Booth kills baited bear

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Fred » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Reduce peoples freedom, get the f**k outta here ( as george Carlin would say ). I don't lie awake at night worried about any need to have a gun. In my entire life I've never needed one .... and more than that I don't even know any one that needed one ...and that's a lot of people. It's an illusion and the big lobby groups and manufacturers play on it ad nausea. People are sold a pup, it's your right .... one of the rights I like is not to have to fear some idiot who thinks he's Al Capone coming around the corner blasting by standers and school children. I don't need a gun, few people if any need a gun.

The USA has 0.5% of the worlds population and 50% of all the guns ...no pun intended but isn't that a bit of overkill

I believe that most of the gang bangers up here get their guns from the USA, now that worries me. Even we would be safer without having a neighbour like the USA. If people think they need a gun maybe that in and of it`s self warrants them to be characterized mentally defective and excluded from owing a gun :lol:
cheers

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7594
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Cornuck » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Fred wrote:Reduce peoples freedom, get the f**k outta here ( as george Carlin would say ). I don't lie awake at night worried about any need to have a gun. In my entire life I've never needed one .... and more than that I don't even know any one that needed one ...and that's a lot of people. It's an illusion and the big lobby groups and manufacturers play on it ad nausea. People are sold a pup, it's your right .... one of the rights I like is not to have to fear some idiot who thinks he's Al Capone coming around the corner blasting by standers and school children. I don't need a gun, few people if any need a gun.
So because you don't want a gun, then nobody should have one? Too late for that. Ban all gun sales today? Won't make a difference. People have them, always will.

Suppose that you live in a small town like I do. The nearest police is 15-45 minutes away (hell, even a big city, the cops could take that long). They won't help one bit if someone breaks in to my home. Does make me feel safer to know where the shotgun is? Yep. You want to take that away? Get the fuck outta here.
2018-19 - The Road to 82

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Fred » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Fred wrote:Reduce peoples freedom, get the f**k outta here ( as george Carlin would say ). I don't lie awake at night worried about any need to have a gun. In my entire life I've never needed one .... and more than that I don't even know any one that needed one ...and that's a lot of people. It's an illusion and the big lobby groups and manufacturers play on it ad nausea. People are sold a pup, it's your right .... one of the rights I like is not to have to fear some idiot who thinks he's Al Capone coming around the corner blasting by standers and school children. I don't need a gun, few people if any need a gun.
So because you don't want a gun, then nobody should have one? Too late for that. Ban all gun sales today? Won't make a difference. People have them, always will.

Suppose that you live in a small town like I do. The nearest police is 15-45 minutes away (hell, even a big city, the cops could take that long). They won't help one bit if someone breaks in to my home. Does make me feel safer to know where the shotgun is? Yep. You want to take that away? Get the fuck outta here.

Cornuck the word your position hangs on is .... IF .... Well how about this, if pigs could fly we all better ware bigger hats :D This small town of your must be a haven for gun violence. I live in Vcr the capital of west coast drug imports and I can tell you as I've said ad nausea I have no need for a gun or friends neighbours what ever. Even in the Vcr East end gun violence is so so small. How many outrageous gun crimes happen in your small town to make you so fearful ? I have friends in St L who don't have guns and they seem to manage. I'm confident they don't lie and worry every night. Seems to me the entire premise is based on the boogey man. I feel bad for those that have psyched themselves out into this belief they MUST have a gun to be safe. Irrantional fear. I have only once had need to call the RCMP for a noisy house party and they took 30 minutes to arrive. No one was killed no one went nuts and no firearms were discharged. If it's as bad as you THINK your small town is, (A) have you had first hand knowledge of illegal gun play (B) if you have maybe it's time to take your family to a more family oriented country rather than believe you need an in house SWAT team at your disposal. (C) think of the number of accidents Usually to children with guns in a house.

I know the case of a 2 little girls playing with Dads shot gun blew the side of one of their faces off and another case when a guy cleaning his gun blew off his own arm now he only has one arm.
cheers

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8420
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by rats19 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:48 pm

I don't trust a government that has zero deterent..please don't use votes as a comeback....north America has the largest armed force on earth. Civilian snipers outshoot military at long range shoots all the time.


Nobody here likes to see these massacres Fred.
You are who you hang with.....

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Fred » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:40 pm

rats19 wrote:I don't trust a government that has zero deterent..please don't use votes as a comeback....north America has the largest armed force on earth. Civilian snipers outshoot military at long range shoots all the time.


Nobody here likes to see these massacres Fred.

Absolutely correct no one likes these massacres, but the question is how much are folks willing to fore go to improve a terrible series of events. How much will the guy in the street is willing to put the kids before their own selfish needs. The next massacre will people feel personal guilt in being part of the problem.

The NRA suggesting more police with more guns to protect schools ...nuts .... some schools have as many as 10-12 buildings, maybe more, plus football fields, gyms, residences, how many police would needed on campus and they have to be armed at least equal to the idiots that might enter the school, park, theatres, supermarket. Very soon the security will be larger than the armed services .....where does the more guns are needed people end. Will restaurants need armed guards, just imagine going out with your wife or family to a armory rather than a restaurant. If automatic rifles, which were intended for war zones are permitted why not as I've said Flame throwers, bazookas. People are just not rational about their fears. This isn't about rights, it's about doing the right thing. :scowl:
cheers

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7594
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Cornuck » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Yep. It's all about the "if", isn't it? Do I worry about violence where I live? No, not at all. But I do have a high profile home that 'could' draw attention to the wrong person. I'd rather have a deterrant than not. (My dogs deter most sober people)

I hope that I never need to point it at someone in my home, and hope you don't ever wish you had one in your home.

I'm not going to change your mind, Fred. It's not a debate, it's a discussion.
2018-19 - The Road to 82

User avatar
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am
Location: Port Alberni

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by okcanuck » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Fred wrote:Reduce peoples freedom, get the f**k outta here ( as george Carlin would say ). I don't lie awake at night worried about any need to have a gun. In my entire life I've never needed one .... and more than that I don't even know any one that needed one ...and that's a lot of people. It's an illusion and the big lobby groups and manufacturers play on it ad nausea. People are sold a pup, it's your right .... one of the rights I like is not to have to fear some idiot who thinks he's Al Capone coming around the corner blasting by standers and school children. I don't need a gun, few people if any need a gun.
So because you don't want a gun, then nobody should have one? Too late for that. Ban all gun sales today? Won't make a difference. People have them, always will.

Suppose that you live in a small town like I do. The nearest police is 15-4The shotgun can be used 5 minutes away (hell, even a big city, the cops could take that long). They won't help one bit if someone breaks in to my home. Does make me feel safer to know where the shotgun is? Yep. You want to take that away? Get the fuck outta here.

Theres nothing wrong with having a shotgun or a 30-30 in the house for protection. The shotgun can used for bird-hunting the 30-30 used to hunt deer or moose. I think Fred is talking about these assault rifles which can fire 6 rounds per second. You don't need one for protection and you certainly wouldn't use one for hunting unless you really like hamburger.

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7594
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Cornuck » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:13 pm

I get the impression that Fred is talking abou all guns in home. We use our gun for skeet shooting, btw.
2018-19 - The Road to 82

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9892
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Topper » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:42 pm

okcanuck wrote:I think Fred is talking about these assault rifles which can fire 6 rounds per second.
Unless you can pull a trigger six times a second, those guns are illegal in Canada and only legal under extremely strict control in the US. They have also not been used in any of the recent mass murders.

No matter what the Bushmaster 223 looks like, it still only fires one projectile each time the trigger is pulled.

Educate yourselves a little folks.

By a 30-30, I believe you are talking about a lever action rifle. How fast do you think you can cycle a round in that? Chamber it in a more popular handgun round, say .44 mag and a 9 round magazine. I think my niece uses my old 30-30 for deer hunting.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am
Location: Port Alberni

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by okcanuck » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Topper wrote:
okcanuck wrote:I think Fred is talking about these assault rifles which can fire 6 rounds per second.
Unless you can pull a trigger six times a second, those guns are illegal in Canada and only legal under extremely strict control in the US. They have also not been used in any of the recent mass murders.

No matter what the Bushmaster 223 looks like, it still only fires one projectile each time the trigger is pulled.

Educate yourselves a little folks.

By a 30-30, I believe you are talking about a lever action rifle. How fast do you think you can cycle a round in that? Chamber it in a more popular handgun round, say .44 mag and a 9 round magazine. I think my niece uses my old 30-30 for deer hunting.
Showing my age here. Last time I went hunting was with a 30_30 lever action. So.....can a 30 30 stop an intruder in your house?

User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by the Dogsalmon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:50 pm

okcanuck wrote:
Topper wrote:
okcanuck wrote:I think Fred is talking about these assault rifles which can fire 6 rounds per second.
Unless you can pull a trigger six times a second, those guns are illegal in Canada and only legal under extremely strict control in the US. They have also not been used in any of the recent mass murders.

No matter what the Bushmaster 223 looks like, it still only fires one projectile each time the trigger is pulled.

Educate yourselves a little folks.

By a 30-30, I believe you are talking about a lever action rifle. How fast do you think you can cycle a round in that? Chamber it in a more popular handgun round, say .44 mag and a 9 round magazine. I think my niece uses my old 30-30 for deer hunting.
Showing my age here. Last time I went hunting was with a 30_30 lever action. So.....can a 30 30 stop an intruder in your house?


duh...

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8420
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by rats19 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:02 pm

It's a 30 calibre good to about 150yds about 1800fps. Blow a nice hole in ya it would. Good for walking christmas tree sized saplings with openings of short distances...open sites
You are who you hang with.....

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9892
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Topper » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:37 pm

May have killed more wagon burners than any other gun in the west. No wonder you like it.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am
Location: Port Alberni

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by okcanuck » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Unless you can pull a trigger six times a second, those guns are illegal in Canada and only legal under extremely strict control in the US. They have also not been used in any of the recent mass murders.

No matter what the Bushmaster 223 looks like, it still only fires one projectile each time the trigger is pulled.

Educate yourselves a little folks.

By a 30-30, I believe you are talking about a lever action rifle. How fast do you think you can cycle a round in that? Chamber it in a more popular handgun round, say .44 mag and a 9 round magazine. I think my niece uses my old 30-30 for deer hunting.[/quote]

Showing my age here. Last time I went hunting was with a 30_30 lever action. So.....can a 30 30 stop an intruder in your house?[/quote]



duh...[/quote]


So why do you need a bushmaster 223 to defend yourself?

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Fred » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:55 pm

What Fred is talking about is this. There's a lot of people talk about threats, tyrants, what ever but no one so far can tell me that they've actually experienced any such threats ...... it's like a kids bogey man. Think if some one comes to your door and threatens you...but no one has !!! In the mean time 20 kids are dead because some one's imagination got carried away with the threat and loaded up with guns to ward of the Evil Empire or the imagined threats. When are people in the USA going to follow the rest of the world and say ...hey guess what there is no bogeyman we don't need a house full of guns. Guns are a huge industry that play on peoples fears and insecurities, they back it up with a huge and expensive lobbyists. Save your money put it in a pension plan ... because a pension is some thing you're deffinatley going to need :lol: and who knows maybe save a childs life
cheers

Post Reply