Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote:Dude, how's Anaheim doing today? Relevant, since we're giving Burke credit for the Canucks success now...
Um, well if you really want to know, they took a turn for the worse after Burkie left. It hasn't been a bed of roses down in Anaheim since Burkie left.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I've been reserving judgement on GMMG mainly because a GM needs time for his moves to pan out. Overall Gillis hasn't been all that bad considering. 2 bogus trades and 1 home run.
I really don't know how you can call the Booth deal "bogus" give we gave up dead weight salary, and got a guy who is currently making less then what he would get in free agency.

The Ballard deal obviously sucked but the Booth deal is at worst a wash and could start looking pretty good next season if he and Kesler are both healthy.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Farhan, why don't you get a life and quit being a troll, i have asked you nicely to quit misquoting my quotes... go waste your time on somebody else over at Calpuke... thats where your kind of posting belongs....
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

TDA Rum wrote:Farhan, my name is Wendy
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Topper you so funny... in a gay sort of way....
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

TDA Rum wrote:Farhan, why don't you get a life and quit being a troll, i have asked you nicely to quit misquoting my quotes... go waste your time on somebody else over at Calpuke... thats where your kind of posting belongs....
Hey TDA Rum,

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I'm honestly just quoting whatever that you are saying. I'm not really sure what you're getting at. :eh:

Nonetheless - I do think your Gillis/Nonis comparison is a significantly biased, but that's the beauty about message boards. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, and the Vancouver Canucks organization is what binds us all. 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I've been reserving judgement on GMMG mainly because a GM needs time for his moves to pan out. Overall Gillis hasn't been all that bad considering. 2 bogus trades and 1 home run.

In summary, I think he's a bit tentative in addressing needs via trade and could use a testicle transplant when there appears to be a need worthy of moving someone off the roster.

His signings and re-signings have been stellar. He is probably the premier GM in the NHL for managing contracts, attracting UFA's, keeping his players happy and supplied with all the modern conveniences available for professional athletes. His development program is also the standard league wide for bringing young guys along the right way.
Agreed, in a perfect world we'd have Gilman managing the cap, MG handling the contracts and aggressive GM Chiarelli handling our trades. http://es.pn/wW26An ;)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

The report did not talk about the Ehrhoff's trade, Backes' offer sheet, and Hamhuis' signing.
Then there's the draft itself. Gillis has to get picks right. With the possible exception of Jordan Schroeder, there is no obvious example of a previous draft choice who is ready for prime time. Other teams are finding players who get to the NHL quickly in an era in which younger players are shining.

The Canucks can't use their late draft order, which results from strong regular-season records that push them down the picking list, as an excuse. Ultimately, Gillis is responsible for the picks -- and they have not panned out.
I assume picking 1st overall has no advantages over 30th overall... :hmmm:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

No mention of Jensen either and he may have overtaken Schroeder as the best prospect. I'm wondering if the Canucks have two prospects that are likely to make the NHL ...is two an average number for most teams ? The entry level contract are 3 years so how many years do teams keep prospects.... 3??
cheers
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Fred wrote:No mention of Jensen either and he may have overtaken Schroeder as the best prospect. I'm wondering if the Canucks have two prospects that are likely to make the NHL ...is two an average number for most teams ? The entry level contract are 3 years so how many years do teams keep prospects.... 3??
I think ideally every year you want a handful of prospects who look like they are legitimately ready to push for an NHL roster spot in the near term. On a deep team like the Canucks, that expectation obviously needs to be downgraded somewhat as young players need to outplay significantly better players than prospects in the Oilers or Islanders systems to earn a NHL spot.

IMO, with the Canucks we only have Schroeder, Jensen and Lack in the system who should be pushing for an NHL roster spot over the next one to three years.

Tanev and Kassian are two young guys who are tweeners at this point. Arguments could be made for either of these guys playing in the AHL or NHL, but I suspect at this point they both have NHL gigs unless they begin to regress significantly. I don't know if they are still considered prospects, but I don't think so.

Other players like Connauton, Rodin, Sweatt and Sauve are more unknown, and most CHL or NCAA players are very hard to guage where they'll be in five years.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Yeah I forgot Lack, maybe he's ready. But I have to think most teams have a pretty regular turn over of propsects and they are lucky if they get 1 per season and maybe one every 3 season for a star player. So if the Canucks have 3 in the wings waiting maybe that's average ?
cheers
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Fred wrote:Yeah I forgot Lack, maybe he's ready. But I have to think most teams have a pretty regular turn over of propsects and they are lucky if they get 1 per season and maybe one every 3 season for a star player. So if the Canucks have 3 in the wings waiting maybe that's average ?
Adding one prospect to your NHL roster per season would probably be considered a pretty good clip considering many NHL players have long careers spanning 10+ seasons. Add to that the UFAs that are usually added to each team's roster each off season and there aren't that many spots available for rookies on many teams.

Depending on your definition of star player, I would argue that teams add a star player once every 5-10 years. The last star player the Canucks developed was Kesler, IMO. Maybe we'll be able to add Schneider to that list in one or two years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lets me just say, that if Mike Gillis does not have one player that his regime drafted in the line-up next season...I WILL NEVER WATCH ANOTHER CANUCK GAME AGAIN!!!!

But seriously now, Gillis drafting and developing is starting to look real bad...heading into his 5th draft year and not much to get excited about, I mean seriously, how much of an impact are Schroeder and Jensen gonna make??? They've proved nothing to this point, so don't hold your hopes on those two making it. Ya think they are gonna get time on the top 2 lines ahead of the likes of Booth and Higgins or even Hansen. And with the league all getting big again, how affective is a Schroeder gonna be? Schroeder on the 3rd line??? I just don't see it, so it basically boils down to Jensen.

Gillis really needs to change the attitude here and start making this organization a little bit more prospect friendly for the players he's drafted. Or maybe just stop trading picks left, right and centre for quick fixes that do not work, ie Bernier, Ballard and Pahlsson.

There are teams that make their best picks late in the draft so there is no excuse for Gillis. Look at a lot of the current Canucks who were drafted by Vancouver, a lot of them were post 1st round draft picks, ie Bieksa, Elder, Hansen and Raymond. Kesler wasn't an early pick either was Schneider
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:Lets me just say, that if Mike Gillis does not have one player that his regime drafted in the line-up next season...I WILL NEVER WATCH ANOTHER CANUCK GAME AGAIN!!!!
Are you serious?? :lol: