play like their regular season selves. Unfortunately - in playoff hockey, you will rarely meet a team that lacks all 3 of these qualities.

Finals: I mean seriously...........are you kidding me? 2-0 series lead. Game 3 comes - and the Canucks have the mentality that its "in the bag." Not only are they down 5-1 with only 3 minutes to go, but they decide, "fuck it.........this game's done...........which then prompts Boston to score 3 quick garbage goals...........which plants a seed of doubt in our minds........while raising Boston's confidence.

Game 4 - no push back. Game 6 - no emotional response to Raymond getting injured........unlike how Boston reacted when Horton got smacked. First goal given up - leads to whole team completely collapsing/getting deflated..........despite us out playing the Bruins up until that point. Oh - forgot to mention - D. Sedin completely whiffed an open net!

2012:

Game 1: Late goal in the dying minutes to Dustin Penner to make it 3-2 Kings. Idiotic penalties by Vancouver throughout the game.

Game 2: Last second goal to Dustin Brown in first period. Completely changed momentum of game.

Game 5: Blew a 2-1 lead heading into the 3rd period.

Overall effort in this series = these guys looked like they were "tired" and "jaded.".........unlike Boston who actually played quite well, but got unlucky against a Capitals team that was firing on all cylinders.

Compare the Vancouver Canucks of last year to the LA Kings of this year (so far anyways).

And so - I ask the good people of Canuckscorner: Is this Canucks core really the stuff of champions? Or are they simply trodding down the same path as San Jose?
Spock
CC Veteran

Re: Farhan's $0.05: Does this Canuck core simply lack charac

Post by Spock »

Talent vs "Heart".....

I would argue that last season, during the playoffs, there simply were not enough healthy Canucks to win the finals. Kesler's hip, Edler's hand, Rome suspension, Hamhuis injury, Raymond's back ---not to mention "bite-gate"; they ran out of gas physically and mentally. And perhaps they also lost faith in Luongo.

I think that, in part, was one of the reasons AV went with Schnieder. Perhaps he felt the team didn't believe in Luongo anymore - that he couldn't shut the door behind them.

Do do I think they lack character? Do they lack the "will to win"? I don't think so - not yet anyway. I think with Schneider in nets next season as the #1 we will see what they have. This team had enough character to get to the SCF a season ago Farhan. That takes character and heart, not just talent. I think they can do it again - albeit with a goaltender they believe can hold the fort behind them.

Live Long and Straight down the Fairways

Spock
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Spock wrote: This team had enough character to get to the SCF a season ago Farhan. That takes character and heart, not just talent. I think they can do it again - albeit with a goaltender they believe can hold the fort behind them.

Spock
Good thoughts Spock. I'll just comment on the above statement. Was their SCF run more indicative of their character?........or their insane amount of talent? Lets face it - the Canucks absolutely annihilated the league during the regular season last year. They finished 10 points above whoever finished 2nd, and finished 1st in almost every single statistical category........and yet when the playoffs hit, they barely won their games.

By the time Game 7 in the cup finals rolled around, the Canucks were extremely banged up...............but I can't help but wonder if it should have and could have been prevented. Chicago should have been taken out in 4, and Nashville in 4/5.

I look at last year's Canuck team and cannot figure out why they didn't do what LA are doing this year.

You look at this team stemming back to 2009, and there's a ton of last minute goals given up, throwing games in lackluster efforts, and silly diving which does nothing more than piss off the refs. Just not sure if this is the stuff of champions. :?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Farhan Lalji wrote: I look at last year's Canuck team and cannot figure out why they didn't do what LA are doing this year.

..because they were shit can beat, hurt, emotionally and physically exhausted/dead and simply did not have it in them to make the run.

They are pro athletes yes. This elevates them above most of us when it comes to athleticism, endurance, will, whatever words you want to use.

But they are also human, this ain't the Avengers here.

I said it two months ago and I'll say it again.

Canuck power brokers knew a run this year was highly unlikely.

That's one of the reasons he who shall not be discussed was so easily dealt.
DeLevering since 1999.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

donlever wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: I look at last year's Canuck team and cannot figure out why they didn't do what LA are doing this year.

..because they were shit can beat, hurt, emotionally and physically exhausted/dead and simply did not have it in them to make the run.

Sorry Donny - I was referring to the 2010/2011 team that went to the SCF (for the record - I think I agree with you as it pertains to this past season).

I can't figure out why the 2010/2011 team didn't have the run that the current LA Kings team is having now.

Why couldn't they put away Chicago in 4 when they should have? (and I know the whole "food poisoning" story is there, but I don't quite buy it).

Those 3 extra games added up...........along with the last minute goal to Nashville in Game 2 + the lackluster effort in Game 5 in that series.

I don't see why we didn't do in 2010/2011 what the Kings are doing this year.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...there's always another team out there throwing a hitch in your get along.

To bad Radulov and Kostitsyn weren't around to butt fuck the Preds room while we were playing them.

We did oust the Sharks in 5 as well.

Considering Hockey Widow stands by the food poisoning story I'm inclined to believe it.

She's been bang on far to often over the last decade with her inside info.
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Your Vancouver Canucks have an abundance of character.

You want MORE character?

Trade the Sedins for Carter & Richards.

Or sumthin like dat dere. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

donlever wrote:
Considering Hockey Widow stands by the food poisoning story I'm inclined to believe it.
Food poisoning???

I thought a dressing room attendant stinkfingered himself and seasoned the food with his hoop juice ?? :?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..the Sedins don't have character?

Unsure where you're going here Doc?

Are you doing your Donald S. Friday afternoon impression?
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
donlever wrote:
Food poisoning???

I thought a dressing room attendant stinkfingered himself and seasoned the food with his hoop juice ?? :?

...half a dozen replies into a GM thread and we have buttfucking and stinkfingering in the mix already.
DeLevering since 1999.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

donlever wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
donlever wrote:
Food poisoning???

...half a dozen replies into a GM thread and we have buttfucking and stinkfingering in the mix already.
:lol:

It's a freestyle Friday Mister.
Kinda pissed off that the horse that was named after me has pulled up lame for the Belmont tomorrow.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote:..the Sedins don't have character?

Unsure where you're going here Doc?

Are you doing your Donald S. Friday afternoon impression?
You got me.

Just trying to srir the shit à la a Chicago dressing room attendant.

I did it because I figured this thread already smelled like ass. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Kinda pissed off that the horse that was named after me has pulled up lame for the Belmont tomorrow.
ha!

Yep, would have been interesting to see if he could have pulled it off.

Nice little Vancouver connection and all.

Alas...
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I had a paarden rookvlees sandwich for lunch and maybe I'll have another.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:I had a paarden rookvlees sandwich for lunch and maybe I'll have another.
Sometimes you eat the horse and sometimes... errrr....

I smell horseshit Topper.
____
Try to focus on someday.