Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Topper » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:24 am

Reefer2 wrote:
dbr wrote:dbr post .

dbr - what you provided is correct but you are only mentioning the players who we think/heard was available. It is MG job to call any GM about players who may not be available and see if a deal can be made. I am fairly sure the hears and knows a hell of a lot more than we think are even rumours.

Please don't ask me to post what/who I think it should be, I am not an NHL GM and I don't have the resources he does.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:27 am

Reefer2 wrote:
dbr wrote:dbr post .

dbr - what you provided is correct but you are only mentioning the players who we think/heard was available. It is MG job to call any GM about players who may not be available and see if a deal can be made. I am fairly sure the hears and knows a hell of a lot more than we think are even rumours.

Please don't ask me to post what/who I think it should be, I am not an NHL GM and I don't have the resources he does.

Who knows, maybe there was a "perfect fit" type of trade out there, a team with too many centers (can't think of one off hand) desperate for a winger and a defenseman who can skate like the wind without worrying much about the fact that they're guys battling for depth roles on a good NHL team, and Mike Gillis said no to Mason Raymond and Keith Ballard for _______ just for the hell of it.. but given the lack of deals going on around the league I don't think that's the case.

From the trades we can see.. there aren't a lot of options. But maybe the 25 GMs who've done more or less nothing this year are all just 100% happy with their rosters. :look:
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:12 pm

MG is hampered by the fact he can't take much term back on a long term contract. In spite of his saying otherwise they have cap concerns for next year. Unless he can trade Luongo, Ballard and Booth he will have to buy out two of those players. So a rental is the best he can hope for and that may be just to expensive for us. It gets back to believing if you have what it takes to win this year you pull the trigger, if you don't feel you do then you play it out, hope for the best and re-tool in the summer.

Maybe Lack makes a full and speedy recovery and can be a back up next year. Maybe one or two of our young guns make the jump. Maybe one of our D prospects steps up. Maybe he frees up enough cap to land a FA or two on reasonable deals.

But I just don't see him taking term back in a deal right now. It is after all what is said to have killed any Luongo deal thus far is a team wanting him to take term back. He has said, and I believe, he has had deals on the table he could live with but it would require him taking term back. If he could unload Ballard and Booth and Luongo then maybe he can take term back and exercise a buyout.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Mondi wrote:But to blame a coach whose GM has

1.Given him a forward crew that includes Schroeder and Raymond as 2L fixtures;
2. Includes Booth, Weise, Ebbet, Tostitos as regulars; and
3. Got rid of Malhotra, Hodgson; and
4. Has not dealt with the absense of Kesler; and
5. Thought getting read of Salo and Erhoff in favour of Garrison and Ballard was a good idea; and
6. Though signing Roberto at age 30 to 12 year contract was good idea,

...is fucking nonsense. :roll: 8-)

1. Schroeder and Raymond are basically filling in for Kesler and Booth who have been injured.

2. Booth has been injured, Ebbett is a reserve player, Weise and Sestito are decent 4th liners.

3. Stumpy's problems are legendary, and.. WHAT... you think Malhotra should still be playing? :shock:

4. Kesler cannot be replaced Mr GM Wannabe.

5. That was not the thinking process.

6. Remind me to explain to you sometime the logic behind a "cap circumvention" contract.

I'm not saying GMMG is great and AV is shite.

Not "blaming" AV.

But I am saying FIRE AV! :thumbs:

Thanks for listening....

You need to consult a dictionary for the difference between "dealt" and "replaced". Cap circumvention? 5+ million is a lot for Roberto Luongo when compared to the other goalies in the league. Particularly, when you give the guy a lifetime contract.

Raymond and Schroeder are doing a remarkable job, given the circumstances. But, Raymond? Are we at the point where Raymond has to be relied upon to score goals? I think we are. And the getting rid of Hodgson, cutting Malhotra and not dealing with Kesler are a combined failure. Where are the NHL centres on this team?

By the way, it sounds like you think GMMG should have kept Erhoff.

As for whether Salo is better than Garrison...maybe, maybe not. But Salo fills a need Garrison does not. He was also more creative offensively and a more dynamic player. Injuries and age aside, Salo is way better. Injuries and age included, it's a toss up. Particularly given the "window" with the Sedins.

