Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by herb »

^ Not sure what you could really expect any GM to do when half of your god damn forwards are injured.

What would you expect he do? Pick up some waiver wire garbage? Sign some crusty old FAs who haven't played in months? Trade several draft picks and prospects for (very) short term solutions?
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

It's interesting the contrast between RD's post before my post and my own. MAYBE, i personify the knee jerk kind of reaction to what the present reality personifies...but maybe not. Maybe it's realistic to think that MG should and could do more!? And maybe Herb is right...dunno... Haven't seen any action from MG all season long.
Last edited by nuckster on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cc oldtimer
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

If we can get a 3C and a healthy Kesler back our forward lineup is fine. The market is extremely thin right now, I don't want to overpay for garbage. It seems like most GMs are going to wait it out and make last minute decisions on being buyers/sellers. I wouldn't even mind giving Ballard a couple of more games as a forward just to see what we have in him, I'm sure he'd be thrilled just to be in the lineup.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

nuckster wrote:I keep wondering when or if, Gillis is going to do a god damned thing? Here we are going along with an army of third line pluggers expected to do 'the job'. I have to admit, they have performed beyond my expectations of late, but success is contingent upon Schneider playing stellar, and then the rest of the team playing a grinding defensive system. I would have to believe that there would be some takers somewhere for Ballard!? Sure there's some entertainment value in Ballard being a winger but ... REALLY? That's the best you can do mr MG? Not sure what has happened to the Sedin's of late? Talk about hot and cold.,..a nd when they're cold they look like anemic sad sacks - they didn't get a whole lot of time last night against the Coyotes and for good reason. The coyotes are struggling, and that had a lot to do with why we won. I would be willing to bet money that we will get 'man-handled' in LA on Saturday unless Schneider can find a way to pull off a 2012 `Quick playoff performance'.

But honestly, does Gillis believe that it's ok to 'putter along' like this? Is the market that tight that he can't wrest out a single player deal to our benefit? Just saying. Jeese.
I guess it comes down to how eager you are to see him move Jensen, Gaunce, Corrado or our 1st for a quick fix. I for one don't want to see that. It's not realistic to think he will be able to trade our pluggers for anything remotely close to immediate help. The goaltending market is saturated so there wont be anything doing there either.

This year is something completely new for the NHL. A shrinking salary cap and bushel of highly paid UFAs all waiting to be overvalued by the few contending teams looking to make a deep playoff run. I suspect this trade deadline will be all about 3rd liners fetching 3rd rounders rather than the usual high profile transactions.
If you need air...call it in
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

nuckster wrote:It's interesting the contrast between RD's post before my post and my own. MAYBE, i personify the knee jerk kind of reaction the present reality that exists...but maybe not. Maybe it's realistic to think that MG should and could do more!? And maybe Herb is right...but still...
I'm more of the mind that it is reasonable to plan for most situations. I think MG has generally done that; our forward group, when healthy, is very deep. It's reasonable to expect some injuries, both long term and short term. Over the course of a normal season, I would expect a couple of significant injuries.

What we are seeing here is just bizarre. Two of our second line players were injured, came back, and then got different, totally unrelated injuries. Another three forwards go down at the same time. How the hell can you plan for that? And what's a reasonable reaction for a situation where a few guys are out for several weeks? Sell the farm and bring in help? I'm not sure that's logical, or helpful over even the short term.

I think at this point, you try and weather the storm. Rely on player like Hansen and Raymond to step up, cross your fingers that nobody else gets hurt, and pick your spots in terms of finding that elusive help down the middle. But, reacting to every injury by making a trade would by all measures be bad management.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

i have to admit, I really appreciate seeing the more reasoned, thought out comments that arise after my own! :look:
cc oldtimer
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

herb wrote:^ Not sure what you could really expect any GM to do when half of your god damn forwards are injured.

What would you expect he do? Pick up some waiver wire garbage? Sign some crusty old FAs who haven't played in months? Trade several draft picks and prospects for (very) short term solutions?
I don't think he is saying today.

MG knew from the beginning that there was a chance Kesler would not be good to go.

What happened to Malholtra is not a sudden wake up one day issue to slap him in the face so he needed to figure out a back up plan for a centre. he didn't so the team is in the spot they are now because of him.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Gillis is a man with the world's biggest bags under his eyes.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I just love how everyone around here keeps rewarding Gillis one mulligan after another for the Canucks seemingly indifferent play this year, string of injuries, bad planning. Even though it was Gillis who assembled the team that AV has to coach with this year, yet AV is not rewarded the same walkover welcoming matt into the loving open arms of the likes of you that Gillis gets. :rofl:

I guess with the great play of MayRay this year, they, the critics, needed to put a new face on the blame and most certainly it will not be the great Moneypuck Mike Gillis and his shite job this year, they just love him way too much and drum every excuse in the book for him.

Say hello to AV, he's every Canuck fans bitch nowadays. :rofl:
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:I just love how everyone around here keeps rewarding Gillis one mulligan after another for the Canucks seemingly indifferent play this year, string of injuries, bad planning. Even though it was Gillis who assembled the team that AV has to coach with this year, yet AV is not rewarded the same walkover welcoming matt into the loving open arms of the likes of you that Gillis gets. :rofl:

I guess with the great play of MayRay this year, they, the critics, needed to put a new face on the blame and most certainly it will not be the great Moneypuck Mike Gillis and his shite job this year, they just love him way too much and drum every excuse in the book for him.

Say hello to AV, he's every Canuck fans bitch nowadays. :rofl:
Vigneault doesn't get the same treatment for several reasons (in no particular order)...

