Farhan's $0.05 - The way we used Kesler in 2011 playoffs vs.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Farhan's $0.05 - The way we used Kesler in 2011 playoffs vs.

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Farhan's $0.05 - The way we used Kesler in 2011 playoffs vs. this year

The way we used Ryan Kesler in the 2011 post-season was THE perfect way to use him in my opinion (although in our case, we were a little too dependent on Kesler and we ended up overplaying him which may have lead to him getting injured down the stretch).

Although Kesler was our #2 center on the 2nd line, he was used to shut down Jonathan Toews in the Chicago series and Heatley's line against San Jose. Even against Nashville, Kesler was used to shut down their top line.......and most of Kesler's goals were a result of playing defense first and then countering after.

Although losing Malhottra sucked, I don't think Manny would have been able to do what Kesler was able to do. Defensively.. Not only that, but Kesler was flat out lighting up Rinne in the Nashville series. We all know that guys like Manny, Pahlsson, etc., can't hold a candle to Kesler's offensive abilities when Kesler is healthy.

THAT is the Ryan Kesler that we need. THAT is the Ryan Kesler that played against Team Canada during the 2010 Olympics. Defensive first, followed by strong offensive chances as a result of great defensive efforts.

I don't know how many people on here remember the start of the 2008/2009 season all that well, but this was also the Ryan Kesler that we saw. At that time, Kesler and Burrows were anchoring the 3rd line..........and were the top shut down defensive line. However - not only were they so damned effective at shutting down opponents, but these guys were scoring lots of goals as well.....to the point where they started getting the equivalent of 2nd line minutes.

The point I'm making is this:

We need THAT Ryan Kesler in our line-up, and we need THAT Ryan Kesler to play in that role. If Ryan Kesler plays that role, then we don't need all 3 of Pahlsson, Malhottra, and Lapierre. One of these three will suffice.

By the way - this was also one reason why I was not a fan of bringing in Pahlsson at the deadline this past February. I knew that once Pahlsson got here, that HE would be the one getting the "shut down" role (him and/or Manny)......which, in an indirect way, would prevent Kesler from being used in the role that makes him most effective. Although both Pahlsson and Manny played the role well, they simply cannot do what Kesler can do. Not only that, but Kesler can actually score playing that role as well.

One thing that irritated me in these past playoffs, was how the Canucks were trying to use Kesler. Kesler is not an "offense first" kind of guy, and his game will suffer when he has that mindset in my opinion.

Kesler should've been the guy shutting down Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar, and Justin Williams, as opposed to being made a bitch out of by Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Dwight King. THAT is the type of Kesler that we needed, and THAT is the type of Kesler we need going forward in my opinion.

There is a reason why Ryan Kesler is a selke trophy worthy player and not someone like Malhottra or Pahlsson.

I have absolutely nothing against Malhottra or Pahlsson and like both players very much, but I'd rather see the Canucks let both players go to another team while at the same time, bringing in another skilled offensive minded center.
Topper
CC Legend

Re: Farhan's $0.05 - The way we used Kesler in 2011 playoffs

Post by Topper »

Cole Notes: Farhan wants a healthy Ryan Kesler in the line up.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Topper wrote:Cole Notes: Farhan wants a healthy Ryan Kesler in the line up.
Thank you.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

:)

Well not only that, but him being used in the right way.

A healthy Ryan Kesler would have still been shut down by Mike Richards.

However - a healthy Ryan Kesler wouldn't have let Dustin Brown or Anze Kopitar even get a whiff of Luongo/Schneider's jock strap. Kesler probably would have scored 2, maybe 3, goals against that line as well.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cornuck wrote:
Thank you.
Not just that, but him being used in (what I perceive to be) a more suitable role as well.

I want the Kesler that completely owned Jonathan Toews, Mike Fisher, and Thornton last year (and also Heatley's line when San Jose started using Heatley/Couture/Setogucchi as their top line). Shutting down the top lines of opposing teams', while having the ability to score by countering. Kesler did the same thing to Staal/Getzlaf/Perry during the round robin.

If we used Kesler last year in the silly manner that we used him this year (healthy or not), then his mouth would've been used as a semen drop off against guys like Patrick Sharp, Dave Bolland, Dave Legwand, Brad Marchand, etc.

A healthy Kesler would have still been owned and shut down by Mike Richards. However - a healthy Kesler, in a more suitable role, would have prevented Brown and Kopitar from scoring as much.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

God bless you sir.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

GEORGE IS GETTIN' UPSET! :evil:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:lol:

(we're just kidding around) :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Put it this way: If we have a healthy Ryan Kesler in the line-up, and he's being used in the right way, then we don't need all three of Pahlsson, Malhottra, and Lapierre. Just one of those guys would suffice.

The Canucks however - could use another skilled offensive minded center instead.

H.Sedin
Kesler (at his best when being used to shut down opposing top lines while also providing offense from turnovers/countering)
skilled center
Lapierre

Instead of

H.Sedin
Kesler (being used primarily in an "offense first" role. Shutting down is reserved for Pahlsson and/or Manny).
Pahlsson
Malhottra-Lapierre
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Strangelove wrote::lol:

haha, I know.

Hence - my Seinfeld reference. :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote::lol:

I was serious.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Me too (Farhan, notice the wink).

I was just kidding around when I said I was just kidding around.

Independent Farhan has too much posting time on his hands.

One wonders when Relationship Farhan will kill Independent Farhan. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: I was serious.
Wait...... a...... SECOND!

Seriously?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Strangelove wrote:Me too (Farhan, notice the wink).

I was just kidding around when I said I was just kidding around.

Independent Farhan has too much posting time on his hands.

One wonders when Relationship Farhan will kill Independent Farhan. :drink:
Independent Farhan likes his peaceful off days (along with spicy chicken). :P

Independent Farhan, the one that you know and love, will never allow his world to collide with relationship Farhan. :drink:

Besides - for what it's worth, my young lady friend wants me to go watch some garbage with her tonight (Snow White and the Huntsman :oops: -).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^^ LOL, so what do YOU get out of this deal? :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.