Booth kills baited bear

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's 'Hunting for Dummies'. Setting a bait and sitting in a tree like the clown that he is. Real difficult and exciting.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

It's not endangered, and in parts of North America black bears pose a problem when they become too many and some are pushed to live to close too humans. Hunting is not my cup of tea, but a lot of people truly enjoy it, and some culling needs to get done.

That being said, both baiting and hunting with bow and arrow are illegal practices in Sweden, so here he would probably have to do jail time. Baiting because there's a risk the animals start to realise they can get food from humans and start hanging around garbage cans or your back yard instead of feeding the way they should in the forest, bow and arrow because there is an increased risk the animal doesn't get a nice clean kill. Before you get a hunting license here you need to do a lot of practicing at a shooting range. The idea is to kill the animal with the first shot, which it actually seems Booth did. That part was good. He waited until he had a clean good angle, and it looks like he nailed it. Still. Not my cup of tea.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:I think this shows a tremendous amount of character on Booths part. He wasn't even a part of the team that lost to the Bruins in the finals yet he takes it upon himself to get revenge on the bear community.

If a King of some country gets murdered this summer you'll know who was behind it.,
we must be smokin' the same strain cause i was thinking the same thing...
lol, no show Booth should do a preemptive strike and assassinate both prince Charles & William.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
Just a pee brained ugly reactionary species swimming in the ocean.

Don't be so hard on yourself dude, you probably aren't that ugly... at least that's what your mother says... :lol:
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Oh who cares. He didn't do anything illegal, he enjoys hunting and this is often the method of choice when it comes to bear hunting.

So now that people accept that you have people whining that he made a video/TV show about it. SO what? For goodness sakes the national network that the NHL is on in the States has bow hunting shows every single day. Why wouldn't he document his hunt with video? Geez.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

I have no real issue with it. I don't like the bait idea entirely but I understand why it's used. But why is Booth taking the heat? He hired a guide and service who did it. Booth didn't just go out and throw a steak in a barrel and film it himself.

He also used a bow- yes they've come a long way but many guys use a gun doing the exact same process. In fact in Manitoba there are still trappers and trap lines but no one takes notice of them. This is all on Booth because it was filmed for a show and he is a hockey player and proud hunter. Which one of those three things matters most in outcry? Hockey Player.

I don't even care if he doesn't eat the bear and it sits in his living room as a rug. Better than small children working in carpet factories in Afghanistan making floor coverings that he would pay just as much for as he did the guides.

If baiting bears is so wrong what about cattle, milk production where cows are given hormones and live with swollen udder and bloated teats [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzcISH4h200[/youtube]

Is that any more humane to treat an animal than waiting to shoot it by attracting it to you? Sure one can argue that a hunter should hunt and that food production techniques are justified by the end results and that 'nothing is killed'. I don't buy it. But for all the folks out there who want wings on Saturday night during the game are you prepared to slaughter 15 chickens to get them?

Gluttony is just as much of a sin as killing a bear by baiting it when you consider 15 birds had to live in shit conditions in their own faeces and filth to make sure we can gorge ourselves.

I just think too many people are trying to pin a crime on the hunter like he sat out waiting for a human. Too bad we can't apply that kind of standard to the way we treat all animals.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Mondi wrote:One thing is for sure however, at 4+ million per season, Booth did not NEED to kill this bear.
Killing a bear, getting a monkey off your back. It's all the same.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

On a lighter note,I once played a video game in the nineties,when hunting video games were popular, only this particular game was reversed. The player was a deer tracking humans,it was hilarious. I spent the game looking for clues such as beer cans,penthouse magazines, cigar butts and such.Too funny.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

okcanuck wrote:On a lighter note,I once played a video game in the nineties,when hunting video games were popular, only this particular game was reversed. The player was a deer tracking humans,it was hilarious. I spent the game looking for clues such as beer cans,penthouse magazines, cigar butts and such.Too funny.
That deer damn well better have intended on eating the humans he killed. :evil:
2011..... the one that got away.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mondi wrote:mondi's rant
Would it change your opinion if the bear was called Otis Goldberg? (BTW, all black bears are called Otis)

Booth had a license. As a non resident hunter he was on a guided hunt. The hunt was filmed for a new TV show on a hunting and fishing cable channel.

How is this different than Willie Mitchell heading back home in the summer, throwing some bait on his hook and a line in the water to go after a salmon?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Topper wrote:
Mondi wrote:mondi's rant
How is this different than Willie Mitchell heading back home in the summer, throwing some bait on his hook and a line in the water to go after a salmon?
Exactly, there is no difference.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Topper wrote:How is this different than Willie Mitchell heading back home in the summer, throwing some bait on his hook
and a line in the water to go after a salmon?
WTF!? Mitchell killed a salmon? :shock:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Vpete wrote:
If baiting bears is so wrong what about cattle, milk production where cows are given hormones and live with swollen udder and bloated teats [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzcISH4h200[/youtube]
No, and the use of hormones on livestock is banned throughout the EU. That is also why there is restrictions on the import of North American meat to Europe. If hormones are illegal here, it wouldn't make sense to allow the import of hormone treated meat either.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mondi wrote: As for the analogy of people eating meat and wearing leather? It breaks down immediately unless Booth caught this animal for subsistence purposes.

Hunting is a lot more humane then typical food production practices, and on a guided tour the meat would almost always be eaten. If the hunter doesn't want it the guide will take it and sell it (probably for a ton of money).

And yeah put me in the "who cares" category.

It's no different. I'm fine with it insofar as it was lawful.

But I can still disagree with hunting/fishing for sport as a hobby.

And even with license, it does not make hunting your right. Hunting, like driving, is a privilege granted by the state

So you're either a vegan or a hypocrite then (smile)
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Per wrote:
Vpete wrote:
No, and the use of hormones on livestock is banned throughout the EU. That is also why there is restrictions on the import of North American meat to Europe. If hormones are illegal here, it wouldn't make sense to allow the import of hormone treated meat either.
Per I'm missing something here...

Anyhow, I'm waiting for the Willie Mitchell David Booth Charity Surf n' turf Fishing Hunting Classic with title sponsor being Cabellas!
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.