Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Madcombinepilot » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:14 pm

Fred, I am not against his swimming upstream, just his delivery.

each thier own, I guess.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with untill you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:Fred, I am not against his swimming upstream, just his delivery.

each thier own, I guess.

Upstream that's the word I was looking for. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a glancer so i don't read all the superfluous chit chat :D But some of the players he doesn't like I don't care for either and as to MG after what ....4 years there has to be a review process. I don't think he's getting 10 out of 10. He seems to have a few warts worth looking at
cheers
Fred
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Fred wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:Fred, I am not against his swimming upstream, just his delivery.

each thier own, I guess.

Upstream that's the word I was looking for. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a glancer so i don't read all the superfluous chit chat :D But some of the players he doesn't like I don't care for either and as to MG after what ....4 years there has to be a review process. I don't think he's getting 10 out of 10. He seems to have a few warts worth looking at

nobody said he deserved a 10 /10.... but you and the dude and a few other people would probably give him a 3 or 4 out of 10 at best. You guys piss and cry like the team is as shitty as the Blue Jackets.

Me I give him a 7.5 out of 10.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Blob personally I think there's a lot of flock mentality, unquestioned loyalty, which IMO is not healthy. I'd probably give MG a 6/10 score. I don't think he has a lot of courage, the gambles he takes are always the small ticket variety, peripheral sort of stuff. The core is practically untouched from when he took over, and I might be the first to say some times that's good, some times not so much. I've held season tickets since '73 and there's not a lot to distinguish him from his predecessor. I know he's won the Presidents trophy twice which I rate pretty high and is better other GM's but I'm starting to doubt he has what it takes to take us past that point in the play-offs. We lost one player, Daniel Sedin plus and injured Kesler and the team collapsed. Injuries are going to happen more years than not during the play-offs, we have nothing more than journeymen below that top 4-5 players.

IMO a team needs 4-5 'star" quality players on some heavy salaries as expected but you have to have some real quality youth at ELC filling out the roster at low salaries to keep within the Cap. We just don't have the up and coming youth at low salaries, and thats MG problem not Nonis et al.
cheers
Fred
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Fred wrote:Blob personally I think there's a lot of flock mentality, unquestioned loyalty, which IMO is not healthy. I'd probably give MG a 6/10 score. I don't think he has a lot of courage, the gambles he takes are always the small ticket variety, peripheral sort of stuff. The core is practically untouched from when he took over, and I might be the first to say some times that's good, some times not so much. I've held season tickets since '73 and there's not a lot to distinguish him from his predecessor. I know he's won the Presidents trophy twice which I rate pretty high and is better other GM's but I'm starting to doubt he has what it takes to take us past that point in the play-offs. We lost one player, Daniel Sedin plus and injured Kesler and the team collapsed. Injuries are going to happen more years than not during the play-offs, we have nothing more than journeymen below that top 4-5 players.

IMO a team needs 4-5 'star" quality players on some heavy salaries as expected but you have to have some real quality youth at ELC filling out the roster at low salaries to keep within the Cap. We just don't have the up and coming youth at low salaries, and thats MG problem not Nonis et al.

Fred, you are talking about Daniel Sedin and Ryan Kesler here not Volpatti and Ebbett. Daniel won the Art Ross and Kesler won the Selke just ONE season ago. Daniel and Kesler scored 30 and 22 goals respectively. They combined scored 20.8% of the Canucks goals in the 2011/12 season. If the Kings lost Kopitar and Brown suffered shoulder injury, do you seriously think they would have won the Stanley Cup?? :roll:
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:27 pm

Fred wrote:blah blah blah blah

Yes because you hanging off the dude's coattails isn't flock mentality at all. :lol: :roll:

In Tanev and Kassian this team should have a pair of players ready to contribute on ELC deals. Maybe Jensen takes a big step and forces managements hand this fall. Maybe Schroeder comes to camp in great shape and seizes a job.

Most if not all teams have 4- 5 very good- great players and a solid support group ( or as you refer to them journeymen) . It's what happens in a cap world and we ....well most of us have kind of understood this is a fact of a salary cap.

You take two of ANY teams top 3 players and render them useless because of injury and they won't go far in the playoffs.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fred wrote:You take two of ANY teams top 3 players and render them useless because of injury and they won't go far in the playoffs.

No no no Blobby, this is where you have it all wrong.

Don't you remember how the Pens won the cup without Crosby and Malkin? The Blackhawks also won it without Toews and Kane. Anaheim won it without Getzlaf and Perry and Detroit has won it several times with their best players injured. How could you forget? Just last year, the Kings won the cup with a team that was decimated from injuries.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:39 pm

herb wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fred wrote:You take two of ANY teams top 3 players and render them useless because of injury and they won't go far in the playoffs.

No no no Blobby, this is where you have it all wrong.

Don't you remember how the Pens won the cup without Crosby and Malkin? The Blackhawks also won it without Toews and Kane. Anaheim won it without Getzlaf and Perry and Detroit has won it several times with their best players injured. How could you forget? Just last year, the Kings won the cup with a team that was decimated from injuries.

:lol:
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Ha ha ha ..herb.

What bugs me is outside of the twins and Kesler and Edler Fred and the cracked out dude keep referring to guys like Hamhuis, Schneider, Bieksa, Burrows and even Booth as journeymen. Booth for all his warts has scored at a 20 goal clip over his first five seasons in the league. Bieksa and Hamhuis are top 4 d-men on any team and Burrows has averaged 28 goals for the past 4 years.

Fred needs to pull his head out of the dude's anus.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Cornuck » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:43 pm

If we had won the Game 7, this debate would be SO different! :D
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Cornuck wrote:If we had won the Game 7, this debate would be SO different! :D

+ 1
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:What bugs me is outside of the twins and Kesler and Edler Fred and the cracked out dude keep referring to guys like Hamhuis, Schneider, Bieksa, Burrows and even Booth as journeymen.

Yeah, cause those guys have played for one or two teams ever in their entire NHL career which qualifies them as journeymen. To me the classic journeyman is somebody like Eric Weinrich who had played for like 10 teams and was nearing the end of his career when he played here. Sean O'Donnell, Brian Boucher and Mike Sillinger are some other journeymen types that come to mind.

It's like the team should be stacked like the NBA Dream Team and have no lunch bucket guys or role players. Some people are going to freak out when Luongo is traded and we pick up a "journeyman" to back up Schneider and ask why the back up goaltender isn't an all star.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Boston Canucker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:23 pm

Cornuck wrote:If we had won the Game 7, this debate would be SO different! :D

There'd be no debate, because we'd all still be drunk.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:28 pm

OK, OK at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, does it. Our all star cast will win the Cup next season so why worry, just like they did last season and the season before that. Brilliant to a man
cheers
Fred
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Stand Tall, Freddy...don't let Blobby Cat bully you into a Gillis cheerleader. Just remember, Gillis don't have the Brass Holmgren Balls, bottom-line. What he refers to as "the process", all that means is that he isn't done tinkering with the 3rd and 4th lines and 5th and 6th defenseman. The real money players. All hail the Manny Malhotras and Sami Pahlssons and Chris Higgins and Marco Sturms and David Booths and Maxim Lappieres...in the Mike Gillis era of Canuck hockey.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat