Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Boston Canucker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:59 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Stand Tall, Freddy...don't let Blobby Cat bully you into a Gillis cheerleader. Just remember, Gillis don't have the Brass Holmgren Balls, bottom-line. What he refers to as "the process", all that means is that he isn't done tinkering with the 3rd and 4th lines and 5th and 6th defenseman. The real money players. All hail the Manny Malhotras and Sami Pahlssons and Chris Higgins and Marco Sturms and David Booths and Maxim Lappieres...in the Mike Gillis era of Canuck hockey.

I find your constant drooling over Holmgren's balls rather funny, the guy has been in his job longer than Gillis, throws around those brass balls you love and has yet to win a cup.. In the end, the two are actually pretty similar in what their teams have accomplished. I wish Gillis had done a few things differently this year (keep Coho, lose AV for e.g.) but still until Holmgren actually puts a team together that wins a Cup - backstopped by Bryzgalov who has never done jack in the playoffs, have fun with that - I don't see how turning to Holmgren puts Gillis in a bad light. Try Holland, Chiarelli, Shero...you know, a gm who has won a cup....maybe their balls aren't brass enough, they just win.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Boston Canucker wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Stand Tall, Freddy...don't let Blobby Cat bully you into a Gillis cheerleader. Just remember, Gillis don't have the Brass Holmgren Balls, bottom-line. What he refers to as "the process", all that means is that he isn't done tinkering with the 3rd and 4th lines and 5th and 6th defenseman. The real money players. All hail the Manny Malhotras and Sami Pahlssons and Chris Higgins and Marco Sturms and David Booths and Maxim Lappieres...in the Mike Gillis era of Canuck hockey.

I find your constant drooling over Holmgren's balls rather funny, the guy has been in his job longer than Gillis, throws around those brass balls you love and has yet to win a cup.. In the end, the two are actually pretty similar in what their teams have accomplished. I wish Gillis had done a few things differently this year (keep Coho, lose AV for e.g.) but still until Holmgren actually puts a team together that wins a Cup - backstopped by Bryzgalov who has never done jack in the playoffs, have fun with that - I don't see how turning to Holmgren puts Gillis in a bad light. Try Holland, Chiarelli, Shero...you know, a gm who has won a cup....maybe their balls aren't brass enough, they just win.

Listen BeanTown, I just ain't diggin' Gillis, he was giftwrapped a damn good team in the making, with damn good goaltending, all put together by previous regimes, if he didn't think so, he would have gutted the core that was put in place by the previous GM cats in which he didn't, the same very core that led this team to the Stanley Cup Finals. That alone shows you the respect he has for Nonis and Burkie, tells ya what a great job they did assembling the pieces.

BTW, I am not an island when it comes to being anti-Gillis. There is a 9 page thread that was started a couple days ago, post Philly offer sheet on Weber, at the Canucks Board at the Hockeysfuture website titled 'Anyone Else Getting Tired of Gillis?'

The Gillis act is getting old. He needs to shake a tree but he don't have the brass balls to.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Boston Canucker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

I find your constant drooling over Holmgren's balls rather funny, ....

Listen BeanTown, I just ain't diggin' Gillis, he was giftwrapped a damn good team in the making, with damn good goaltending, all put together by previous regimes, if he didn't think so, he would have gutted the core that was put in place by the previous GM cats in which he didn't, the same very core that led this team to the Stanley Cup Finals. That alone shows you the respect he has for Nonis and Burkie, tells ya what a great job they did assembling the pieces.

BTW, I am not an island when it comes to being anti-Gillis. There is a 9 page thread that was started a couple days ago, post Philly offer sheet on Weber, at the Canucks Board at the Hockeysfuture website titled 'Anyone Else Getting Tired of Gillis?'

The Gillis act is getting old. He needs to shake a tree but he don't have the brass balls to.

Nice response, too bad it's not to the point I was actually making. I didn't ask why you had an issue with Gillis (you've made that clear, and I really don't care about that...Gillis has his pros and cons, as I see it, the bar is the Cup) I asked why you were so hot and heavy for Holmgren, who yes, makes a ton of moves in July, but they have yet to mean a thing in April, May or June. I'm talking about results, Cup rings, not appearances or fancy dancy moves, but proven success. If you compared him to Holland, I wouldn't have said a thing...but Holmgren, a lot of hat, thus far, no cattle...but it's a fun July circus to watch, I grant.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Holmgren is proactive, Gillis is asleep at the wheel, living off of the hardwork of past regimes. Like Gillis, Holmgren got his team to the finals only to lose to Chicago, Gillis lost to Boston. Like Gillis, the following year after going to the finals the Flyers got ousted from the playoffs early. Unlike Gillis, Holmgren got out his little friend and start shooting. Down goes Carter, Down goes Richards. Gillis is too busy at his BBQ in Kerrisdale making rib eye steaks and drinking loads of beer like everything is peachy.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Boston Canucker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:26 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Holmgren is proactive, Gillis is asleep at the wheel, living off of the hardwork of past regimes. Like Gillis, Holmgren got his team to the finals only to lose to Chicago, Gillis lost to Boston. Like Gillis, the following year after going to the finals the Flyers got ousted from the playoffs early. Unlike Gillis, Holmgren got out his little friend and start shooting. Down goes Carter, Down goes Richards. Gillis is too busy at his BBQ in Kerrisdale making rib eye steaks and drinking loads of beer like everything is peachy.

