Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
CorranHorn
CC Veteran
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by CorranHorn »

Quit feedin the trolls
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 11167
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by rats19 »

CorranHorn wrote:Quit feedin the trolls
He trolls for opinions...
Getting old is not for the young...
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 12058
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by SKYO »

Gillis on Team1040 right now.
Gillis: Listening to lots of offers about lots of different people..and we're in a position where we can listen
Gillis: I have a sense there will be more trades later in the summer than sooner, but I could be wrong on that
Gillis on Jensen: It's his decision to do that (Sweden).We think he has a chance to be a bigtime player. Really pleased with his development
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by the Dogsalmon »

SKYO wrote:Gillis on Team1040 right now.
Gillis: Listening to lots of offers about lots of different people..and we're in a position where we can listen
Gillis: I have a sense there will be more trades later in the summer than sooner, but I could be wrong on that
Gillis on Jensen: It's his decision to do that (Sweden).We think he has a chance to be a bigtime player. Really pleased with his development

GMMG seems to have all the usual canned responses down pat...
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by damonberryman »

The one thing that is certain about our game is the NHL is changing fast and we do need someone who knows contracts. Gillis and LG have done a very good job there. He is also good at getting other players to come to Van and I hope this kid Shultz from Kamploops signs with us.

On another note I wish we had picked up Thrower in the draft. He is the type we need and when asked who he modeled his game on he replied Bieksa. Tough local boy and once again we let him walk like Lucic. Mistake. I would have picked him even if I had to trade up to the top of the second round.

Gillis looks unhealthy. The opposite of AV who may live forever. Does he drink to much? Looks it. Hope not for his sake. He does not handle the media well and Van seems to have a particularly poor crop of reporters. His trade for Booth has not yet paid real dividends but maybe this year he will find something else to believe in and get his head on right.

KB4 is another story. I believe there is real skill and desire there but this may be a case of the wrong coach or setting for him. Too bad because he has an edge and I would like to see him make it.

Our farm has some depth in goal and D with little so far in scoring but that could easily change with Schroeder, Jensen and Rodin. I see no point in dumping Raymond at his contract hit. He is a very good PK. We need him.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by damonberryman »

Part two. Gillis has only 5 picks this draft and that kind of surprised me. I thought we had more in later rounds but I am not comfortable with this development. Clubs are not built on round one. They are built multiple ways but rounds 2-7 are a big part of that. I think this is the year Gillis shows us something more or he runs out of gas as he always looks as if he is on the verge of doing so. Hope for the best. So far his worst move was COHO but that could change. I sure hope so. Also I am not sure Sulzer should have been let go without more of a trial. He sure played well for the Sabres.
User avatar
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:45 am

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by clem »

RoyalDude wrote: .... Ever since Gillis took over this team has done a terrible job at managing their players injuries, ie Hodgson's back, Daniel Sedin, regarding "does he have a concussion or not". The fact that Kesler seems to need surgery every summer and the same can be said for Burrows. A bit weird that Kesler, Burrows and Demitra have had the same shoulder surgery. When was the last time this team was healthy? I'd have to go back to the pre-Gillis era of management to find that cause for some strange reason, this team has issues with managing injuries under the Gillis regime.

Gillis just plain sucks on all levels
Mikael Samuelsson appears to share some of your distaste for Canuck management.
it was tough leaving the Sedins, Edler and the other guys up in Vancouver. I didn’t think very highly of management, so in that way I didn’t mind.
http://canucksarmy.com/2012/7/12/samuel ... management

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9402&start=90#p141466
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12284
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Topper »

I get the feeling there was something lost in the translation.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28144
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:I get the feeling there was something lost in the translation.
Yeah, hard to say, was he miffed at AV not playing him exclusively with the twins? (I always had that impression)

Or is he miffed about being flushed to Florida 2 years after signing as a UFA with Vancouver?

Or does Per offer a better translation and we find out he's not miffed at all?

Who da fock knows at this point.

I believe the Wings were only willing to go as high as $1.5mil three years ago on Samuelsson, so they lost him.