1. He's been here longer.

2. Gillis has given him the players that he wants. Gillis doesn't sign or trade anyone without consulting AV.

3. It I'd the coach's job to motivate the team and draw up a gameplan that works, both against the opponent and also for his collection of players.

The primary reason is the 2nd one. AV said he needed certain players to win that 16th playoff game. At the trade deadline last year GMMG got him those players. The team then played like crap and were bounced in 5 by the Kings.

Vigneault has apparently been trying to get the PP forwards to shoot more and pass less.....this isn't happening. The only guy shooting more is Garrison on the point. The Sedins pass up multiple quality shooting chances every game on the PP. If AV can't get some of the best players in the league to shoot more then I think it's the coach and not the players the GM gives him to work with.

But just to humor you a bit RD, and consider that maybe you're right about Gillis. I'll ask you one more time, what players has Gillis passed on or failed to trade? You go on and on about Gillis' shortcomings and what he hasn't done.....so lets hear what he could have done? Or are you just a whiny little bitch who complains that something is wrong but actually doesn't have the brains or the balls to suggest what could be, or could have been, done differently.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote:Gillis acquired David Booth and Keith Ballard.

8-) :devil:
That post by Mëds was Golden, I'm still pissing myself in laughter. Yes Mëds, you really did 'HUMOR' me. Mëds must've been METH'ed out, cause he must've wrote a novels length of posts over the weekend.

So, AV has gone on a 4 game winning streak tear with a fucking ramshackle line-up, thanks to the Architect - Mike Gillis fabulous GM'ing. AV is managing to eek out wins with the likes of players like Ebbett, Gordon, a rookie in Schroeder, Alberts, Ballard playing wing, Barker, the Sedins playing tier two hockey, no Kesler, no Edler for two games, yet we should fire him?

I never realized this but according to Mëds, AV is the architect of this team. Makes me wonder what Gillis does? So, I guess AV traded for Booth and Ballard, traded a 2nd round and 3rd round pick for Bernier, picked all those useless prospects at the draft since Gillis has been GM, let Mitchell, Erhoff and Salo walk, signed Luongo to that ridiculous contract. And I guess it's AV's fault that our centre position is in the state that it is now, full well knowing that this might happen with the fact that Kesler would not be ready for the season from off-season surgery and that he had a cyclops in Malhotra and assuming that a pint sized rookie in Schroeder could fill in for Kesler and that a journeyman AHL'er in Ebbett would be satisfactory. All AV's fault. I won't even go there with the arrogant, hardline shitty sales job he did on trying to convince Schultz to sign with us and all that time wasted on Doan. Thankfully, Doan stayed with the Yotes. This was all AV's doing, no not Gillis, AV's.

Doesn't it say something, how well AV is doing without Gillis two prized acquisitions in Ballard and Booth, or should I say, Ballard at forward.

Someone pointed out that our record is .500 with Booth in the line-up 5-5-3 and is a winning record with him out - 12-5-3. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I guess Aqualini is going to blame AV when Aquaman has to dig into his wallet to buy out one of or both of Booth and Ballard?

Who's job should really be on the line? According to Mëds, it's the architect - AV

Chef Boi RD - the whiney little bitch, no brains, no balls.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
Someone pointed out that our record is .500 with Booth in the line-up 5-5-3 and is a winning record with him out - 12-5-3. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I guess Aqualini is going to blame AV when Aquaman has to dig into his wallet to buy out one of or both of Booth and Ballard?

Who's job should really be on the line? According to Mëds, it's the architect - AV

With your logic, the Canucks should buy out Kesler as well. The Canucks had a 2-3-2 record when Kesler was in the lineup and was 15-6-4 when he was out. Also, the Canucks should trade Edler for a bag of pucks, the Canucks had a perfect record when he is out with a suspension. :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

With your logic, the Canucks should buy out Kesler as well. The Canucks had a 2-3-2 record when Kesler was in the lineup and was 15-6-4 when he was out. Also, the Canucks should trade Edler for a bag of pucks, the Canucks had a perfect record when he is out with a suspension. :lol:
I have suggested shopping Kesler, but I got lambasted for it. But, Jovo does that not reflect well on the coaching staff, winning this way without their no. 2 centre? Prior to this win streak, it's no wonder Shorthouse tore a strip out of Sekaris and Price for them suggesting the coaching staff was too blame for that bad stretch of hockey.

Hey Jovo, don't be angry with me for being right about Booth, Ballard and Gillis. I know you are a massive Booth and Gillis fan. Just be in awe of my pin pointed accuracy regarding the farce that those 3 are.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:Just be in awe of my pin point

YA ya ya....hindsight is always 20/20 dude but if we all placate you and acknowledge your predictive prowess...will you let it rest?
If you need air...call it in
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Mëds wrote: so lets hear what he could have done? Or are you just a whiny little bitch who complains that something is wrong but actually doesn't have the brains or the balls to suggest what could be, or could have been, done differently.
He needs to wait and see how players perform before making any suggestions.

If Morrow lights it up in Pitts, GMMG should have traded for him. If Morrow fails, then it was a good thing Gillis didn't go after him.

There is a reason why guys like Ballard and Booth have great careers on other teams and falter when they reach the Canucks, the coach is a tard who can't work with anyone news. Same reason why guys like Hodgson and Grabner go on to have career years when they finally escape the wrath of AV.

People give AV credit for bringing along guys like The Sedins, Kesler and Edler. But he had no choice with those players, they were his best at the time and he was forced to put them in the lineup and play them. Same reason why someone like Schroeder is now developing under AV - there is no other option.