Who is the best Canuck Forward in franchise history?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you think was simply the best?

Todd Bertuzzi
No votes
Pavel Bure
57%
Thomas Gradin
2%
Trevor Linden
7%
Alexander Mogilny
2%
Markus Naslund
5%
Daniel Sedin
No votes
Henrik Sedin
19%
Stan Smyl
5%
Tony Tanti
2%

Total votes: 42

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Who is the best Canuck Forward in franchise history?

Post by ODB »

Well the summer is here so why not re-hash and argue over who was the best? I added the top point producers but obviously left some significant names off the list. Feel free to add names. If all else fails and nobody agrees with you, remember youtube is your friend! :mrgreen:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Re: Who is the best Canuck Forward in franchise history?

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Cody Hodgson :lol:
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

No contest here.It has to be Bure. Easily the most talented hockey player to ever wear a Canucks jersey.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

If we're talking in terms of pure talent, it's Alexander Mogilny hands down.

In terms of the best forward in Canucks history however, I think it's a tie between Henrik Sedin and Pavel Bure. Bure obviously kills Henrik in the scoring and excitement department, but Henrik is quite possibly one of the greatest playmakers in NHL history. Henrik is pretty good defensively, is durable as hell (he kills Pavel in this department), and has been a more consistent player year in year out.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Henrik.....with Pavel coming in as a close 2nd. Naslund comes in at number 3, followed by Mogilny and then Linden. Bertuzzi gets the #6 spot.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So Henrik is the best forward in Canucks history and Daniel is.. #7, maybe?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I might suggest that the poll is "who is the best after Bure".

We may never have another player with the raw skill and ability to bring people out of their chairs again. Sure the Sedins are good, but they are nowhere near as good or exciting as Bure was.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

dbr wrote:So Henrik is the best forward in Canucks history and Daniel is.. #7, maybe?
Yes. And I know that sounds crazy when you consider the fact that Henrik and Daniel have almost completely identical stats.

Again - just my opinion though. I think Henrik is a significantly more complete player than Daniel, and that without each other, Henrik's game wouldn't drop nearly as much as Daniel's would.

Henrik being a center also makes him more likely to be more valuable as well.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cornuck wrote:I might suggest that the poll is "who is the best after Bure".

We may never have another player with the raw skill and ability to bring people out of their chairs again. Sure the Sedins are good, but they are nowhere near as good or exciting as Bure was.
Bure's biggest statistical output was 110 points back in the 92/93 season...........a time period where offense was infinitely easier to create. (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=662)

Henrik Sedin notched 112 points during the 09/10 season.

On top of that, Henrik has been a far more consistent player than Bure year in year out. (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=34007).

Although injuries hampered Bure obviously, the guy had a number of medicore seasons.

On top of that - Bure brought almost absolutely nothing to the defensive side of the game.

Bure kills Henrik in terms of being exciting, but that doesn't mean he was better.

Henrik Sedin is the greatest Canuck forward of all-time.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

After the 94/95 season, as much as I hate to admit, Bure only cared about scoring goals as a member of the Vancouver Canucks. He didn't bring any leadership, any inspiration, or anything "team" related whatsoever. And trust me - it pains me to say it because Bure is/was my co-favorite player of all-time.

Apparently - Bure received the same criticism in Florida.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I wish we had Bure in his prime for these last two playoffs, we'd be back to back Cup winners! :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

SKYO wrote:I wish we had Bure in his prime for these last two playoffs, we'd be back to back Cup winners! :thumbs:
I wonder if the same can be said about the 1994 version of Trevor Linden or Kirk McLean?
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Does Cam Neely count?
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

It's between Pavel Bure and the Sedins. There's no question that Bure was the more dynamic player, but I gave the nod to Henrik in part due to his durability, longevity, and accomplishments as a member of the Vancouver Canucks. Henrik's Hart and Art Ross wins seal it for Henrik.

The fact that Henrik is captain and has captained the Canucks to the Cup Finals put him in select company among Canuck captains. By the time Henrik's career is over, he may very well end up as the Canucks' all time leader in games played, assists, and points. Henrik just has too many accomplishments to ignore.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

What?! No Patrik Sundström?! :evil:

He did after all hold the franchise record for most points in a season by a centre till Henrik wiped it out, and he still has third place in that stat after Henrik & Henrik. Actually, looking at that stat kind of shows you Henrik Sedin's greatness as a playmaker:

Mosts points in a season for a centre on the Vancouver Canucks:
1) Henrik Sedin..... 09/10 112
2) Henrik Sedin..... 10/11 94
3) Patrik Sundström 83/84 91
4) Thomas Gradin.. 81/82 86
5) Thomas Gradin.. 82/83 86
6) Clifford Ronning. 92/93 85
7) Henrik Sedin..... 08/09 82
8) Henrik Sedin..... 11/12 81
9) Henrik Sedin..... 06/07 81
10) Trevor Linden.. 95/96 80

So, out of the ten best seasons, as measured by points scored for a Canucks centre, Henrik holds five! Including first and second place. :o

His fifth best season was better than Trevor Linden's best. :|

Anyway, jk, would not have voted for Patrik anyway, although I think he is sadly forgotten and needs to be mentioned more.

Looking at raw skill, a strong case can be made for Bure, but looking at contribution for the team, I think it's Henrik Sedin.
He is an allround player, one of the very best playmakers the league has seen, and he is consistent year in year out. He probably still has five good years in him, and by then he'll hold every franchise record not related to fighting or goaltending there is. Well, probably not goals scored in a season. And total career goals scored may belong to his brother. But still.

My vote goes to Henrik.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote:What?! No Patrik Sundström?! :evil:
I would add Thomas Gradin in there as well. Or how about Andre Boudrias?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.