Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby herb » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Fred wrote:Yeah I forgot Lack, maybe he's ready. But I have to think most teams have a pretty regular turn over of propsects and they are lucky if they get 1 per season and maybe one every 3 season for a star player. So if the Canucks have 3 in the wings waiting maybe that's average ?

Adding one prospect to your NHL roster per season would probably be considered a pretty good clip considering many NHL players have long careers spanning 10+ seasons. Add to that the UFAs that are usually added to each team's roster each off season and there aren't that many spots available for rookies on many teams.

Depending on your definition of star player, I would argue that teams add a star player once every 5-10 years. The last star player the Canucks developed was Kesler, IMO. Maybe we'll be able to add Schneider to that list in one or two years.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:50 pm

Lets me just say, that if Mike Gillis does not have one player that his regime drafted in the line-up next season...I WILL NEVER WATCH ANOTHER CANUCK GAME AGAIN!!!!

But seriously now, Gillis drafting and developing is starting to look real bad...heading into his 5th draft year and not much to get excited about, I mean seriously, how much of an impact are Schroeder and Jensen gonna make??? They've proved nothing to this point, so don't hold your hopes on those two making it. Ya think they are gonna get time on the top 2 lines ahead of the likes of Booth and Higgins or even Hansen. And with the league all getting big again, how affective is a Schroeder gonna be? Schroeder on the 3rd line??? I just don't see it, so it basically boils down to Jensen.

Gillis really needs to change the attitude here and start making this organization a little bit more prospect friendly for the players he's drafted. Or maybe just stop trading picks left, right and centre for quick fixes that do not work, ie Bernier, Ballard and Pahlsson.

There are teams that make their best picks late in the draft so there is no excuse for Gillis. Look at a lot of the current Canucks who were drafted by Vancouver, a lot of them were post 1st round draft picks, ie Bieksa, Elder, Hansen and Raymond. Kesler wasn't an early pick either was Schneider
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:09 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Lets me just say, that if Mike Gillis does not have one player that his regime drafted in the line-up next season...I WILL NEVER WATCH ANOTHER CANUCK GAME AGAIN!!!!

Are you serious?? :lol:
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby CorranHorn » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Quit feedin the trolls
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Postby rats19 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:07 am

CorranHorn wrote:Quit feedin the trolls

He trolls for opinions...
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby SKYO » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:53 am

Gillis on Team1040 right now.

Gillis: Listening to lots of offers about lots of different people..and we're in a position where we can listen

Gillis: I have a sense there will be more trades later in the summer than sooner, but I could be wrong on that

Gillis on Jensen: It's his decision to do that (Sweden).We think he has a chance to be a bigtime player. Really pleased with his development
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby the Dogsalmon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:27 am

SKYO wrote:Gillis on Team1040 right now.

Gillis: Listening to lots of offers about lots of different people..and we're in a position where we can listen

Gillis: I have a sense there will be more trades later in the summer than sooner, but I could be wrong on that

Gillis on Jensen: It's his decision to do that (Sweden).We think he has a chance to be a bigtime player. Really pleased with his development

GMMG seems to have all the usual canned responses down pat...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby damonberryman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:11 am

The one thing that is certain about our game is the NHL is changing fast and we do need someone who knows contracts. Gillis and LG have done a very good job there. He is also good at getting other players to come to Van and I hope this kid Shultz from Kamploops signs with us.

On another note I wish we had picked up Thrower in the draft. He is the type we need and when asked who he modeled his game on he replied Bieksa. Tough local boy and once again we let him walk like Lucic. Mistake. I would have picked him even if I had to trade up to the top of the second round.

Gillis looks unhealthy. The opposite of AV who may live forever. Does he drink to much? Looks it. Hope not for his sake. He does not handle the media well and Van seems to have a particularly poor crop of reporters. His trade for Booth has not yet paid real dividends but maybe this year he will find something else to believe in and get his head on right.

KB4 is another story. I believe there is real skill and desire there but this may be a case of the wrong coach or setting for him. Too bad because he has an edge and I would like to see him make it.

Our farm has some depth in goal and D with little so far in scoring but that could easily change with Schroeder, Jensen and Rodin. I see no point in dumping Raymond at his contract hit. He is a very good PK. We need him.
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby damonberryman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:15 am

Part two. Gillis has only 5 picks this draft and that kind of surprised me. I thought we had more in later rounds but I am not comfortable with this development. Clubs are not built on round one. They are built multiple ways but rounds 2-7 are a big part of that. I think this is the year Gillis shows us something more or he runs out of gas as he always looks as if he is on the verge of doing so. Hope for the best. So far his worst move was COHO but that could change. I sure hope so. Also I am not sure Sulzer should have been let go without more of a trial. He sure played well for the Sabres.
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby clem » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:10 pm

RoyalDude wrote: .... Ever since Gillis took over this team has done a terrible job at managing their players injuries, ie Hodgson's back, Daniel Sedin, regarding "does he have a concussion or not". The fact that Kesler seems to need surgery every summer and the same can be said for Burrows. A bit weird that Kesler, Burrows and Demitra have had the same shoulder surgery. When was the last time this team was healthy? I'd have to go back to the pre-Gillis era of management to find that cause for some strange reason, this team has issues with managing injuries under the Gillis regime.

Gillis just plain sucks on all levels

Mikael Samuelsson appears to share some of your distaste for Canuck management.

it was tough leaving the Sedins, Edler and the other guys up in Vancouver. I didn’t think very highly of management, so in that way I didn’t mind.

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/7/12/samuelsson-on-canucks-i-didnt-think-highly-of-management

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9402&start=90#p141466
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Topper » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:57 pm

I get the feeling there was something lost in the translation.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Topper wrote:I get the feeling there was something lost in the translation.

Yeah, hard to say, was he miffed at AV not playing him exclusively with the twins? (I always had that impression)

Or is he miffed about being flushed to Florida 2 years after signing as a UFA with Vancouver?

Or does Per offer a better translation and we find out he's not miffed at all?

Who da fock knows at this point.

I believe the Wings were only willing to go as high as $1.5mil three years ago on Samuelsson, so they lost him.

Now they give 35-year-old Sammy a 2-year deal @ $3mil per.

Did Sammy getting more talented or is Detroit getting more desperate? :wink:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Lancer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Strangelove wrote:Did Sammy getting more talented or is Detroit getting more desperate?

Evidently the latter, but he could just be a stop-gap measure until next summer and a new CBA where I think Detroit is readying itself to make more significant moves having lost out on the Suter/Parise sweepstakes.

Red Wings just keep getting older... :thumbs:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Lancer wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Did Sammy getting more talented or is Detroit getting more desperate?

Evidently the latter, but he could just be a stop-gap measure until next summer and a new CBA where I think Detroit is readying itself to make more significant moves having lost out on the Suter/Parise sweepstakes.

Yeaaah, nice to see them lose out for a change isn't it Lance?

I think they're desperate enough to throw a 6-year $36mil contract at Semin right now.

Hell, looking at their capspace they could also throw a 2-year $20mil contract at Shane Doan! :shock:

The Wings don't like to lose out and stranger things have happened......
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:56 am

^ Well Holland always said once Lidstrom retires, he'd do the same.
It's a wonder why?

Lidstrom basically made the team they were for the last 20 years, hence why MG should over pay for Weber, with Shea I think we can steam roll over teams especially in the playoffs for years to come.

Three game changer players the Canucks never had:

#1 center (check)
#1 goalie (check)
#1 dman (uncheck) We have the assets to facilitate two blockbuster trades this offseason for the Canucks to get good depth and more importantly the last piece to the puzzle in Shea Weber.
MG has to hustle and work harder than ever before to make this happen, and this is indeed possible if he shrewdly/swiftly goes into negotiations to get those pieces to help complete the Canucks squad.
SKYO
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat