Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Aaronp18 »

vic wrote: There is a reason why guys like Ballard and Booth have great careers on other teams and falter when they reach the Canucks, the coach is a tard who can't work with anyone news. Same reason why guys like Hodgson and Grabner go on to have career years when they finally escape the wrath of AV.
All this evidence shows is that average players can succeed on shitty teams that aren't strong defensively.

Sure they put up better numbers but is it any coincidence that the teams they played on when they put up career offensive numbers were horrendous and couldn't keep the puck out of their own net?

I could care less about guys having individual accomplishments, we've been there and done that. Time for a Cup and having defensive liabilities play major roles on your team will get you nowhere in the post-season.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

From TSN Ice Chips
Ryan Kesler is having a CT scan and Gillis says he has been pain free "for some time" but that's not the case, according to Kesler. - TSN
I thought the Canucks were a fairly tight knit group but things like this leave me scratching my head and makes management look stupid.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Benjo wrote: I thought the Canucks were a fairly tight knit group but things like this leave me scratching my head and makes management look stupid.
I'm of the opinion that Kesler likes to mind-fcuk the media just for shits and giggles.

He'll get a call from Gillis now:

GMMG - "Why the hell did you tell TSN you were still in pain?"
Kesler - "I am in pain still, it's painful watching the PP try and score without me!"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Benjo wrote: I thought the Canucks were a fairly tight knit group but things like this leave me scratching my head and makes management look stupid.
I'm of the opinion that Kesler likes to mind-fcuk the media just for shits and giggles.
I think MG does enjoy the mind-fuck also.

"We don't really need another Centre, Kesler's pain free and almost back... we'll only make a deal if it makes sense.. there's no urgency." :roll:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

vic wrote:
Mëds wrote: so lets hear what he could have done? Or are you just a whiny little bitch who complains that something is wrong but actually doesn't have the brains or the balls to suggest what could be, or could have been, done differently.
He needs to wait and see how players perform before making any suggestions.

If Morrow lights it up in Pitts, GMMG should have traded for him. If Morrow fails, then it was a good thing Gillis didn't go after him.

There is a reason why guys like Ballard and Booth have great careers on other teams and falter when they reach the Canucks, the coach is a tard who can't work with anyone news. Same reason why guys like Hodgson and Grabner go on to have career years when they finally escape the wrath of AV.

People give AV credit for bringing along guys like The Sedins, Kesler and Edler. But he had no choice with those players, they were his best at the time and he was forced to put them in the lineup and play them. Same reason why someone like Schroeder is now developing under AV - there is no other option.
LOL. You're probably right.

But once again RD decides to just cloud the issue with complaints, calls out mistakes (in this case mine apparently), but offers no suggested solution to what he's crying about. Go figure..... :roll:

He's probably a card carrying union member who votes NDP.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Mondi wrote: As for the BS about AV. They guy took the team to Game 7 of SCF. Won the regular season two years in a row. Has had the top PP and PK in the league for long stretches. And has seen the Twins, Kesler, Raymond, Hansen, Elder, Erhoff, Samuelsson, Burrows...etc have career years during his tenure. AV is a good coach. Heck he's won the Adams and been nominated for it twice.
All in the past.
Mondi wrote: He also signed RL to a boat anchor of a contract.
You mean the guy that took the team to Game 7 of the SCF despite the forwards shitting the bed on offense, won the Jennings Trophy, Nominated for the Vezina twice and Hart once, won an Olympic Gold Medal in Roger's Arena Canada Hockey Place, is the winningest goaltender in Canucks history, owns the majority of the Canucks goal tending records, single handily won the Jack Adams for AV his first year here, has NEVER lost in Round 1of the playoffs, was arguably the teams' MVP last year once the team couldn't figure out what to do after the Jan 7 Boston Game, and the guy who played excellent when the first-year starter couldn't get the job done.

That guy, right?

Just like Lou's time in Vancouver is done (by most accounts), so is AV's. Go find a coach who has managed to get his team to the holy grail of hockey after failing to do so in his first 5 years behind the bench. He doesn't exist. Coaches either win it within the first 4 years or don't win it at all.

AV is a good coach, but his time in Vancouver should be done. The players are probably sick and tired of hearing the same thing over and over again - the thing that hasn't won them anything, but maybe, just maybe this year the same old message will be different.

AV's favourites on the team can coast for a shift here and there knowing they'll be back on the ice for their next shift. The guys who have spent regular time in AV's doghouse are squeezing the stick afraid to get creative or make a mistake because they know they'll be right back in it if they do.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Gillis isn't going to flinch and fire AV while his team is in the hunt for another division title. If the Canucks don't go deep, AV is gone and Gillis buys himself another off season to re-tool the team. Fire AV now, and risk the team struggling further down the stretch, and then having nobody but the roster you've assembled to blame for failure. AV stays until the offseason at least.

Frankly, I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked... when you factor in Kelser, Manny, Booth and one of the goalies (between $15.75M and 17.05M worth) not available on a nightly basis. That doesn't even include Ballard hanging out eating twizzlers in the rafters. Suddenly that $69M payroll becomes $52M... roughly Islanders/Oilers territory.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote: He needs to wait and see how players perform before making any suggestions.
um...so

What would you rather me do, be like the rest of you and judge David Booth's current play on a 30 goal season he had with the Panthers 5 years ago?

Hate to break it to you Einstein but it's a "what have you done for me lately, world' when it comes to sports. If I took your approach, Jaromir Jagr is the best player in the game right now.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote:
There is a reason why guys like Ballard and Booth have great careers on other teams and falter when they reach the Canucks, the coach is a tard who can't work with anyone news. Same reason why guys like Hodgson and Grabner go on to have career years when they finally escape the wrath of AV.
Vic, before I begin, let me say that I am honored to be in the presence of your High IQ. It's a sight to behold.

So, when the team goes on a 4 game winning streak with players like Gordon, Ebbett, w ith rookies like Schroeder as your 2nd line centre, defenseman like Alberts and Barker, and a defenseman playing forward like Ballard. Injuries to key players like Kesler and your top defenseman suspended for 2 games, your top players in the Sedins playing sub par to their standards, is the because the coach is a tard?

If you ask a whiney little bitch like me with no brains and no balls I would say that it that points to fantastic coaching and terrible GM'ing, but that is just me.

BTW, don't let John Shorthouse hear you call the coach a tard. Just ask Sekaris and Price about that.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote:

People give AV credit for bringing along guys like The Sedins, Kesler and Edler. But he had no choice with those players, they were his best at the time and he was forced to put them in the lineup and play them. Same reason why someone like Schroeder is now developing under AV - there is no other option.
What color is the sky in your world, vic?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
He's probably a card carrying union member who votes NDP.
Boi, you got more of where that came from, Mëds? That's brilliant stuff.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote:I like how criticizing the GM for making objectively shitty decisions somehow equates to being an NDP voter.
It's Mëds we are talking about.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey Mëds you Beautiful Mind you, you still haven't answered the questions

Was AV the Architect in taking on 8.7 million in salary on long term contracts in two players, Booth and Ballard who have been nothing but disappointments since arriving? Oh, let me guess, right...it's AV's fault, why they suck.

Was it AV who traded a 2nd and a 3rd round pick for Bernier?

Is it AV's fault why Hockeysfuture have, on their most recent rankings, have ranked the Canucks 29th in the NHL in Prospects?

Was it AV's fault for not having a plan B at the centre ice position, knowing full well the state of health regarding centre's Kesler and Malhotra? Leaving a rookie in Schroeder and a journeyman AHL'er in Ebbet as the only other options?

Is it AV's fault that Salo, Mitchell and Erhoff walked?

Was it AV's fault that we have an issue with a lack of right handed defenseman?

Is it AV's fault that Luongo was signed to a massive contract? and that Luongo has not been traded for a player to help make AV's job a little bit easier than it is now?

Was it AV's fault for taking the hardline arrogant approach in the Schultz sweepstakes into thinking that he was a sure thing to sign here?

Was it AV's fault to waste all that time in pursuing the services of Doan? When they could have been pursuing someone else with a more realistic chance of signing here instead?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote: That is legit criticism. You may disagree, but the objective facts points to 8 million in salary and one empty net goal. Booth brought little last season, though showed flashes. Ballard has been a bust since day one in Vancouver.
But Mondi, you are forgetting, Booth scored 30 goals on a shitty team in the east 5 years ago. That means he's excellent. And Ballard had a good year in Phoenix way back as well.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

LOL at ANYONE saying Gillis is an idiot for letting Salo and Mitchell walk.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”