Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mondi wrote:Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 6 Mar
Worth noting at June draft Canucks could've had Kadri, Bozak and a pick for Luongo. Got greedy. Now have lost as many as have won.

Evidence enough.
Yes... Damien Cox.... :lol:

I guess you could always follow Botchford....

Jason Botchford @botchford
@notafullcolon it doesn't matter, luongo refused to waive his NTC. He's wrong. Or misleading people. But Kadri was always in discussion

lol :stupid:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Yes... Damien Cox.... :lol:
Yeah. When you're relying on that clown to give your argument credibility.. that's not a good thing.

(Ironically that quote from Cox was widely mocked around the hockey world for contradicting his own previous claims about the situation..)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mondi wrote:Luongo for Kadri and Bozak was widely reported as on the table.

Something tells me Booth interprets the Bible literally, that kind of thinking speaks for itself.
Luongo for Kadri and Bozak was reported.....but it was also reported that the leaves had no intention of giving up Kadri.

Hmmmm so now his religious views correlate directly to his hockey knowledge and on-ice savvy. Brilliant connection there Sherlock. :roll:
Mondi wrote: People forget about how important Erhoff was to this team's #1 PP unit and breakout. He was FAR more dynamic than Edler offensively and at least as competent defensive. Give the guy shorter term and more money, it may have worked. Especially if Ballard, another Gillis gem, was cut.
Shorter term for Ehrhoff probably meant $6M a year.....way to much.

Yes, because Ballard was signed to a pre-season tryout and could have been let go just like that.
Mondi wrote: Salo could have been kept, had Ballard been waived, buried, trade for pucks...etc. Case closed.
Yeah, it works just like that. Pick up the phone, book the flight, call another GM and tell him Ballard is on his way so send us a prospect coming back the other way or put the paperwork through that gives us a pick or two.... :roll:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Sure Raymond doesn't wear down defenders like say David Booth,
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I don't get it Dude.

I don't think any of us do.

Or is it just the drugs?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Funny that Royaldude loves Mason Raymond and his 22 goals over 82 games scoring pace, but hated David Booth and his 23 goals over 82 games scoring pace from last year.

Weird.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mondi wrote:When it comes to providing sources for an argument, I have one highly connected NHL writer.
Are you talking about Damien Cox?

He is not "highly connected," he is a professional troll. He provokes reactions from the lowest common denominator and leaves breaking news (the kinds of thing that "highly connected" "journalists" with "sources" do) and detailed analysis (the kind of thing that "intelligent" commentators with "insight" do) to other more qualified folks.

But even assuming that "DamoSpin" is some kind of finger-on-the-pulse, certified NHL Insider, one could provide an equally credible source for an argument contradicting it. Here's yours:
@DamoSpin Worth noting at June draft Canucks could've had Kadri, Bozak and a pick for Luongo. Got greedy. Now have lost as many as have won.
Link
And here's mine:
@DamoSpin Can see why VAN hoped to get Kadri for Luongo. Can see why leaves said no bloody chance.
Link
Isn't that fun? Two weeks apart and the guy is telling completely contradictory tales.

Bonus reading: http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/03/0 ... edibility/
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

dbr wrote:
He is not "highly connected," he is a professional troll. He provokes reactions from the lowest common denominator
Are we talking about Cox or RD here?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mondi wrote:When it comes to providing sources for an argument, I have one highly connected NHL writer. You have rhetorical claims. Are you closer to the league and have better sources than DamoSpin? Do you honestly believe that you have more insight than him, someone who spends his life on the topic?
Directed at me because I quoted Botchford? We can each quote "highly connected NHL writers" (and I :lol: even writing that), it doesn't make either of them correct.
But yeah, fire AV. Canucks are nearly the top of the league with Keith Ballard at forward, but, the fact that this team isn't first overall is AVs fault.

People are defending GMMG by saying it's not easy to do a better job. That's not a defence. That's just a statement.
Well this is how spoiled we've become. This team can be 6th in the league and we're looking to fire someone, ANYONE. Coach, GM, Assistant Coach... How about we just accept that there are good teams in this league? That they didn't get there by accident. The Canucks are one of them, and that "blaming" people for not being first overall makes us look pretty arrogant.
And I'll say is that if you interpret the bible literally...it may call into question your common sense. And let's face it, common sense is required to play sports.
Since when is common sense required to be athletically gifted? Plenty of athletes are dumb as posts. David Booth isn't qualified to teach elementary science, but he's fit enough to skate and (try...at least) push a puck towards a net.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Mondi wrote:As you will see above, my post meant to convey our fall from first to sixith "isn't AV's fault". And we don't need to be first to be a pretty damn good team.
I 100% agree with this - a team does not need to be first to be good - just look at all the previous cup winners or conference finalists.

I'm not saying it's AV fault either, but I am saying the guys in the locker room have tuned him out. The 5 game winning streak is mostly due to amazing goaltending, which is the same way the team won games in the 2nd half of last season.

FFS, if the tables were turned and AV was coaching another team and became available, I'd probably be one of the first to say fire whoever is behind the bench and hire the guy. As soon as AV's time is done in Vancouver, he'll land another NHL job quickly, and he'll do well with that team, maybe even win a Stanley Cup within 2-3 years. But 7 years is A LONG time for a coach, especially with the same core group of players.

So it's either blow it up and start building a new core group that isn't tired of listening to the same-old thing over and over and over again or drop one guy and bring in a fresh new voice.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

I find it shocking that anyone watching the Canucks play could even hint that signing Jason Garrison was a bad move.

Not only has he been far and away our best defenseman for the past 20 or so games but he's spent 90% of that time playing on the right side.

Those in this thread who have criticized that move should delete their accounts now and go hang out at cdc.

Garrison is exactly what we needed. A big, durable, 2-way defender, who can play both sides.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Potatoe1 wrote:I find it shocking that anyone watching the Canucks play could even hint that signing Jason Garrison was a bad move.

Not only has he been far and away our best defenseman for the past 20 or so games but he's spent 90% of that time playing on the right side.

Those in this thread who have criticized that move should delete their accounts now and go hang out at cdc.

Garrison is exactly what we needed. A big, durable, 2-way defender, who can play both sides.
I've been wondering the same thing. He rarely gets beat, he never throws the puck away blind and can skate for a big dude. Throw in an absolute howitzer and I'm not sure what more the guy could do.
Great signing
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Potatoe1 wrote:I find it shocking that anyone watching the Canucks play could even hint that signing Jason Garrison was a bad move.

Sometimes your like a one trick pony. Some people like myself said there was a more pressing need for a forward than another high priced D man where we now have over 33% of the cap hit for next year on. Even more if we count in Ballard.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Reefer2 wrote:

Sometimes your like a one trick pony. Some people like myself said there was a more pressing need for a forward than another high priced D man where we now have over 33% of the cap hit for next year on. Even more if we count in Ballard.
We lost a top 6 defender to free agency and replaced him with a younger, faster, stronger version. Seeing as JG has rounded into our best blue liner it's pretty hard to fault the signing. Faulting the GM for not predicting Kesler wouldn't be playing most of the year is also a bit weak.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I got 3 words for the Luongo situation - GILLIS IS FUCKED!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I wonder if Dave Nonis has put the call out to Gillis pointing out " Hey Mikey, those bare cupboards ya slagged me for at your press conference hiring, don't look any fuller now than they were back then. I see Hockeysfuture has your drafting ranked 29th in the league. In fact, I would say your cupboards look a whole lot emptier than they did back way then. But anyhow, nice work Einstein."
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau