Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Meds »

Mondi wrote: Go read Booth's twitter account and you tell me if you think this guy screams common sense.
Go read most twitter accounts and tell me they scream common sense. It's fucking Twitter. But good source. On par with your sports writer.
Mondi wrote: The rest of your post is just you screaming at me and arguing using rhetorical claims. No need to respond.
Where was I screaming? I was laughing at you, I used capital letters as emphasis, but nowhere did I yell.

Of course there is no need to respond. I pointed out how wrong you were. I know it. You know it. Anyone who read both sides knows it.

At least you were right about the use of rhetoric.....I asked no questions that required a response. Merely pointed out the fallaciousness of your entire post.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So what now Gillis? What's it gonna be?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:So what now Gillis? What's it gonna be?

Gillis is probably pissed off at the ranking hf boards gave his prospects. After all they are experts at that site.

:bounce: :rofl: :bounce: :drunk: :rofl: :bounce:

Duh, Hockeysfuture ranked us 29th.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Gillis is probably pissed off at the ranking hf boards gave his prospects. After all they are experts at that site.

It's all pie in the face for Gillis cause on the day of his hiring, the arrogant a-hole made a boo boo by slagging the Nonis regime for making the cupboards bare. And now the cupboards have never been more bare in Canucks history, all under his watch. Nice one Gillis

Still waiting for Gillis to draft in one draft year quality full time NHL players like Nonis did in 2004 with Schneider, Edler, Mike Brown and Hansen.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

It's all pie in the face for Gillis cause on the day of his hiring, the arrogant a-hole made a boo boo by slagging the Nonis regime for making the cupboards bare. And now the cupboards have never been more bare in Canucks history, all under his watch. Nice one Gillis

Still waiting for Gillis to draft in one draft year quality full time NHL players like Nonis did in 2004 with Schneider, Edler, Mike Brown and Hansen.
Never been more bare? Go back and look at the rankings over the last 10 years before making statements that are simply incorrect.

I gues the last 2 seasons of winning mean nothing. I know I'd much rather have prospects than wins!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:
Never been more bare? Go back and look at the rankings over the last 10 years before making statements that are simply incorrect.

I gues the last 2 seasons of winning mean nothing. I know I'd much rather have prospects than wins!
Hey, I ain't defending Nonis drafting, but I find it hilarious that Gillis slagged some of the efforts of previous management when Gillis, this whole time, has been riding on the coattails of the core star elite group of this team that was provided by the previous management(s) - Luongo and Schneider, Elder, Raymond, Hansen (Nonis players), The Sedins, Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows (Burke), Kesler.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:

Hey, I ain't defending Nonis drafting, but I find it hilarious that Gillis slagged some of the efforts of previous management when Gillis, this whole time, has been riding on the coattails of the core star elite group of this team that was provided by the previous management(s) - Luongo and Schneider, Elder, Raymond, Hansen (Nonis players), The Sedins, Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows (Burke), Kesler.
Dude makes dome valid points...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

paddy wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:

It's all falling upon deaf ears Paddy, this is the Gillis Fan Club here.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

paddy wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:

He can and does make some valid points. Point is we all get it because he repeats the same crap over and over again. I am not happy with some MG's performance but what is the point of beating a dead horse multiple times in a day ? Then when the dude has a point crammed down his throat he ignores it like it never happened or conveniently dances around the subject.
Here's one : How different would this team look if Trailer Park Randy didn't step put of the box and fuck up his first round picks from 05 - 07 ? I like the names Anze Kopitar, Chris Stewart and David Perron better than Luc Bourdon, Michael Grabner and Patrick White.

Or how about the fact he constantly uses hf as a tool to back up his arguments yet fails to acknowledge hf thought the Canucks prospects in 05 which included Bieksa, Burrows, Edler, Schneider, Kesler, Raymond and Hansen was 25th in the NHL. Quite the wizards at hf.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:

Actually you did exactly that - defended Nonis' drafting - 'I'm still waiting for Gillis to have a draft like Nonis did in 2004'.

I love the argument of 'Nonis and Burke drafted everyone'. It's such a stupid argument - they threw away 5 seasons of hockey, or perhaps you forget 96 through 2002? Their reward? They were able to draft the twins and Bryan Allen, who was a major piece of the Luongo trade. Keenan got McCabe, Bertuzzi and Jarkko Ruutu for Linden so he should get just as much credit as Burke for the twins, given McCabe and a 1st (Vorobiev) turned into Henrik Sedin, but nobody gives him any love. Edler was 21 when Nonis was fired - yes Nonis drafted him but Gillis and team developed him into a top level dman. Same with Hansen, who played all of 5 NHL games under Nonis - his development is all Gillis. Kes was a 30 point 3rd line NHLer under Nonis, it was Gillis who brought in Sundin who had a huge hand in helping Kes turn into a top notch player. Burrows wasn't Burke, he was a Moose signing (Cheveldayoff) so he gets zero credit there.

I've criticized Gillis' handling of the Lu situation, and I will criticize it even more if Lu is still a Canuck in 48 hours. Same with Ballard (should have cut bait last off-season). Booth I still think needs some time, if he can ever get any damn luck and stay healthy. You do nothing but criticize without giving any credit for his good moves (Hamhuis, Garrison, Tanev, and keeping pretty much every player on the team for below market value), can't have it both ways my friend.

You really should go cheer for Florida, they are great at being ranked highly by Hockey's Future (which you love) and not coming anywhere close to being an elite team while throwing away year after year. Those are the things you cheer for.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:

Dude makes dome valid points...[/quote]

He can and does make some valid points. Point is we all get it because he repeats the same crap over and over again. I am not happy with some MG's performance but what is the point of beating a dead horse multiple times in a day ? Then when the dude has a point crammed down his throat he ignores it like it never happened or conveniently dances around the subject.
Here's one : How different would this team look if Trailer Park Randy didn't step put of the box and fuck up his first round picks from 05 - 07 ? I like the names Anze Kopitar, Chris Stewart and David Perron better than Luc Bourdon, Michael Grabner and Patrick White.

Or how about the fact he constantly uses hf as a tool to back up his arguments yet fails to acknowledge hf thought the Canucks prospects in 05 which included Bieksa, Burrows, Edler, Schneider, Kesler, Raymond and Hansen was 25th in the NHL. Quite the wizards at hf.[/quote]

Yup, development is key, not draft position. Hockey's Future and THN both rank guys by draft position when they should also rank by team track record - i.e. how has the team that picked them done in recent times developing players? Nucks would be much higher then.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:
Actually you did exactly that - defended Nonis' drafting - 'I'm still waiting for Gillis to have a draft like Nonis did in 2004'.

I love the argument of 'Nonis and Burke drafted everyone'. It's such a stupid argument - they threw away 5 seasons of hockey, or perhaps you forget 96 through 2002? Their reward? They were able to draft the twins and Bryan Allen, who was a major piece of the Luongo trade. Keenan got McCabe, Bertuzzi and Jarkko Ruutu for Linden so he should get just as much credit as Burke for the twins, given McCabe and a 1st (Vorobiev) turned into Henrik Sedin, but nobody gives him any love. Edler was 21 when Nonis was fired - yes Nonis drafted him but Gillis and team developed him into a top level dman. Same with Hansen, who played all of 5 NHL games under Nonis - his development is all Gillis. Kes was a 30 point 3rd line NHLer under Nonis, it was Gillis who brought in Sundin who had a huge hand in helping Kes turn into a top notch player. Burrows wasn't Burke, he was a Moose signing (Cheveldayoff) so he gets zero credit there.

I've criticized Gillis' handling of the Lu situation, and I will criticize it even more if Lu is still a Canuck in 48 hours. Same with Ballard (should have cut bait last off-season). Booth I still think needs some time, if he can ever get any damn luck and stay healthy. You do nothing but criticize without giving any credit for his good moves (Hamhuis, Garrison, Tanev, and keeping pretty much every player on the team for below market value), can't have it both ways my friend.

You really should go cheer for Florida, they are great at being ranked highly by Hockey's Future (which you love) and not coming anywhere close to being an elite team while throwing away year after year. Those are the things you cheer for.
Breath Diehard, take a deep breath

So, according to you, you give no credit to the people (previous mgmt) that brought in the players to this organization who are the core elite group of the team that Gillis has been riding the coattails of since he got here, but now since this group seemingly is on the down slide, getting stale and in need of a serious new addition to, it just proves that Gillis has not added any significant pieces of his own other than signing to BC born and raised defenseman WHO WANTED TO SIGN HERE regardless of who the GM was here.

So in short, you are saying, if it were not for Gillis and Matts Sundin these core group players like the Sedins, Kesler, Edler Bieksa, Schneider, etc would never have become the players they are today. Holy shit Batman, Gillis is fucking brilliant. (I love how AV was left out of the discussion by Diehard, but I digress)

Nonis drafted Schneider late in the draft, Burke drafted Kesler late in the draft - two very important cogs to the Canucks machine at the momment, but no credit given. IT'S ALL GILLIS!

Gillis currently has the best goalie tandem in the NHL, who brought those two goalies in? And just how good would Gillis be without them, cause it seems to me that it's the goaltending right now that is the lifeblood of this organization. Without them, we are riding shotgun with Florida Panther bottom feeders, cause we certainly cannot count on our scoring which is 19th in the league and PP which is 30th. Something that Gillis chooses not to deal with. I really cannot wait to see Gillis add some 3rd or 4th line talent and 5th, 6th,7th type D-men at the trade deadline like he always does like it's really gonna help. Until Gillis manages to figure out how to put his own mark to the core elite group of this team and not ride on Burkes and Nonis, I will then give him credit.

And Diehard, I am not the only critic of Gillis drafting, even Gillis good buddie's and flag wavers on 1040 mainly Tony Eor Gallagher have been calling out Gillis and his drafting which to put lightly, has been atrocious, yet the Player Agent, shitty GM, good executive Gillis shows us his patented, undeserving arrogance, at his hiring by slagging Nonis for leaving the cupboards bare all the while every pundit across this nation rate the Canucks prospect list as worst in the NHL? Don't shoot the messenger, Diehard, get mad at Gillis and his merry men of homo's.

And please do not use the late drafting excuse for Gillis, Teams like the Bruins have managed to draft the likes of Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci and Marchand outside the 2nd round in recent drafts. The Blues always seem to find gems late in the draft and outside the first as well as a boat load of other teams. Just no excuses for Gillis making the cupboards as bare as they are now, which is the worst in Canuck history.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

RD are you critical of Gillis for not making a deal with the Laughs in the summer?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote: Booth gems...

"Jesus paid it all. All to Him I owe. #greatfriday"

"Who needs a doctor: The healthy or the sick? I'm here inviting the sin sick, not the spiritually fit."

"Faith is a commitment based on evidence."
LMFAO...get this Kook off our team for fuck sakes. People are entitled to their faith's, I respect that, but keep that shite to yourself. Booth is just plain fucking weirdo religious.

He's as dumb as he is on the ice, off the ice.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Keep it in the closet eh RD?