Now they give 35-year-old Sammy a 2-year deal @ $3mil per.

Did Sammy getting more talented or is Detroit getting more desperate? :wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2389
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote:Did Sammy getting more talented or is Detroit getting more desperate?
Evidently the latter, but he could just be a stop-gap measure until next summer and a new CBA where I think Detroit is readying itself to make more significant moves having lost out on the Suter/Parise sweepstakes.

Red Wings just keep getting older... :thumbs:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28144
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Did Sammy getting more talented or is Detroit getting more desperate?
Evidently the latter, but he could just be a stop-gap measure until next summer and a new CBA where I think Detroit is readying itself to make more significant moves having lost out on the Suter/Parise sweepstakes.
Yeaaah, nice to see them lose out for a change isn't it Lance?

I think they're desperate enough to throw a 6-year $36mil contract at Semin right now.

Hell, looking at their capspace they could also throw a 2-year $20mil contract at Shane Doan! :shock:

The Wings don't like to lose out and stranger things have happened......
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 12058
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by SKYO »

^ Well Holland always said once Lidstrom retires, he'd do the same.
It's a wonder why?

Lidstrom basically made the team they were for the last 20 years, hence why MG should over pay for Weber, with Shea I think we can steam roll over teams especially in the playoffs for years to come.

Three game changer players the Canucks never had:

#1 center (check)
#1 goalie (check)
#1 dman (uncheck) We have the assets to facilitate two blockbuster trades this offseason for the Canucks to get good depth and more importantly the last piece to the puzzle in Shea Weber.
MG has to hustle and work harder than ever before to make this happen, and this is indeed possible if he shrewdly/swiftly goes into negotiations to get those pieces to help complete the Canucks squad.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by tantalum »

Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Lets me just say, that if Mike Gillis does not have one player that his regime drafted in the line-up next season...I WILL NEVER WATCH ANOTHER CANUCK GAME AGAIN!!!!
Are you serious?? :lol:
I hope so.

Of course he did have a drafted player on the team lats year who he traded for a guy drafted the year after but that doesn't count in RDs world.

He also had two guys he signed as rookie free agents from college in the lineup last year but of course that can't be counted either.

Luckily Schroeder will likely be in the lineup for the canucks next year but I'm sure that won't count because it is only due to a Kesler injury or something.

Of course Lack might be ready to be a backup for the canucks but given he's not a starter that likely won't count. It certainly won't count if he's good enough but they want him to have a #1 workload in the AHL. Oh wait that won't count anyways because Gillis didn't draft him but rather signed him as a free agent.

etc
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by black ace »

People love to emphasize Gillis' poor drafting but at the end of the day as long as the team stays at the top of the league and adds players like Tanev (undrafted free agent) Lack (undrafted free agent) or guys like Hamhuis and Garrison (UFA) without having to give up anything its essentially the same thing. Assets for nothing but cap space.

Maybe you can say draft picks are cheaper for a few years but with bonuses having to count and guys getting bigger 2nd contracts that isint as much a factor as it used to be imo.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by wafflecombine »

tantalum wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Lets me just say, that if Mike Gillis does not have one player that his regime drafted in the line-up next season...I WILL NEVER WATCH ANOTHER CANUCK GAME AGAIN!!!!
Are you serious?? :lol:
I hope so.

Of course he did have a drafted player on the team lats year who he traded for a guy drafted the year after but that doesn't count in RDs world.

He also had two guys he signed as rookie free agents from college in the lineup last year but of course that can't be counted either.

Luckily Schroeder will likely be in the lineup for the canucks next year but I'm sure that won't count because it is only due to a Kesler injury or something.

Of course Lack might be ready to be a backup for the canucks but given he's not a starter that likely won't count. It certainly won't count if he's good enough but they want him to have a #1 workload in the AHL. Oh wait that won't count anyways because Gillis didn't draft him but rather signed him as a free agent.

etc
This was easily solved back during the playoffs. Schneids is now our #1 goalie. We drafted him, he will be in the lineup next season. Easy rant for RD when the conditions for success were already predetermined.
Post Reply