Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:13 am

I've been reserving judgement on GMMG mainly because a GM needs time for his moves to pan out. Overall Gillis hasn't been all that bad considering. 2 bogus trades and 1 home run.

-Ballard has been a disaster but in fairness he gave up a dud and a pick for a player who really did look to be exactly what we needed. His 4.whatever cap hit, however, is not a good move. I suspect he tries to move KB4 this off season but likely wont find many teams willing to give anything up for him.

-Booth was disappointing to me mainly because he looks to be the big body winger we need but doesn't seem to have the marbles to know what to do. I won't judge this one too critically until he has a chance to start the season with us. He did score at a decent pace but there just seemed to be something missing with him. He does NOT compliment Kesler whatsoever mind you.

-Ehrhoff was a home run and up there with the best trades in franchise history.

In summary, I think he's a bit tentative in addressing needs via trade and could use a testicle transplant when there appears to be a need worthy of moving someone off the roster.

His signings and re-signings have been stellar. He is probably the premier GM in the NHL for managing contracts, attracting UFA's, keeping his players happy and supplied with all the modern conveniences available for professional athletes. His development program is also the standard league wide for bringing young guys along the right way.

So I give him a very good mark so far for his work. I think this summer will be his most difficult one and will define his ability to maximize return moving roster players. Luongo is a special situation and has the opportunity to bring back the piece(s) that take us over the hump.

I personally identify a need to make over the defense to be tougher and more reliable in our own zone. I also would love a no bullshit winger for the top 6 who can fight, hit and stick up for his team mates. We have a bit of a pussy factor up front that needs addressing IMHO.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/08/time-for-gillis-to-make-canucks-his-team
-a pretty good summary of what I just said
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mondi » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Dude, how's Anaheim doing today? Relevant, since we're giving Burke credit for the Canucks success now...
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Farhan Lalji » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:51 pm

TDA Rum wrote:The only problem with your argument RD is that you are judging Nonis' picks 3 to 4 years after they were drafted and and Gillis' picks 6 years after... of course they won't have developed the same...give your head a shake...

Uhhh.......wouldn't that work in FAVOR of of Gillis? :eh: This of course, assuming that Gillis had even been a GM of the Vancouver Canucks for 6 years......which he hasn't. Gillis, if you recall correctly, took over the reigns during the Summer of 2008.

You also seem to be giving a lion's share of credit to Dave Nonis when in reality, Nonis was only GM of the Canucks from end the start of the 2005/2006 season, to the end of the 2007/2008 season.

Perhaps it is fair of me to say that it is in fact, YOU, that needs to give your head a shake?
;)
Farhan Lalji

Postby RoyalDude » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Mondi wrote:Dude, how's Anaheim doing today? Relevant, since we're giving Burke credit for the Canucks success now...

Um, well if you really want to know, they took a turn for the worse after Burkie left. It hasn't been a bed of roses down in Anaheim since Burkie left.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Potatoe1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:I've been reserving judgement on GMMG mainly because a GM needs time for his moves to pan out. Overall Gillis hasn't been all that bad considering. 2 bogus trades and 1 home run.

I really don't know how you can call the Booth deal "bogus" give we gave up dead weight salary, and got a guy who is currently making less then what he would get in free agency.

The Ballard deal obviously sucked but the Booth deal is at worst a wash and could start looking pretty good next season if he and Kesler are both healthy.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby TDA Rum » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Farhan, why don't you get a life and quit being a troll, i have asked you nicely to quit misquoting my quotes... go waste your time on somebody else over at Calpuke... thats where your kind of posting belongs....
TDA Rum
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Topper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:30 pm

TDA Rum wrote:Farhan, my name is Wendy
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby TDA Rum » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Topper you so funny... in a gay sort of way....
TDA Rum
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Farhan Lalji » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:48 pm

TDA Rum wrote:Farhan, why don't you get a life and quit being a troll, i have asked you nicely to quit misquoting my quotes... go waste your time on somebody else over at Calpuke... thats where your kind of posting belongs....

Hey TDA Rum,

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I'm honestly just quoting whatever that you are saying. I'm not really sure what you're getting at. :eh:

Nonetheless - I do think your Gillis/Nonis comparison is a significantly biased, but that's the beauty about message boards. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, and the Vancouver Canucks organization is what binds us all. 8-)
Farhan Lalji

Postby SKYO » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:I've been reserving judgement on GMMG mainly because a GM needs time for his moves to pan out. Overall Gillis hasn't been all that bad considering. 2 bogus trades and 1 home run.

In summary, I think he's a bit tentative in addressing needs via trade and could use a testicle transplant when there appears to be a need worthy of moving someone off the roster.

His signings and re-signings have been stellar. He is probably the premier GM in the NHL for managing contracts, attracting UFA's, keeping his players happy and supplied with all the modern conveniences available for professional athletes. His development program is also the standard league wide for bringing young guys along the right way.

Agreed, in a perfect world we'd have Gilman managing the cap, MG handling the contracts and aggressive GM Chiarelli handling our trades. http://es.pn/wW26An ;)
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:51 am

cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:58 am

The report did not talk about the Ehrhoff's trade, Backes' offer sheet, and Hamhuis' signing.

Then there's the draft itself. Gillis has to get picks right. With the possible exception of Jordan Schroeder, there is no obvious example of a previous draft choice who is ready for prime time. Other teams are finding players who get to the NHL quickly in an era in which younger players are shining.

The Canucks can't use their late draft order, which results from strong regular-season records that push them down the picking list, as an excuse. Ultimately, Gillis is responsible for the picks -- and they have not panned out.

I assume picking 1st overall has no advantages over 30th overall... :hmmm:
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Fred » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:13 pm

No mention of Jensen either and he may have overtaken Schroeder as the best prospect. I'm wondering if the Canucks have two prospects that are likely to make the NHL ...is two an average number for most teams ? The entry level contract are 3 years so how many years do teams keep prospects.... 3??
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby herb » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Fred wrote:No mention of Jensen either and he may have overtaken Schroeder as the best prospect. I'm wondering if the Canucks have two prospects that are likely to make the NHL ...is two an average number for most teams ? The entry level contract are 3 years so how many years do teams keep prospects.... 3??

I think ideally every year you want a handful of prospects who look like they are legitimately ready to push for an NHL roster spot in the near term. On a deep team like the Canucks, that expectation obviously needs to be downgraded somewhat as young players need to outplay significantly better players than prospects in the Oilers or Islanders systems to earn a NHL spot.

IMO, with the Canucks we only have Schroeder, Jensen and Lack in the system who should be pushing for an NHL roster spot over the next one to three years.

Tanev and Kassian are two young guys who are tweeners at this point. Arguments could be made for either of these guys playing in the AHL or NHL, but I suspect at this point they both have NHL gigs unless they begin to regress significantly. I don't know if they are still considered prospects, but I don't think so.

Other players like Connauton, Rodin, Sweatt and Sauve are more unknown, and most CHL or NCAA players are very hard to guage where they'll be in five years.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Fred » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Yeah I forgot Lack, maybe he's ready. But I have to think most teams have a pretty regular turn over of propsects and they are lucky if they get 1 per season and maybe one every 3 season for a star player. So if the Canucks have 3 in the wings waiting maybe that's average ?
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat