Booth kills baited bear

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: The Riverview pick up squad?
:lol:

Would definitely cut down on their posting having to type with their nose.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

donlever wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
donlever wrote: Fukin bears.
You're on the twitter twat right?

Send @D_Booth7 a message.

"Bear hunting in N.Van if you're interested? #nobaitrequired"

Nah, Royaldude is working in the area on some reno.

Gotsto keep the peace in the hood.
Leves, my man, does that house look like a reno? It was a new build. Come on, man.

And BTW, we live in bear alley in Lynn Valley. Saw one in the front yard the other night, they are becoming the new 'rats'. But 99% of the problem are the morons who don't know how to manage their garbage. It's so bad around here, the bears, that the folks in our neighborhood are told to freeze their food scraps like meat until garbage day. I'm actually for a little downsizing of the local bear community as we have seen their population and urbanization go through the roof over the last few years. One of these days, some kid is gonna bump into a bear on the property and bears don't like to be surprised, especially momma bears.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

LMAO .............I lobbed two turkey carcasses into my neighbours place a week after Easter. I had a housefull and cooked two 20 pound birds, but I missed garbage day. Not really a big deal since this old hag has two acres and regualrly feeds bears and racoons byt knocking the blackberries and rasberries off her bushes. . I went to work a couple weeks ago and there is mama bear and a cub gorging themselves on turkey .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm actually for a little downsizing of the local bear community as we have seen their population and urbanization go through the roof over the last few years. One of these days, some kid is gonna bump into a bear on the property and bears don't like to be surprised, especially momma bears.
Same problem here except it is with deer. Hooves are sharp. Had a fawn born against the wall of our house last year. We have to watch our little guy when he goes out the front door. Take a good look around the corner of the house to see if there are deer lying there.

Walk over to the post office to check the mail box today and saw an old guy feeding carrots to three deer in his yard. I raised my arms in mock rifle aim, shouted BOOM, BOOM, BOOM as I moved my aim from one deer to the next. look of horror on the old guy's face as I wandered on down the road.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Don't have much problem with bears where I am, but deer and elk is another story. Have to wrap my cedar trees every fall or they look like lollipops come spring. If the elk get into a hay shed they can destroy tons of hay in a few days. They only go for the best stuff and they pull stacks down walk, piss and shit on it. They had a "special opening" for elk in January this year and there was a bunch of clowns in here from the Okanagan that won the draws. They ran a 40 head herd of elk about 2 miles and we heard about 15 shots. The herd ended up 100 yards from my house. I took a drive to see WTF was going on and find 2 guys on my neighbours land all decked out with camo, binocs, gators and guns. All that shooting and 2 animals down. I have no idea where all the stray lead went. Judging by the gear they had the meat was going to cost them about $50/lb! Fucking goofs.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mondi wrote: Side note: I also think there is something to be said about killing fish or chickens versus apex mammals. Whether one likes it or not there are arguments about differences between animals. I mean let's face it, an ant or a mouse is every bit as much of animal as a bear, chicken or humpback whale. People throw the term hypocrite around far too often and far too easily, as if having two (ostensibly) contrasting opinions completely undermines one's position. There are degrees of difference in this world. I believe many would argue that a bear is substantially different than a salmon.
Is a bear substantially different then a Cow or a Pig ?

And yest it is COMPLETELY hypocritical to wag your finger at hunters while eating a bacon and egg breakfast and washing it down with a big glass of milk.

If you had any clue how deplorable some of the food production practices were in north america you would never, ever feel sorry for the bear that David Booth killed quickly in that video.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote: And BTW, we live in bear alley in Lynn Valley. Saw one in the front yard the other night, they are becoming the new 'rats'. But 99% of the problem are the morons who don't know how to manage their garbage. It's so bad around here, the bears, that the folks in our neighborhood are told to freeze their food scraps like meat until garbage day. I'm actually for a little downsizing of the local bear community as we have seen their population and urbanization go through the roof over the last few years. One of these days, some kid is gonna bump into a bear on the property and bears don't like to be surprised, especially momma bears.

Ditto on Port Moody,

Anmore and Heritage mountain are both full of Bears and Deer to the point where having a back yard is getting kind of pointless. The Bears eat your garbage and scare the crap out of everyone. The Deer wreck your garden and shit kick your dog.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Mondi wrote: Side note: I also think there is something to be said about killing fish or chickens versus apex mammals. Whether one likes it or not there are arguments about differences between animals. I mean let's face it, an ant or a mouse is every bit as much of animal as a bear, chicken or humpback whale. People throw the term hypocrite around far too often and far too easily, as if having two (ostensibly) contrasting opinions completely undermines one's position. There are degrees of difference in this world. I believe many would argue that a bear is substantially different than a salmon.
Is a bear substantially different then a Cow or a Pig ?

And yest it is COMPLETELY hypocritical to wag your finger at hunters while eating a bacon and egg breakfast and washing it down with a big glass of milk.

If you had any clue how deplorable some of the food production practices were in north america you would never, ever feel sorry for the bear that David Booth killed quickly in that video.

How quickly was it killed? What I recall from the video,which has been removed,was the arrow going in, the bear stumbling and running away, the guide spotting the blood and then the bear. Do you know how much the bear suffered from the moment the arrow went in to its death, a length of time that is not known to us,? How far did the bear run before the actual kill.
Listen, I have no problem with hunting bear? I have a real problem however with the method of baiting and then hiding in a tree,which, by the way, is illegal in B.C. and 18 states. Booth had to do this hunt in Alberta where it is legal.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

We have bear problem in our area. The thing that frosts me is the responability is always down loaded on the public. If municpalities collected garbage at better times of the day when you're not putting it by the road side in the early hours and they offered discounted ( cost only ) bear proof garbage cans it would go a long way. But now they want you to get another freezer to FREEZE you garbage in so the smell is lessened, Joe public always ends up picking up the tab :twisted: It would also help if they kept the wild berry bushes on their property under control
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mondi wrote: Cows have been domesticated animals for centuries.

So what?

Are you trying to argue that because we have killed a lot more Cows and Pigs over a longer period of time that it's OK to cause them suffering for basically their entire existence?

It's OK to treat livestock that absolute garbage from their moment they come into existence to the day it hit's your plate, then scream bloody murder when a hunter shoots a bear (an animal that we actually need to reduce the population of).

It's so weird to watch people try and rationalize things from their soap box.

For the record I eat meat happily, and while I don't hunt myself but I actually think that properly regulated hunting is a great idea. Good for the economy, good for the environment, and "game" meats tend to be a healthy alternative to the "meat products" we see coming out of a lot of the big feedlots.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hard to argue with your logic Pot - odd that we needed 4 pages (isn't a long offseason great!?).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

This thread reminds me of one my favourite posts in the old CC joke thread...

So, a couple of seals walk into a club.....
2011..... the one that got away.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Cornuck wrote:Hard to argue with your logic Pot - odd that we needed 4 pages (isn't a long offseason great!?).
Do you condone Booth's hunting methods? I think baiting is cowardly. No problem here with real hunting.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

okcanuck wrote: Do you condone Booth's hunting methods? I think baiting is cowardly. No problem here with real hunting.
Yes, it's cheating, but it's not the biggest concern in my life. I'd like to see a clean kill, but you're not going to get that with an arrow into a bear whether you bait or not? Should I 'condone' it over the methods used to kill the cows that end up on my plate? How about planting a nice field of alfalfa to attract deer, and then shooting them? Should I condone that?

The bottom line is that I hate to see animals suffer. But I also really like rib eye steak and slabs of ribs. Until they learn to grow that stuff in a lab, I'll continue to be a hypocrite, ok?

I'm guessing that this argument started when the cavemen chased a mammoth into a pit and slowly killed it.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

okcanuck wrote: How quickly was it killed? What I recall from the video,which has been removed,was the arrow going in, the bear stumbling and running away, the guide spotting the blood and then the bear.
Not that much different than when a bear is shot with a rifle.
okcanuck wrote: Listen, I have no problem with hunting bear? I have a real problem however with the method of baiting and then hiding in a tree,which, by the way, is illegal in B.C. and 18 states. Booth had to do this hunt in Alberta where it is legal.
The advantages of bait and blind are that it offers a clean kill. A bow hunter has only a tiny spot on the to execute a clean kill and hunting from a blind with bait is the best practice. Booth should be proud of his shooting to beable to bring down a bear, and especially one that size, with a bow. Is it any different that duck hunters with blinds, decoys and duck calls or rifle game hunters with blinds,and pheromone scented decoys of an Elks pussy.

Much of the legality stems from the mix in populations of black and grizzly bears as well as the black bear population. Alberta only allows this hunting in certain areas. It is not widespread.

The more important issue is that of large game bow hunting in general. The chance of an errant shot, when the kill spot is so small, is quite high. Bait and blind hunting greatly increases the chance of a clean kill but it does not eliminate the fact that there are wounded animals in the bush due to a missed bow shot.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.