And the result of all those moves was losing in 5 games in Round 2 this year. Proactive, cool, unless they're dumb moves, and results, not so much. Nothing you say has anything to do with results, it's all bright lights, big city...it does wow the tourists I'll grant. Hey Ilya, tell us more about the universe will ya...
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby SKYO » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:29 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Unlike Gillis, Holmgren got out his little friend and start shooting. Down goes Carter, Down goes Richards.

They traded those contracts, so they can get, wait for it, the awesome mighty titan Bryzgalov, whom they probably want to bury in the AHL now.

And what team did Carter and Richards just help win a Cup for again?
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:54 pm

Boston Canucker wrote:I find your constant drooling over Holmgren's balls rather funny

Dude doesn't realize it, but it's CLARKIE'S BALLS he hungers for!

Yup, THINK ABOUT IT, twas Bobby Clarke wot pushed the Weber offer-sheet idea (you heard it here first).

So would folks like the Dude be happier if Ballsie Clarke were GM of their Vancouver Canucks?

Well that's a question for another spacetime one supposes....

Gillis has proven he's not afraid to offer up offer sheets in the past.

If MG offer-sheeted Weber AND GOT HIM, Royal perpetually-worried-about-the-future Dude

... would just die with no 1st round picks for 4 years! :lol:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:55 am

RoyalDude wrote:BTW, I am not an island when it comes to being anti-Gillis. There is a 9 page thread that was started a couple days ago, post Philly offer sheet on Weber, at the Canucks Board at the Hockeysfuture website titled 'Anyone Else Getting Tired of Gillis?'

Did you read the thread? Most of it is people bitchslapping - duh, individuals :look: - like yourself.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:43 am

You guys really do love Gillis.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:43 am

dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:BTW, I am not an island when it comes to being anti-Gillis. There is a 9 page thread that was started a couple days ago, post Philly offer sheet on Weber, at the Canucks Board at the Hockeysfuture website titled 'Anyone Else Getting Tired of Gillis?'

Did you read the thread? Most of it is people bitchslapping - duh, individuals :look: - like yourself.

Yes, I read it, it's a fantastic thread, DanBobRob.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:00 am

Milbury and Keenan beat the brass balls schtick into the ground to no results 10 years ago. Looking back, it made for intersesting summers but inevitably weaker teams. Now they're doing commentary.
I'm thinking Holmgren wishes he still had Carter/ Richards and hadn't blown his wad on Bryzgalov. Holmgren is constantly changing his teams chemistry which keeps fans on the edge of their seats and probably has alot to do with why he does it.
winning GMs like Holland and Shero stay the course, add when the opportunity arises but typically don't flitter around the NHL moving core players every 11 months.
Gillis is following this winning success model and if fans can appreciate this, will probably spend alot less time wringing their hands and more time enjoying their summers.
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:12 am

You guys really do love Gillis...the love in the air here is infectious. I might have to start loving him too
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Aaronp18 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:03 am

RoyalDude wrote:You guys really do love Gillis...the love in the air here is infectious. I might have to start loving him too

It's really not a matter of loving the guy at all.

As far as I'm concerned, and I dont think I'm alone here, Gillis is a member of my Vancouver Canucks and I will cheer and wish the best for anyone that dons the jersey or is working in some capacity towards the success of my team. I understand that nobody is perfect and I will support the moves, or lack of, as long as he is a member of this team.

As soon as someone leaves this team, for whatever reason, they are no longer helping the cause but rather working to prevent the Canucks from winning. Which is why they can kindly go and fuck themselves!

I'm not sure why it's hard to understand why most of us support the players and management when they are here and will turn on them as soon as they leave. Seems fairly logical to me.
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:12 am

LOL RD I can create a 9 page thread easy on HF, say Mason Raymond for a 2nd rounder...

.....20 pages later..
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby clem » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:28 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
I'm not sure why it's hard to understand why most of us support the players and management when they are here and will turn on them as soon as they leave. Seems fairly logical to me.

I support the team, and the people contributing to it's success.

Opportunities to replace personnel with those that will increase our success should be taken.

Long service & character is appreciated, whether someone is still with the organization, or not.

Blind faith R not me.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat