Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Fred »

Blob personally I think there's a lot of flock mentality, unquestioned loyalty, which IMO is not healthy. I'd probably give MG a 6/10 score. I don't think he has a lot of courage, the gambles he takes are always the small ticket variety, peripheral sort of stuff. The core is practically untouched from when he took over, and I might be the first to say some times that's good, some times not so much. I've held season tickets since '73 and there's not a lot to distinguish him from his predecessor. I know he's won the Presidents trophy twice which I rate pretty high and is better other GM's but I'm starting to doubt he has what it takes to take us past that point in the play-offs. We lost one player, Daniel Sedin plus and injured Kesler and the team collapsed. Injuries are going to happen more years than not during the play-offs, we have nothing more than journeymen below that top 4-5 players.

IMO a team needs 4-5 'star" quality players on some heavy salaries as expected but you have to have some real quality youth at ELC filling out the roster at low salaries to keep within the Cap. We just don't have the up and coming youth at low salaries, and thats MG problem not Nonis et al.
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Fred wrote:Blob personally I think there's a lot of flock mentality, unquestioned loyalty, which IMO is not healthy. I'd probably give MG a 6/10 score. I don't think he has a lot of courage, the gambles he takes are always the small ticket variety, peripheral sort of stuff. The core is practically untouched from when he took over, and I might be the first to say some times that's good, some times not so much. I've held season tickets since '73 and there's not a lot to distinguish him from his predecessor. I know he's won the Presidents trophy twice which I rate pretty high and is better other GM's but I'm starting to doubt he has what it takes to take us past that point in the play-offs. We lost one player, Daniel Sedin plus and injured Kesler and the team collapsed. Injuries are going to happen more years than not during the play-offs, we have nothing more than journeymen below that top 4-5 players.

IMO a team needs 4-5 'star" quality players on some heavy salaries as expected but you have to have some real quality youth at ELC filling out the roster at low salaries to keep within the Cap. We just don't have the up and coming youth at low salaries, and thats MG problem not Nonis et al.
Fred, you are talking about Daniel Sedin and Ryan Kesler here not Volpatti and Ebbett. Daniel won the Art Ross and Kesler won the Selke just ONE season ago. Daniel and Kesler scored 30 and 22 goals respectively. They combined scored 20.8% of the Canucks goals in the 2011/12 season. If the Kings lost Kopitar and Brown suffered shoulder injury, do you seriously think they would have won the Stanley Cup?? :roll:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote: blah blah blah blah
Yes because you hanging off the dude's coattails isn't flock mentality at all. :lol: :roll:

In Tanev and Kassian this team should have a pair of players ready to contribute on ELC deals. Maybe Jensen takes a big step and forces managements hand this fall. Maybe Schroeder comes to camp in great shape and seizes a job.

Most if not all teams have 4- 5 very good- great players and a solid support group ( or as you refer to them journeymen) . It's what happens in a cap world and we ....well most of us have kind of understood this is a fact of a salary cap.

You take two of ANY teams top 3 players and render them useless because of injury and they won't go far in the playoffs.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fred wrote:You take two of ANY teams top 3 players and render them useless because of injury and they won't go far in the playoffs.
No no no Blobby, this is where you have it all wrong.

Don't you remember how the Pens won the cup without Crosby and Malkin? The Blackhawks also won it without Toews and Kane. Anaheim won it without Getzlaf and Perry and Detroit has won it several times with their best players injured. How could you forget? Just last year, the Kings won the cup with a team that was decimated from injuries.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fred wrote:You take two of ANY teams top 3 players and render them useless because of injury and they won't go far in the playoffs.
No no no Blobby, this is where you have it all wrong.

Don't you remember how the Pens won the cup without Crosby and Malkin? The Blackhawks also won it without Toews and Kane. Anaheim won it without Getzlaf and Perry and Detroit has won it several times with their best players injured. How could you forget? Just last year, the Kings won the cup with a team that was decimated from injuries.
:lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ha ha ha ..herb.

What bugs me is outside of the twins and Kesler and Edler Fred and the cracked out dude keep referring to guys like Hamhuis, Schneider, Bieksa, Burrows and even Booth as journeymen. Booth for all his warts has scored at a 20 goal clip over his first five seasons in the league. Bieksa and Hamhuis are top 4 d-men on any team and Burrows has averaged 28 goals for the past 4 years.

Fred needs to pull his head out of the dude's anus.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If we had won the Game 7, this debate would be SO different! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote:If we had won the Game 7, this debate would be SO different! :D
+ 1
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:What bugs me is outside of the twins and Kesler and Edler Fred and the cracked out dude keep referring to guys like Hamhuis, Schneider, Bieksa, Burrows and even Booth as journeymen.
Yeah, cause those guys have played for one or two teams ever in their entire NHL career which qualifies them as journeymen. To me the classic journeyman is somebody like Eric Weinrich who had played for like 10 teams and was nearing the end of his career when he played here. Sean O'Donnell, Brian Boucher and Mike Sillinger are some other journeymen types that come to mind.

It's like the team should be stacked like the NBA Dream Team and have no lunch bucket guys or role players. Some people are going to freak out when Luongo is traded and we pick up a "journeyman" to back up Schneider and ask why the back up goaltender isn't an all star.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Cornuck wrote:If we had won the Game 7, this debate would be SO different! :D
There'd be no debate, because we'd all still be drunk.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

OK, OK at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, does it. Our all star cast will win the Cup next season so why worry, just like they did last season and the season before that. Brilliant to a man
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Stand Tall, Freddy...don't let Blobby Cat bully you into a Gillis cheerleader. Just remember, Gillis don't have the Brass Holmgren Balls, bottom-line. What he refers to as "the process", all that means is that he isn't done tinkering with the 3rd and 4th lines and 5th and 6th defenseman. The real money players. All hail the Manny Malhotras and Sami Pahlssons and Chris Higgins and Marco Sturms and David Booths and Maxim Lappieres...in the Mike Gillis era of Canuck hockey.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

RoyalDude wrote:Stand Tall, Freddy...don't let Blobby Cat bully you into a Gillis cheerleader. Just remember, Gillis don't have the Brass Holmgren Balls, bottom-line. What he refers to as "the process", all that means is that he isn't done tinkering with the 3rd and 4th lines and 5th and 6th defenseman. The real money players. All hail the Manny Malhotras and Sami Pahlssons and Chris Higgins and Marco Sturms and David Booths and Maxim Lappieres...in the Mike Gillis era of Canuck hockey.
I find your constant drooling over Holmgren's balls rather funny, the guy has been in his job longer than Gillis, throws around those brass balls you love and has yet to win a cup.. In the end, the two are actually pretty similar in what their teams have accomplished. I wish Gillis had done a few things differently this year (keep Coho, lose AV for e.g.) but still until Holmgren actually puts a team together that wins a Cup - backstopped by Bryzgalov who has never done jack in the playoffs, have fun with that - I don't see how turning to Holmgren puts Gillis in a bad light. Try Holland, Chiarelli, Shero...you know, a gm who has won a cup....maybe their balls aren't brass enough, they just win.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Boston Canucker wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Stand Tall, Freddy...don't let Blobby Cat bully you into a Gillis cheerleader. Just remember, Gillis don't have the Brass Holmgren Balls, bottom-line. What he refers to as "the process", all that means is that he isn't done tinkering with the 3rd and 4th lines and 5th and 6th defenseman. The real money players. All hail the Manny Malhotras and Sami Pahlssons and Chris Higgins and Marco Sturms and David Booths and Maxim Lappieres...in the Mike Gillis era of Canuck hockey.
I find your constant drooling over Holmgren's balls rather funny, the guy has been in his job longer than Gillis, throws around those brass balls you love and has yet to win a cup.. In the end, the two are actually pretty similar in what their teams have accomplished. I wish Gillis had done a few things differently this year (keep Coho, lose AV for e.g.) but still until Holmgren actually puts a team together that wins a Cup - backstopped by Bryzgalov who has never done jack in the playoffs, have fun with that - I don't see how turning to Holmgren puts Gillis in a bad light. Try Holland, Chiarelli, Shero...you know, a gm who has won a cup....maybe their balls aren't brass enough, they just win.
Listen BeanTown, I just ain't diggin' Gillis, he was giftwrapped a damn good team in the making, with damn good goaltending, all put together by previous regimes, if he didn't think so, he would have gutted the core that was put in place by the previous GM cats in which he didn't, the same very core that led this team to the Stanley Cup Finals. That alone shows you the respect he has for Nonis and Burkie, tells ya what a great job they did assembling the pieces.

BTW, I am not an island when it comes to being anti-Gillis. There is a 9 page thread that was started a couple days ago, post Philly offer sheet on Weber, at the Canucks Board at the Hockeysfuture website titled 'Anyone Else Getting Tired of Gillis?'

The Gillis act is getting old. He needs to shake a tree but he don't have the brass balls to.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

RoyalDude wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
I find your constant drooling over Holmgren's balls rather funny, ....
Listen BeanTown, I just ain't diggin' Gillis, he was giftwrapped a damn good team in the making, with damn good goaltending, all put together by previous regimes, if he didn't think so, he would have gutted the core that was put in place by the previous GM cats in which he didn't, the same very core that led this team to the Stanley Cup Finals. That alone shows you the respect he has for Nonis and Burkie, tells ya what a great job they did assembling the pieces.

BTW, I am not an island when it comes to being anti-Gillis. There is a 9 page thread that was started a couple days ago, post Philly offer sheet on Weber, at the Canucks Board at the Hockeysfuture website titled 'Anyone Else Getting Tired of Gillis?'

The Gillis act is getting old. He needs to shake a tree but he don't have the brass balls to.
Nice response, too bad it's not to the point I was actually making. I didn't ask why you had an issue with Gillis (you've made that clear, and I really don't care about that...Gillis has his pros and cons, as I see it, the bar is the Cup) I asked why you were so hot and heavy for Holmgren, who yes, makes a ton of moves in July, but they have yet to mean a thing in April, May or June. I'm talking about results, Cup rings, not appearances or fancy dancy moves, but proven success. If you compared him to Holland, I wouldn't have said a thing...but Holmgren, a lot of hat, thus far, no cattle...but it's a fun July circus to watch, I grant.