Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by BingoTough »

The Oilers are awesome. They drafted RNH, Yakupov and Hall. Three guaranteed superstars who will all play in the NHL next year.
Callicles
AHL Prospect

Post by Callicles »

The Canucks, as a franchise, have a generally poor drafting record. There are, of course, some exceptions, but in general the team has not been impressive at the draft. That said, I really think drafting is often overrated. But, before you jump all over me, I'm not saying it's not important, but rather that there's a lot that goes in to it and it often takes a long time to tell if you've done well or not. Unless you're drafting high and getting a player that is almost a sure thing, the future is very uncertain. As for the later picks, the system of development, the organizational attitude, and a lot of chance (remember, we're talking about 'kids') goes in to it.

I judge Gillis based on the moves he's made, primarily some pretty decent contracts, and the moves he has not made. He's not gone out and thrown buckets of money at people just for the sake of making a splash. Nor has he caved to pressure to sign playes that used to be franchise players. However, I have two major criticisms of Gillis. The 1st is that he didn't fire AV when he was hired. I know, the Canucks have done fairly well in the regular season since then, and even to the 7th game of the Stanley Cup final, but I think that, if not for AV's blunders, they would have reached that position sooner and, perhaps, even have beaten Boston in 2011 and, surely, LA in 2012. But, it's not a thread about AV. The second criticism is that he seems to refuse to face the reality of how the NHL is officiated. Personally, I love a fast, hard hitting, whistle to whistle team with lots of skill, and that is what Gillis has tried to build (though, perhaps not hard hitting enough). However, the further in to the playoffs a team progresses, the more this approach is penalized. It's just a fact about the world that refs swallow whistles in the playoffs, so it just won't work to play all skill, no tough and punish them on the powerplay. I'd like to see it called consistently from October to June, but it isn't, hasn't been, and won't be, so face that reality and make the necessary changes. Let us not forget you have to be able to score on the powerplay and, more importantly, there have to actually be powerplays.

Gillis is a bit of an idealist. On the one hand that's a good thing, such as sticking to principles around what he's willing to pay a player or what represents sensible term. On the other hand, refusing to recognize the necessity of toughness and players with a mean-sterak, has cost this team.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

wafflecombine wrote: This was easily solved back during the playoffs. Schneids is now our #1 goalie. We drafted him, he will be in the lineup next season. Easy rant for RD when the conditions for success were already predetermined.
Nonis picked Schneider not Gilllis. Therefore, RD will never watch another Canuck game again... :lol:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

In fairness I believe RD was poking fun at another fan's comments with that remark.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Gillis sucks........I'm done watching this team.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Callicles wrote:I know, the Canucks have done fairly well in the regular season since then
:lol:

I notice you are a believer in the power of understatement.

"fairly well in the regular season", eh?

:lol:

:roll:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What do we do about Gillis? How do we wake him from this never-ending slumber he seems to be in with those suitcases under his eyes like he is lacking sleep due to a lousy mattress his wife bought at Sleep Country. He just doesn't seem to be on the ball, and I ain't talkin' Rick Ball, otherwise known as the Baller. He just seems to be asleep at the wheel of this rudderless ship. He is lacking a course, a direction. He needs top map out a plan, a game plan like ol' War Room Holmgren over there on Broad Street just slaying deals left right and centre never letting sleeping dogs lie. Where is Gillis going with this? I have complete faith in him to find another Manny Malhotra to man the 3rd line centre position, he will be a good in the dressing room and community, speak well in interviews, be adored by fans and fans will cheer for him but what is lost in this love for such a limited offensive player is the ability to see the player for what he really is, a farce. But hey, lets keep winning the Presidents Trophy and fill this team with the Higgins, Pahlssons, Malhotra's, Lappieres, Booths of the world cause come the playoffs those guys are who you count on to phone it in.

Somebody wake me when Gillis finally trades Luongo for a fantastic 3rd line centre with a great skill set at shutting down the other teams stars. The next AV favorite son.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

RoyalDude wrote: He just doesn't seem to be on the ball, and I ain't talkin' Rick Ball, otherwise known as the Baller.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You listen to the TEAM too much. Or CFAX....lol
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

He needs top map out a plan, a game plan like ol' War Room
is it that he needs a plan, which he obviously has, or that he needs a plan that mirrors your plan?

RD, you can smoke, rant, rave and talk shit all you want, but lets face it. If you were a better GM than Gillis, you would have the job.

You don't.

Your just a cranky, sad, melacholy, cowardly human who takes all his personal real life shit out on another human using a faceless sounding board with no accountability. I hope this makes you feel better, but some of us wih you would just crawl away.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Tell us what you really think. The guy doesn't like MG, swims upstream but frankly I often get bored with flock approach. Counter thinkers often turn up some truths ;) I think MG would approve of his approach, because there's a lot of counter thinker in MG
cheers
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Fred wrote:Tell us what you really think. The guy doesn't like MG, swims upstream but frankly I often get bored with flock approach. Counter thinkers often turn up some truths ;)
True, but sometimes you need to reset the needle on a broken record...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I love you yah yah....skip I love you yah yah....skip
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Fred, I am not against his swimming upstream, just his delivery.

each thier own, I guess.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Fred, I am not against his swimming upstream, just his delivery.

each thier own, I guess.
Upstream that's the word I was looking for. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a glancer so i don't read all the superfluous chit chat :D But some of the players he doesn't like I don't care for either and as to MG after what ....4 years there has to be a review process. I don't think he's getting 10 out of 10. He seems to have a few warts worth looking at
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:Fred, I am not against his swimming upstream, just his delivery.

each thier own, I guess.
Upstream that's the word I was looking for. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a glancer so i don't read all the superfluous chit chat :D But some of the players he doesn't like I don't care for either and as to MG after what ....4 years there has to be a review process. I don't think he's getting 10 out of 10. He seems to have a few warts worth looking at
nobody said he deserved a 10 /10.... but you and the dude and a few other people would probably give him a 3 or 4 out of 10 at best. You guys piss and cry like the team is as shitty as the Blue Jackets.

Me I give him a 7.5 out of 10.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”