Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by FAN »

RoyalDude wrote: Other than Hamhius, who the fuck has Gillis brought to the player that you would call a CORE player? The jury is still out on Garrison and Tanev.
Do they still have to be on the team? Ehrhoff was a core player here for a couple of years. Higgins is arguably a core player. I do think that core players for the future certainly need to be brought in, but Gillis has succeeded where Nonis and Burke failed (bring in players who are capable of supporting the team's star players).
Tiger wrote: Still think he should have picekd up Semin.. Guy's got the talent and might have panned out here.. 7 mill gamble for a 1 year contract ? A lot better than bringing in an older player whose stats are declining ( Doan )..
Ya I bet Gillis salivated over the idea of having AV coach an enigmatic Russian who has the talent to score 40 goals but scored 21 last year, who is capable of playing a two-way game but is often disinterested in playing defense, who can score in the playoffs but often disappears in key games, who is capable of winning the Lady Byng but prefers to take undisciplined penalties, and who loves to dangle with the puck even if it's dangerous to do so.
Tiger wrote: Ran into Willie Mitchell up island .. showing off the SC... Gillis lowballed him after his injury and he ended up in LA.. had a great playoff..
Wait. Mitchell didn't tell you that Gillis low-balled him did he? That's just your crap that you're spewing (no offense)? Mitchell was 33 and coming off a career-threatening injury. Gillis made him an offer and LA made the best offer. This best offer happened to be 2 years at $3.5M and Mitchell had to work out for NHL teams to get that. Besides, Gillis essentially replaced Mitchell with Dan Hamhuis.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

This is simple. Make two colums of players that MG brought in, I'll start

Good....................................Not so Good

Hamhuis................................Bernier
Lapierre................................Ballard
Higgins.................................Booth
Lack (FA signing )....................Alberts

et all
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

FAN wrote:Higgins is arguably a core player. .
LOL...Higgins my friend is not a core player. If that is what you consider a core player then you have very low standards. He's s fucking journeyman. You do not build around the likes of Higgins.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

FAN wrote: Wait. Mitchell didn't tell you that Gillis low-balled him did he? That's just your crap that you're spewing (no offense)? Mitchell was 33 and coming off a career-threatening injury. Gillis made him an offer and LA made the best offer. This best offer happened to be 2 years at $3.5M and Mitchell had to work out for NHL teams to get that. Besides, Gillis essentially replaced Mitchell with Dan Hamhuis.
Mitchell was a big loss for this team, IMO. As you could see how important a player like Mitchell could be in the playoffs, with L.A. He was huge for the Kings. Sure would have loved to have had him in the finals against the Bruins.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:This is simple. Make two colums of players that MG brought in, I'll start

Good....................................Not so Good

Hamhuis................................Bernier
Lapierre................................Ballard
Higgins.................................Booth
Lack (FA signing )....................Alberts

et all
Again, only one player in the GOOD column that I would consider a CORE Player, and that is Hamhius. The rest are quite disposable, however I do like the potential of Lack and you are missing Tanev from that list whom I think has the potential to be a core player. But the jury is still out on Lack and Tanev.

5 Seasons in and only one core player Gillis has on the present line-up of the team, the current core outside of Hamhius were put in place by the previous managements. Shit, in Nonis 3 short seasons as GM here or was it 2 seasons, he managed to bring in more core players than Gillis 5 seasons. A shame about Bourdon, that guy had core written all over him.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

FAN wrote: Do they still have to be on the team? Ehrhoff was a core player here for a couple of years. .
Nobody will argue with you that Erhoff was a core player but just like Mitchell, Gillis dropped the ball and lost him cause he had contracts like his boy Ballard fucking things up for him in his pursuit of Erhoff.

It will be funny if Quinton Howden ends up being a part of Florida package coming this way for Luongo.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Which current core players on the Canucks have needed to be replaced?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:Which current core players on the Canucks have needed to be replaced?
Replaced? Who the fuck is talking about replacement? The chatter here Topper is Gillis inability to add to that core mix. Like uh, better linemates for Kesler to play with on the 2nd line instead of just tossing him scrubs like Booth, Higgins, Raymond etc. We could definitely use some core on the 2nd line and a top notch 3rd line centre. I've got concerns for our D moving forward. If Edler continues to struggle, if Garrison is just one season flash in the pan, if Bieksa play continues to be inconsistent and Tanev doesn't develop into a top 4 d-man. Our bottom 6 at forward continues to be a struggle for Gillis, especially the 4th line. I love the great Canuck utility forward in Hansen but outside of that, maybe Higgins gets a walkover, but the rest can go. I hate Lappiere and his yapping while hiding behind the ref.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:Which current core players on the Canucks have needed to be replaced?
Kinda like how the resident pisser and moaner on the board doesn't admit how Brian Burke/Dave Nonis benefitted from Mike Keenan's/\Pat Quinn's moves prior to their being hired as a GM. He is either in denial or he simply can't grasp it. He probably thinks that Burke acquired assets like McCabe, Bertuzzi, Bure, Mogilny etc.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Kinda like how the resident pisser and moaner on the board doesn't admit how Brian Burke/Dave Nonis benefitted from Mike Keenan's/\Pat Quinn's moves prior to their being hired as a GM. He is either in denial or he simply can't grasp it. He probably thinks that Burke acquired assets like McCabe, Bertuzzi, Bure, Mogilny etc.
LOL...but Blobby, at least they were able to turn those assets into quality returns, wasn't the MCabe asset a vital cog in Burke's infamous Sedin trade on Draft Day. Probably the single greatest GM move in Canuck history. Wasn't the Bertuzzi asset flipped for a goalie named Luongo who will arguably go down as the best goalie in current Canuck history, by Nonis? Wasn't the Bure asset flipped for Jovo, not a bad return in my books for the disgruntled blue line cheater Pavel Bure who was merely just a shadow of his former self at the point in his career. Wasn't the Mogilny asset flipped for Brenden Morrison?

I understand that Burke and Nonis did not acquire those said players, but it's what they did with those assets that leaves me impressed. I mean, will the Sedins and Luongo, not go down as some of the greatest Canucks of all time? I have yet to see Gillis , other than his moving of White and Rahimi for Erhoff make such shrewd, calculating, franchise making moves as those. But the Erhoff deal is awash now because he just let that only qreat trade acquisition of his walk for nothing.

So tell me, what trade other than the Erhoff trade whom is no longer in the services of the Canucks would you lump with those trades that Burkie and Nonis made? The bottom line is, Gillis sucks monkey balls when it comes to making trades that improvies upon what was already set in place for him by previous management in the category of core, untouchable players, OTHER than Hamhius who was free agent signing BEGGING TO COME BACK HOME TO B.C. Remember, Nonis was only GM for 3 years. Gillis has had 5 years to bring in HIS PLAYERS and draft picks. Remember, the Canucks were the only team in the NHL at the end of the season whom did not have a player in the starting line-up whom they drafted over the last 5 drafts. We did at one point, but Hodgson was let go for a minor league player. What does that say about the drafting of Gillis?
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
LOL...but Blobby, at least they were able to turn those assets into quality returns, wasn't the MCabe asset a vital cog in Burke's infamous Sedin trade on Draft Day. Probably the single greatest GM move in Canuck history. Wasn't the Bertuzzi asset flipped for a goalie named Luongo who will arguably go down as the best goalie in current Canuck history, by Nonis? Wasn't the Bure asset flipped for Jovo, not a bad return in my books for the disgruntled blue line cheater Pavel Bure who was merely just a shadow of his former self at the point in his career. Wasn't the Mogilny asset flipped for Brenden Morrison?

I understand that Burke and Nonis did not acquire those said players, but it's what they did with those assets that leaves me impressed. I mean, will the Sedins and Luongo, not go down as some of the greatest Canucks of all time? I have yet to see Gillis , other than his moving of White and Rahimi for Erhoff make such shrewd, calculating, franchise making moves as those. But the Erhoff deal is awash now because he just let that only qreat trade acquisition of his walk for nothing.

So tell me, what trade other than the Erhoff trade whom is no longer in the services of the Canucks would you lump with those trades that Burkie and Nonis made? The bottom line is, Gillis sucks monkey balls when it comes to making trades that improvies upon what was already set in place for him by previous management in the category of core, untouchable players, OTHER than Hamhius who was free agent signing BEGGING TO COME BACK HOME TO B.C. Remember, Nonis was only GM for 3 years. Gillis has had 5 years to bring in HIS PLAYERS and draft picks. Remember, the Canucks were the only team in the NHL at the end of the season whom did not have a player in the starting line-up whom they drafted over the last 5 drafts. We did at one point, but Hodgson was let go for a minor league player. What does that say about the drafting of Gillis?

to me it says he sucks "monkey balls" as well...GMMG could not arrange a BJ in a cathouse...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Jeeeezus, how many times is this board going to witness this exact same argument..
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Maybe thousands...but its In the correct thread so.....repeat as necessary :D
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dbr wrote:Jeeeezus, how many times is this board going to witness this exact same argument..
Well the dude does seem to add a new mongoloid to his posse every time it takes place.

I like how he says Hodgson was dealt for a minor leaguer like Kassian is some scrub like Byron Bitz that has kicked around the AHL for years. he neglects to mention that his idol Brian Burke basically shit the bed on the Bure trade and acquired a 5ft 7 runt for Alex Mogilny.

The reality is today's core is Schneider, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa and Edler on the back end. Up front the core is the twins, Kesler and Burrows and potentially Kassian.

We can thank Burke for Kesler , Bieksa and the twins. Cheeseburger Boy brought in Edler and Schneider . Alex Burrows is here because of Craig Heisinger . Nonis had dick all to do with that signing originally, so all he did was offer a new contract to someone in the organization kinda like how Gillis has re-upped all the Burke/Nonis guys.

I
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

dbr wrote:Jeeeezus, how many times is this board going to witness this exact same argument..

until we win a Cup...