Gillis is an okay GM. But between him and AV, it's not even close as to who is doing the A work and who then B-/B.

And please, don't defend David "empty netter" Booth. This guy is a good athlete with some offensive skills, but he appears to lack good sense on and off the ice. He makes $4 million. He and Ballard are a lot of cap space for virtually nothing.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:41 pm

But, Raymond? Are we at the point where Raymond has to be relied upon to score goals? I think we are.

Raymond is T-17th for goals amongst left wingers... He's 100% a top-6 player and SHOULD be relied on to score goals. Guy's got more goals than Zetterberg and Hall.

By the way, it sounds like you think GMMG should have kept Erhoff.

It sounds like you think it was a reasonable option. If you think Luongo's contract is bad, Ehrhoff's deal is a $4M cap hit until he's 39. This is a guy we got for nothing, and is at best a mediocre d-man in his own zone. He'd be nice to have, but so would Vinny Lecavalier, the price is too much for what he brings.

As for whether Salo is better than Garrison...maybe, maybe not. But Salo fills a need Garrison does not. He was also more creative offensively and a more dynamic player. Injuries and age aside, Salo is way better. Injuries and age included, it's a toss up. Particularly given the "window" with the Sedins.

Garrison is a better option for this franchise. If anything, the Sedin "window" gets a couple more years added onto it by replacing Salo with a younger, more durable guy who can make up Salo's production.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Mondi wrote:You need to consult a dictionary for the difference between "dealt" and "replaced".

Okay smartass how should GMMG have "dealt with the absense of Kesler"?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??

Mondi wrote:Cap circumvention? 5+ million is a lot for Roberto Luongo when compared to the other goalies in the league.

AHHHHNNNNNN wrong answer Hans!

Mondi wrote:Raymond and Schroeder are doing a remarkable job, given the circumstances. But, Raymond? Are we at the point where Raymond has to be relied upon to score goals?

I'd say your Vancouver Canucks are relying on scoring by committee at this point.

Sure Raymond doesn't wear down defenders like say David Booth, but he's part of the committee and hey it's working.

Mondi wrote:And the getting rid of Hodgson, cutting Malhotra and not dealing with Kesler are a combined failure. Where are the NHL centres on this team?

The Hodgson situation - Cody turned into a cancer, that wasn't Gillis' fault. Gillis didn't tell him to go turn into a cancer. It's too bad that he did. I feel sorry for him, but then he went goofy on us.

Malhotra - Gillis was obliged to give give Manny the benefit of the doubt, who knew.

Kesler - He took longer than expected to come back and then got his foot broken, who knew.

A very steep price is required to acquire a difference-making NHL centre.

So again I ask you to answer my question above.

Mondi wrote:Injuries and age aside, Salo is way better than Garrison. Injuries and age included, it's a toss up.

Obviously you don't watch the games so I'll try to put it in a way even YOU will understand.

They were both UFAs last summer.

Garrison was offered more but settled for a 6yr $27.6mil contract.

Salo went for the most money he could get and settled for a 2yr $7.5mil contract.

Do you know better than NHL GM's about the value of players?

Ummm one dumps Salo for Garrison in a heartbeat is wot one does.

I approved the move and was the first last summer to push for the addition of a RS defenceman as the next move

(along with the scrapping of Ballard).

That hasn't happened yet, but it's easy to see the hole, much harder to fill it.

NHL trades aren't as easy to pull off as you seem to think.

Do you really think Gillis doesn't see the glaring holes at centre and RS dee?? :lol:

Mondi wrote:And please, don't defend David "empty netter" Booth.

How many of Mr Booth's 104 goals (in 377 games) were "empty netters"?

And how many serviceable top 6 Canuck forwards play as physical as Mr Booth?

Mondi wrote:This guy is a good athlete with some offensive skills, but he appears to lack good sense on and off the ice.

Booth is smarter than the average bear.

Mondi wrote:He and Ballard are a lot of cap space for virtually nothing.

So you want that "cap space" used for other players.

And of course you want these other players to earn their cap hit.

That's $8.45mil in cap space.

So yeah that's some awesome players you are demanding.

You DO realize you'd hafta give up some huge assets to bring in players of that caliber?

Tell me, exactly what kind of trade/trades is/are feasible? :mex:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Raymond may have turned a corner, but I'm not relying on a 20 game hot streak to replace the last 2 seasons...yet.

People forget about how important Erhoff was to this team's #1 PP unit and breakout. He was FAR more dynamic than Edler offensively and at least as competent defensive. Give the guy shorter term and more money, it may have worked. Especially if Ballard, another Gillis gem, was cut.

I'm not hear to split hairs over the moves GMMG has made, but rather to point out that AV has done nothing but win. And, in my view, that has been in spite of the GM's moves since 2011.

Overall both have done a reasonable job. However, the whole fire AV thing is non-sense.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Mondi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Mondi wrote:You need to consult a dictionary for the difference between "dealt" and "replaced".

Okay smartass how should GMMG have "dealt with the absense of Kesler"?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??

Mondi wrote:Cap circumvention? 5+ million is a lot for Roberto Luongo when compared to the other goalies in the league.

AHHHHNNNNNN wrong answer Hans!

Mondi wrote:Raymond and Schroeder are doing a remarkable job, given the circumstances. But, Raymond? Are we at the point where Raymond has to be relied upon to score goals?

I'd say your Vancouver Canucks are relying on scoring by committee at this point.

Sure Raymond doesn't wear down defenders like say David Booth, but he's part of the committee and hey it's working.

Mondi wrote:And the getting rid of Hodgson, cutting Malhotra and not dealing with Kesler are a combined failure. Where are the NHL centres on this team?

The Hodgson situation - Cody turned into a cancer, that wasn't Gillis' fault. Gillis didn't tell him to go turn into a cancer. It's too bad that he did. I feel sorry for him, but then he went goofy on us.

Malhotra - Gillis was obliged to give give Manny the benefit of the doubt, who knew.

Kesler - He took longer than expected to come back and then got his foot broken, who knew.

A very steep price is required to acquire a difference-making NHL centre.

So again I ask you to answer my question above.

Mondi wrote:Injuries and age aside, Salo is way better than Garrison. Injuries and age included, it's a toss up.

Obviously you don't watch the games so I'll try to put it in a way even YOU will understand.

They were both UFAs last summer.

Garrison was offered more but settled for a 6yr $27.6mil contract.

Salo went for the most money he could get and settled for a 2yr $7.5mil contract.

Do you know better than NHL GM's about the value of players?

Ummm one dumps Salo for Garrison in a heartbeat is wot one does.

I approved the move and was the first last summer to push for the addition of a RS defenceman as the next move

(along with the scrapping of Ballard).

That hasn't happened yet, but it's easy to see the hole, much harder to fill it.

NHL trades aren't as easy to pull off as you seem to think.

Do you really think Gillis doesn't see the glaring holes at centre and RS dee?? :lol:

Mondi wrote:And please, don't defend David "empty netter" Booth.

How many of Mr Booth's 104 goals (in 377 games) were "empty netters"?

And how many serviceable top 6 Canuck forwards play as physical as Mr Booth?

Mondi wrote:This guy is a good athlete with some offensive skills, but he appears to lack good sense on and off the ice.

Booth is smarter than the average bear.

Mondi wrote:He and Ballard are a lot of cap space for virtually nothing.

So you want that "cap space" used for other players.

And of course you want these other players to earn their cap hit.

That's $8.45mil in cap space.

So yeah that's some awesome players you are demanding.

You DO realize you'd hafta give up some huge assets to bring in players of that caliber?

Tell me, exactly what kind of trade/trades is/are feasible? :mex:

Luongo for Kadri and Bozak was widely reported as on the table.

Salo could have been kept, had Ballard been waived, buried, trade for pucks...etc. Case closed.

Something tells me Booth interprets the Bible literally, that kind of thinking speaks for itself.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:MG is hampered by the fact he can't take much term back on a long term contract. In spite of his saying otherwise they have cap concerns for next year. Unless he can trade Luongo, Ballard and Booth he will have to buy out two of those players. So a rental is the best he can hope for and that may be just to expensive for us. It gets back to believing if you have what it takes to win this year you pull the trigger, if you don't feel you do then you play it out, hope for the best and re-tool in the summer.

Maybe Lack makes a full and speedy recovery and can be a back up next year. Maybe one or two of our young guns make the jump. Maybe one of our D prospects steps up. Maybe he frees up enough cap to land a FA or two on reasonable deals.

But I just don't see him taking term back in a deal right now. It is after all what is said to have killed any Luongo deal thus far is a team wanting him to take term back. He has said, and I believe, he has had deals on the table he could live with but it would require him taking term back. If he could unload Ballard and Booth and Luongo then maybe he can take term back and exercise a buyout.

This^

It was fucking hilarious listening to those two fucking morons Sekaris and Price this afternoon, the biggest idiots out there. While listening to them hype up trading all our top picks for a win now approach ( as if we are not depleted enough on the farm) they were both suggesting trading Luongo for Grabovski and his $5.5 million per. How do a couple of fucktard 'CANUCK LUNCH' Team 1040 hosts become that ignorant to the Canucks cap situation next season is beyond me.

We can't be taking anything back in the way of big contracts in a Lou trade, Gillis needs to be asking for a UFA rental who's contract expires at seasons end, a prospect and a draft pick. Then in the off-season he either has to trade Booth or Ballard or both or buy one of them if not both out. Dale Tallon is probably massively peeing himself laughing over Gillis' predicament regarding Ballard and Booth. Tallon has Quinton Howden and 8.7 million off his books, Brilliant trading. What an asstard Gillis is. I assume that Tallon ain't done laughing until Gillis has to crawl on his hands and knees to Aquaman pleading with him to buy one of these two dingbats out.

I thought Botchford was the worse 1040 dude going but nasal voice Sekaris is winning that by a country mile, not to mention that he looks like a character from a Harry Crumb comic book.
Last edited by RoyalDude on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Strangelove wrote:Sure Raymond doesn't wear down defenders like say David Booth,

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Mondi wrote: but he (Booth) appears to lack good sense on and off the ice. He makes $4 million. He and Ballard are a lot of cap space for virtually nothing.

Ya just can't be having Bible Thumping, Holy Rollin', Rapture Harold Camping, Ted Nugent, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Jones, David Koresh, Bill (LETS DO IT LIVE!) Reilly, Bill Graham, Warren Jeffs, Jimmy Baker, Ernest Angely, McChristian, Benny Hinn Game Huntin', Spicoli's on the Canucks. It just ain't a match made in HEAVEN.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Mondi wrote:Luongo for Kadri and Bozak was widely reported as on the table.

"Widely reported" eh? :roll:

Ummm... that "rumour" was proven to be bullshit.

Got anything else?

Mondi wrote:Salo could have been kept, had Ballard been waived, buried, trade for pucks...etc. Case closed.

Oh yeah, it SO fucking easy!! :lol:

Gillis is such an idiot and YOU are such a genius!

Pretty tough to trade Ballard after two seasons of injuries and 3rd-pairing icetime, bucko.

Buy him out at that point for $8.4mil and 6 years worth of $1.575 cap hits for nothing!

Mondi wrote:Something tells me Booth interprets the Bible literally, that kind of thinking speaks for itself.

Interesting statement.

Makes one wonder if you, Mondi, interpret the Koran literally. :mex:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:28 pm

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 6 Mar
Worth noting at June draft Canucks could've had Kadri, Bozak and a pick for Luongo. Got greedy. Now have lost as many as have won.

Evidence enough.

You nixing my suggestions doesn't mean they were impossible. Even you know better than that, King of Contrarians.

As for the Koran...I think all religion is equally revolting.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Reefer2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:02 pm

Mondi wrote:Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 6 Mar
Worth noting at June draft Canucks could've had Kadri, Bozak and a pick for Luongo. Got greedy. Now have lost as many as have won.

Evidence enough.

You nixing my suggestions doesn't mean they were impossible. Even you know better than that, King of Contrarians.

As for the Koran...I think all religion is equally revolting.

If and I say IF that was what was offered and MG said no then I hate to think what he believe he is going to get and no freaking wonder he has not made a deal yet.
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Mondi wrote:Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 6 Mar

Evidence enough.

Yes... Damien Cox.... :lol:

I guess you could always follow Botchford....

Jason Botchford @botchford
@notafullcolon it doesn't matter, luongo refused to waive his NTC. He's wrong. Or misleading people. But Kadri was always in discussion

lol :stupid:
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat