Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Meds » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:02 pm

RoyalDude wrote:I just love how everyone around here keeps rewarding Gillis one mulligan after another for the Canucks seemingly indifferent play this year, string of injuries, bad planning. Even though it was Gillis who assembled the team that AV has to coach with this year, yet AV is not rewarded the same walkover welcoming matt into the loving open arms of the likes of you that Gillis gets. :rofl:

I guess with the great play of MayRay this year, they, the critics, needed to put a new face on the blame and most certainly it will not be the great Moneypuck Mike Gillis and his shite job this year, they just love him way too much and drum every excuse in the book for him.

Say hello to AV, he's every Canuck fans bitch nowadays. :rofl:

Vigneault doesn't get the same treatment for several reasons (in no particular order)...

1. He's been here longer.

2. Gillis has given him the players that he wants. Gillis doesn't sign or trade anyone without consulting AV.

3. It I'd the coach's job to motivate the team and draw up a gameplan that works, both against the opponent and also for his collection of players.

The primary reason is the 2nd one. AV said he needed certain players to win that 16th playoff game. At the trade deadline last year GMMG got him those players. The team then played like crap and were bounced in 5 by the Kings.

Vigneault has apparently been trying to get the PP forwards to shoot more and pass less.....this isn't happening. The only guy shooting more is Garrison on the point. The Sedins pass up multiple quality shooting chances every game on the PP. If AV can't get some of the best players in the league to shoot more then I think it's the coach and not the players the GM gives him to work with.

But just to humor you a bit RD, and consider that maybe you're right about Gillis. I'll ask you one more time, what players has Gillis passed on or failed to trade? You go on and on about Gillis' shortcomings and what he hasn't done.....so lets hear what he could have done? Or are you just a whiny little bitch who complains that something is wrong but actually doesn't have the brains or the balls to suggest what could be, or could have been, done differently.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:42 am

Gillis acquired David Booth and Keith Ballard.

8-) :devil:
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:56 am

Mondi wrote:Gillis acquired David Booth and Keith Ballard.

8-) :devil:

That post by Meds was Golden, I'm still pissing myself in laughter. Yes Meds, you really did 'HUMOR' me. MEDS must've been METH'ed out, cause he must've wrote a novels length of posts over the weekend.

So, AV has gone on a 4 game winning streak tear with a fucking ramshackle line-up, thanks to the Architect - Mike Gillis fabulous GM'ing. AV is managing to eek out wins with the likes of players like Ebbett, Gordon, a rookie in Schroeder, Alberts, Ballard playing wing, Barker, the Sedins playing tier two hockey, no Kesler, no Edler for two games, yet we should fire him?

I never realized this but according to Meds, AV is the architect of this team. Makes me wonder what Gillis does? So, I guess AV traded for Booth and Ballard, traded a 2nd round and 3rd round pick for Bernier, picked all those useless prospects at the draft since Gillis has been GM, let Mitchell, Erhoff and Salo walk, signed Luongo to that ridiculous contract. And I guess it's AV's fault that our centre position is in the state that it is now, full well knowing that this might happen with the fact that Kesler would not be ready for the season from off-season surgery and that he had a cyclops in Malhotra and assuming that a pint sized rookie in Schroeder could fill in for Kesler and that a journeyman AHL'er in Ebbett would be satisfactory. All AV's fault. I won't even go there with the arrogant, hardline shitty sales job he did on trying to convince Schultz to sign with us and all that time wasted on Doan. Thankfully, Doan stayed with the Yotes. This was all AV's doing, no not Gillis, AV's.

Doesn't it say something, how well AV is doing without Gillis two prized acquisitions in Ballard and Booth, or should I say, Ballard at forward.

Someone pointed out that our record is .500 with Booth in the line-up 5-5-3 and is a winning record with him out - 12-5-3. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I guess Aqualini is going to blame AV when Aquaman has to dig into his wallet to buy out one of or both of Booth and Ballard?

Who's job should really be on the line? According to Meds, it's the architect - AV

Chef Boi RD - the whiney little bitch, no brains, no balls.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:07 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Someone pointed out that our record is .500 with Booth in the line-up 5-5-3 and is a winning record with him out - 12-5-3. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I guess Aqualini is going to blame AV when Aquaman has to dig into his wallet to buy out one of or both of Booth and Ballard?

Who's job should really be on the line? According to Meds, it's the architect - AV

With your logic, the Canucks should buy out Kesler as well. The Canucks had a 2-3-2 record when Kesler was in the lineup and was 15-6-4 when he was out. Also, the Canucks should trade Edler for a bag of pucks, the Canucks had a perfect record when he is out with a suspension. :lol:
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14 am

Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

With your logic, the Canucks should buy out Kesler as well. The Canucks had a 2-3-2 record when Kesler was in the lineup and was 15-6-4 when he was out. Also, the Canucks should trade Edler for a bag of pucks, the Canucks had a perfect record when he is out with a suspension. :lol:

I have suggested shopping Kesler, but I got lambasted for it. But, Jovo does that not reflect well on the coaching staff, winning this way without their no. 2 centre? Prior to this win streak, it's no wonder Shorthouse tore a strip out of Sekaris and Price for them suggesting the coaching staff was too blame for that bad stretch of hockey.

Hey Jovo, don't be angry with me for being right about Booth, Ballard and Gillis. I know you are a massive Booth and Gillis fan. Just be in awe of my pin pointed accuracy regarding the farce that those 3 are.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:24 am

RoyalDude wrote:Just be in awe of my pin point

YA ya ya....hindsight is always 20/20 dude but if we all placate you and acknowledge your predictive prowess...will you let it rest?
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby vic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Meds wrote:so lets hear what he could have done? Or are you just a whiny little bitch who complains that something is wrong but actually doesn't have the brains or the balls to suggest what could be, or could have been, done differently.

He needs to wait and see how players perform before making any suggestions.

If Morrow lights it up in Pitts, GMMG should have traded for him. If Morrow fails, then it was a good thing Gillis didn't go after him.

There is a reason why guys like Ballard and Booth have great careers on other teams and falter when they reach the Canucks, the coach is a tard who can't work with anyone news. Same reason why guys like Hodgson and Grabner go on to have career years when they finally escape the wrath of AV.

People give AV credit for bringing along guys like The Sedins, Kesler and Edler. But he had no choice with those players, they were his best at the time and he was forced to put them in the lineup and play them. Same reason why someone like Schroeder is now developing under AV - there is no other option.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Aaronp18 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:59 pm

vic wrote:There is a reason why guys like Ballard and Booth have great careers on other teams and falter when they reach the Canucks, the coach is a tard who can't work with anyone news. Same reason why guys like Hodgson and Grabner go on to have career years when they finally escape the wrath of AV.

All this evidence shows is that average players can succeed on shitty teams that aren't strong defensively.

Sure they put up better numbers but is it any coincidence that the teams they played on when they put up career offensive numbers were horrendous and couldn't keep the puck out of their own net?

I could care less about guys having individual accomplishments, we've been there and done that. Time for a Cup and having defensive liabilities play major roles on your team will get you nowhere in the post-season.
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Benjo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:07 pm

From TSN Ice Chips

Ryan Kesler is having a CT scan and Gillis says he has been pain free "for some time" but that's not the case, according to Kesler. - TSN

I thought the Canucks were a fairly tight knit group but things like this leave me scratching my head and makes management look stupid.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Aaronp18 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Benjo wrote:I thought the Canucks were a fairly tight knit group but things like this leave me scratching my head and makes management look stupid.

I'm of the opinion that Kesler likes to mind-fcuk the media just for shits and giggles.

He'll get a call from Gillis now:

GMMG - "Why the hell did you tell TSN you were still in pain?"
Kesler - "I am in pain still, it's painful watching the PP try and score without me!"
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
Benjo wrote:I thought the Canucks were a fairly tight knit group but things like this leave me scratching my head and makes management look stupid.

I'm of the opinion that Kesler likes to mind-fcuk the media just for shits and giggles.

I think MG does enjoy the mind-fuck also.

"We don't really need another Centre, Kesler's pain free and almost back... we'll only make a deal if it makes sense.. there's no urgency." :roll:
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Meds » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm

vic wrote:
Meds wrote:so lets hear what he could have done? Or are you just a whiny little bitch who complains that something is wrong but actually doesn't have the brains or the balls to suggest what could be, or could have been, done differently.

He needs to wait and see how players perform before making any suggestions.

