Page 15 of 40

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:12 am
by coco_canuck
ClamRussel wrote: You're forgetting the key part of hunting ....the "hunt". Going out to the wilderness and searching for your own. Thats hunting. What Booth did is pathetic. Its not a "man's" sport, its rich men feeding their egos but can't be bothered getting cold, wet & possibly failing.
Hunting practices evolve, just like anything else.

Should he go out with a sharpened stick and use it as a spear to be true to the vague notion of "searching for your own?"

The first rule of hunting is safety, and anyone who has ever actually gone hunting knows this.
ClamRussel wrote: The after photos are disrespectful at best.
So, is taking a picture of your steak or chicken for dinner also disrespectful?

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:30 am
by rats19
For the record...I have never Shot a bear and have no desire to..I also woukdnt bait if I decided to..just go to the home of. Willie Mitchell..spot and stock book bruins...

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:48 am
by ukcanuck
Did anyone make a joke about shooting bruins two playoffs ago? Seems like there could be a good quip there...

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:33 am
by ClamRussel
coco_canuck wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: You're forgetting the key part of hunting ....the "hunt". Going out to the wilderness and searching for your own. Thats hunting. What Booth did is pathetic. Its not a "man's" sport, its rich men feeding their egos but can't be bothered getting cold, wet & possibly failing.
Hunting practices evolve, just like anything else.

Should he go out with a sharpened stick and use it as a spear to be true to the vague notion of "searching for your own?"

The first rule of hunting is safety, and anyone who has ever actually gone hunting knows this.
Spare me the strawman argument. And here I thought you were the logical one on this board now.
coco_canuck wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: The after photos are disrespectful at best.
So, is taking a picture of your steak or chicken for dinner also disrespectful?
Not if you were sitting in a tree when you took that baited cow or chicken down w/ the kill shot.

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:08 pm
by coco_canuck
ClamRussel wrote: Spare me the strawman argument. And here I thought you were the logical one on this board now.
Oh come on Clam, where is the strawman?

I said your notion of "searching for your own" and a more noble way of hunting is vague, and I asked a question in that vein.

That's no strawman my friend.
ClamRussel wrote: Not if you were sitting in a tree when you took that baited cow or chicken down w/ the kill shot.
Right, because eating meat from animal farms made for slaughter is much better.

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 pm
by RoyalDude
coco_canuck wrote:
The first rule of hunting is safety, and anyone who has ever actually gone hunting knows this.
Well holy shit, really? I did not know that. Thanks Dad

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:18 pm
by RoyalDude
coco_canuck wrote:
So, is taking a picture of your steak or chicken for dinner also disrespectful?
Stay within the content of the debate with some respectability and lose the condescending tone, Father.

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:21 pm
by RoyalDude
It''s basically this, Coco. We all know that meat comes from animals, some cute and cuddly, some not so cute and cuddly, in order for humans to get meat some animal has to get killed, I would think that Clam is intelligent enough to know this and actually does not mind this. What we are talking about here is how one dufus named Booth went about game hunting and how absolutely cheesey his process of seeking out a bear really was. Quite simple, really.

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:32 pm
by coco_canuck
Once again RD, you show your laughable lack of intelligence.

The unstated implication of the safety comment ties into this whole baiting thing.

It's much safer to hunt a bear by baiting, in a province where that is legal, than a more "noble" way.

If that's still too hard for you to grasp...then I'm sorry buddy, but good try, good effort.

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:35 pm
by coco_canuck
RoyalDude wrote: Stay within the content of the debate with some respectability and lose the condescending tone, Father.
RD, telling ME, about respectability and a condescending tone?

Bawhaha

Man, now that's rich.

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:07 pm
by ClamRussel
coco_canuck wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Not if you were sitting in a tree when you took that baited cow or chicken down w/ the kill shot.
Right, because eating meat from animal farms made for slaughter is much better.
I never said that. Classic case of strawman right there.

Baiting bears is bad.....so slaughter houses are good?

I qualified earlier I wasn't talking about hunting, it was baiting specifically.

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:26 pm
by Madcombinepilot
all this talk of dead animals is making me hungry.

dead animals are tasty.

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:31 pm
by coco_canuck
ClamRussel wrote: I never said that. Classic case of strawman right there.
duh, you said taking a picture of a kill is wrong, so I asked if taking a picture of prepared meat from another form of legal animal killing is also wrong.

Baiting is legal in certain areas, and where it is legal, the distinction of what is right or wrong in terms of taking photographs of dead animals, be they raw, cooked, or being cleaned, is minimal, and that's the point of my comment.

That's not a strawman Clam, but a very valid question unless you're a vegan who is completely against the killing of animals for food, sport, fun etc.

Pay attention to the unstated implications.

Also, if you, or others want arguments without logical fallacies, maybe you shouldn't use them yourselves.

An example is this:
I maintain firmly that baiting is the act of a narcissistic coward with too much time & money.

Its not a "man's" sport, its rich men feeding their egos but can't be bothered getting cold, wet & possibly failing.
Those are ad hominem attacks my friend.

You fail to mention that Booth has been an avid hunter since he was young. He has stated on a few occasions that he grew up in a hunting environment, and it has cultural and normative significance to him as an individual.

So with that, how is it fair to label him "a narcissistic coward with too much time & money" because he conforms to a perfectly legal hunting practise?

You've leapt, and you made a damning assumption based on your personal belief on an issue.

That's no way to form a cogent argument.

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:07 pm
by Carlyee
RoyalDude wrote:Nobody has an issue with killing bears, hell I'd kill love to kill the damn bear that has raided our garbage can all summer it is just the way Booth went about it, the whole bear baiting thing while parked way up high in a tree in camouflage, how fucking cheesey is that and that dumb ass look on his face while he was doing it. Where is the sport in that, real fucking challenging way to hunt I tell ya. I have a close friend who hunts black bears all the time, legally and they certainly do not go about it the cheesey way Booth does.
They sit in a truck on the edge of an oatfield?

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:22 pm
by Carlyee
For Clam

Image

Bleached bear skull. can you see the oil painting in the background? It is a knock off Van Gogh.

If you see a deer out in a wheat field eating wheat is it ok to shoot it (legality presumed)? If yes then your ignorant rant about bating bears holds no water. If no then there is really no talking sensibly to you is there?