If Morrow lights it up in Pitts, GMMG should have traded for him. If Morrow fails, then it was a good thing Gillis didn't go after him.

There is a reason why guys like Ballard and Booth have great careers on other teams and falter when they reach the Canucks, the coach is a tard who can't work with anyone news. Same reason why guys like Hodgson and Grabner go on to have career years when they finally escape the wrath of AV.

People give AV credit for bringing along guys like The Sedins, Kesler and Edler. But he had no choice with those players, they were his best at the time and he was forced to put them in the lineup and play them. Same reason why someone like Schroeder is now developing under AV - there is no other option.

LOL. You're probably right.

But once again RD decides to just cloud the issue with complaints, calls out mistakes (in this case mine apparently), but offers no suggested solution to what he's crying about. Go figure..... :roll:

He's probably a card carrying union member who votes NDP.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:28 pm

I like how criticizing the GM for making objectively shitty decisions somehow equates to being an NDP voter.

There is almost no logical connection between those two propositions.

Ballard and Booth are $8 million in useless cap space. Literally useless.

Vancouver gave up on guys like Mitchell, Salo, Samuelsson and Erhoff to make that happen. I'd say any combination of those four would be better than that gruesome twosome.

That is legit criticism. You may disagree, but the objective facts points to 8 million in salary and one empty net goal. Booth brought little last season, though showed flashes. Ballard has been a bust since day one in Vancouver.

As for the BS about AV. They guy took the team to Game 7 of SCF. Won the regular season two years in a row. Has had the top PP and PK in the league for long stretches. And has seen the Twins, Kesler, Raymond, Hansen, Elder, Erhoff, Samuelsson, Burrows...etc have career years during his tenure. AV is a good coach. Heck he's won the Adams and been nominated for it twice.

GMMG is a decent GM, but he's done very little to improve the team since 2011 and has given up on some key pieces and replaced them with downgrades or out right duds.

He also signed RL to a boat anchor of a contract.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby vic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Mondi wrote:As for the BS about AV. They guy took the team to Game 7 of SCF. Won the regular season two years in a row. Has had the top PP and PK in the league for long stretches. And has seen the Twins, Kesler, Raymond, Hansen, Elder, Erhoff, Samuelsson, Burrows...etc have career years during his tenure. AV is a good coach. Heck he's won the Adams and been nominated for it twice.

All in the past.

Mondi wrote:He also signed RL to a boat anchor of a contract.

You mean the guy that took the team to Game 7 of the SCF despite the forwards shitting the bed on offense, won the Jennings Trophy, Nominated for the Vezina twice and Hart once, won an Olympic Gold Medal in Roger's Arena Canada Hockey Place, is the winningest goaltender in Canucks history, owns the majority of the Canucks goal tending records, single handily won the Jack Adams for AV his first year here, has NEVER lost in Round 1of the playoffs, was arguably the teams' MVP last year once the team couldn't figure out what to do after the Jan 7 Boston Game, and the guy who played excellent when the first-year starter couldn't get the job done.

That guy, right?

Just like Lou's time in Vancouver is done (by most accounts), so is AV's. Go find a coach who has managed to get his team to the holy grail of hockey after failing to do so in his first 5 years behind the bench. He doesn't exist. Coaches either win it within the first 4 years or don't win it at all.

AV is a good coach, but his time in Vancouver should be done. The players are probably sick and tired of hearing the same thing over and over again - the thing that hasn't won them anything, but maybe, just maybe this year the same old message will be different.

AV's favourites on the team can coast for a shift here and there knowing they'll be back on the ice for their next shift. The guys who have spent regular time in AV's doghouse are squeezing the stick afraid to get creative or make a mistake because they know they'll be right back in it if they do.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Gillis isn't going to flinch and fire AV while his team is in the hunt for another division title. If the Canucks don't go deep, AV is gone and Gillis buys himself another off season to re-tool the team. Fire AV now, and risk the team struggling further down the stretch, and then having nobody but the roster you've assembled to blame for failure. AV stays until the offseason at least.

Frankly, I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked... when you factor in Kelser, Manny, Booth and one of the goalies (between $15.75M and 17.05M worth) not available on a nightly basis. That doesn't even include Ballard hanging out eating twizzlers in the rafters. Suddenly that $69M payroll becomes $52M... roughly Islanders/Oilers territory.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat