Booth kills baited bear

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Fred »

Topper wrote:
okcanuck wrote:No surprises for me watching that so-called press conference by the NRA yesterday. First of all at least have some balls and let the press ask questions about their ridiculous solution to the problem. Secondly he didn't even mention assault rifles. I have a solution for the NRA, just shut the fuck up and dont push your paranoid ideas onto the american public. Nobody will ever convince me that those type of weapons are needed for protection.
Spot the assault riffle.

Because they are both the same gun.

But one is black and is therefore evil.
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The answer is obvious they're both evil and intended to kill, in fact designed to kill people. Why not try paper airplanes for a hobby. how about a couple of flame throwers, you know you can just barbecue people rather than kill them or how about an anti tank gun you could take out your entire neighbours house, or an atom bomb and solve the housing problem in Vcr. :lol: :lol: why not if you're going to do it, heck do it right
cheers
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote:
okcanuck wrote:No surprises for me watching that so-called press conference by the NRA yesterday. First of all at least have some balls and let the press ask questions about their ridiculous solution to the problem. Secondly he didn't even mention assault rifles. I have a solution for the NRA, just shut the fuck up and dont push your paranoid ideas onto the american public. Nobody will ever convince me that those type of weapons are needed for protection.
Guess its a good thing you aren't in charge then, I have never needed a gun and don't really see the need for one personally but there is NO WAY I would ever willingly give up the right to own one...that's if I had that right obviously.

The bottom line OK, "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed" has almost nothing to do with what happened at Sandy Hook.

You want to prevent such things from happening stop voting for politicians that refuse to spend money in health care.

Start caring about the Health of you fellow man more and less about non sequiturs...

Listen UK where in my post did I say I wanted to get rid of the right to bear arms? Not a fucking chance. I am against the right to bear weapons that are clearly not needed to protect yourself. Do you think we should be able to own missle launchers or machine guns and on and on. Something has to be done and it might as well be now. As a matter of fact maybe there should be a vote by the american people on whether they think they should have the right to own such weapons. Clearly the NRA's solution is ridiculous.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

okcanuck wrote: Do you think we should be able to own missle launchers or machine guns and on and on. Something has to be done and it might as well be now. As a matter of fact maybe there should be a vote by the american people on whether they think they should have the right to own such weapons. Clearly the NRA's solution is ridiculous.
We can't, and for the most part neither can all but a very few wealthy Americans.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:
Topper wrote:Canada had a knee jerk reaction to Ecole Polytechnique. The long gun registry.

That turned out well.
Well, I guess it must have. Canada has 0.51 homocides with gun per 100.000 inhabitants, compared to the 2.97 in the USA. Thus the number of homicides by gun per capita is almost six times higher south of the border. :?

Sweden is pretty similar to Canada, with a 0.41 rate.

Gun ownership is 88.8 guns/100 people in the USA, 30.8 in Canada and 31.6 in Sweden.

As a comparisson, gun ownership is 6.2 guns/100 peope in England & Wales, and they have 0.07 homicides by gun per 100.000 people..... :o

That must truly be a horrible place to live, eh? :roll:

And in all fairness, total homicide rates per 100.000 people, regardless of murder weapon:

USA 4.2
Canada 1.6
UK 1.2
Sweden 1.0

So, doing the maths, non-gun homicide rates would be roughly 1.2 for the US, 1.1 for the UK and Canada and 0.6 for Sweden.
Kind of looks like gun homicides are just added on top of other homicides that look to be roughly the same in all four countries (slightly lower in Sweden, but that could be an effect of a smaller population, few big cities, etc). :|

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... world-list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... icide_rate
"Lies, damn lies, and statistics."

I dunno Per this list of death rate per country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so ... death_rate

... tells me the death rate of Americans is LESS than that of Swedes!

So what does it all mean??

Are Swedes falling down open manhole shafts?

Are Swedes killing off other Swedes with hard-to-detect poisons (murders deemed "natural causes")?

Are incompetent Swedish cops finding bodies beaten to death with rocks and ruling these deaths "suicide"?

Are a high percentage of Swedes being struck dead by God?

I dunno, fuckin stats eh Per? :drink:

Personally I'd rather be shot to death than beaten to death with a rock but that's for another thread....

Just to add a little perspective.

http://www2.macleans.ca/tag/homicide/
Murders per 100,000 population:

1. Honduras 82.1

2. El Salvador 66

3. Ivory Coast 56.9

4. Jamaica 52.1

5. Venezuela 49

6. Belize 41.7

7. Guatemala 41.4

8. St. Kitts and Nevis 38.2

9. Zambia 38

10. Uganda 36.3

103. United States of America 5

150. Canada 1.8
No wonder Topper has seen so much violence in his day!
____
Try to focus on someday.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Topper wrote:
okcanuck wrote: Do you think we should be able to own missle launchers or machine guns and on and on. Something has to be done and it might as well be now. As a matter of fact maybe there should be a vote by the american people on whether they think they should have the right to own such weapons. Clearly the NRA's solution is ridiculous.
We can't, and for the most part neither can all but a very few wealthy Americans.
By such weapons I mean the kind used in this last massacre which you can buy at wallmart.
Fifty Fifty
CC Rookie

Post by Fifty Fifty »

Strangelove wrote:
Per wrote:
Topper wrote:Canada had a knee jerk reaction to Ecole Polytechnique. The long gun registry.

That turned out well.
Well, I guess it must have. Canada has 0.51 homocides with gun per 100.000 inhabitants, compared to the 2.97 in the USA. Thus the number of homicides by gun per capita is almost six times higher south of the border. :?

Sweden is pretty similar to Canada, with a 0.41 rate.

Gun ownership is 88.8 guns/100 people in the USA, 30.8 in Canada and 31.6 in Sweden.

As a comparisson, gun ownership is 6.2 guns/100 peope in England & Wales, and they have 0.07 homicides by gun per 100.000 people..... :o

That must truly be a horrible place to live, eh? :roll:

And in all fairness, total homicide rates per 100.000 people, regardless of murder weapon:

USA 4.2
Canada 1.6
UK 1.2
Sweden 1.0

So, doing the maths, non-gun homicide rates would be roughly 1.2 for the US, 1.1 for the UK and Canada and 0.6 for Sweden.
Kind of looks like gun homicides are just added on top of other homicides that look to be roughly the same in all four countries (slightly lower in Sweden, but that could be an effect of a smaller population, few big cities, etc). :|

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... world-list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... icide_rate
"Lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Are Swedes killing off other Swedes with hard-to-detect poisons (murders deemed "natural causes")?

Are incompetent Swedish cops finding bodies beaten to death with rocks and ruling these deaths "suicide"?

Personally I'd rather be shot to death than beaten to death with a rock but that's for another thread....

1. Honduras 82.1

2. El Salvador 66

3. Ivory Coast 56.9

4. Jamaica 52.1

5. Venezuela 49

6. Belize 41.7

7. Guatemala 41.4

9. Zambia 38

10. Uganda 36.3

150. Canada 1.8
Maybe the reason for the different death rates is - more people dying of old age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... median_age
Fifty Fifty
CC Rookie

Post by Fifty Fifty »

Topper wrote:
That begs the question: if most Americans can't get/afford the weapons that would actually be effective in repelling an invasion or the application of force by their own formidable military, what is the point of refusing to submit to regulating access to the kinds of weapons that are only really effective for killing each other?
Fifty Fifty
CC Rookie

Post by Fifty Fifty »

Topper wrote:
Spot the assault riffle.

Because they are both the same gun.

But one is black and is therefore evil.
If your objective was to whack the maximum number of people at short range in the minimum amount of time, which one would you choose? I'd take the one with the pistol grip and the clip. It may be the the other can take a clip too, but that may be where some lines ought to be drawn.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: "Lies, damn lies, and statistics."

1. Honduras 82.1
2. El Salvador 66
3. Ivory Coast 56.9
4. Jamaica 52.1
5. Venezuela 49
6. Belize 41.7
7. Guatemala 41.4
9. Zambia 38
10. Uganda 36.3
150. Canada 1.8
Hilarious! :lol:

Yes, Sweden has a much older population than the US, which proves exactly what?
If you think the crude death rate is a measure of well being, then Gaza is the place to be, eh? :roll:

And yes, US homicide rates compare favourably with Africa and South America. The point being?
To me Canada, the UK and Sweden seemed like more relevant comparissons. Especially Canada, that shares the same continent and culture but has stricter gun laws.

So, tell me again, what are you trying to prove? :drink:

Rather than the crude death rate, which of course will be higher for countries with a higher median age, it could be interesting to look at life expectancy, which is 80.9 for Sweden, 80.7 for Canada, 80.1 for the UK with their fatty foods and 78.2 for the USA.* Do the Auroras, Columbines and Newtowns contribute to this discrepancy, or is it all because of a lack of national health care?

Of course, for God's sake, feel free to point out that that's almost twice the life expectancy of Mocambique (39.2), but that's kind of beside the point. i doubt many Americans feel that's who they're competing against. :roll:

*UN figures, 2005-2010. CIA numbers (estimate 2011) differ slightly: Canada 81.4, Sweden 81.1, UK 80.1, USA 78.4
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Btw, Doc, just glancing at the homicide map you posted...

So, just going by colours, Canada and Western Europe are in the lowest category, whereas the USA falls in the same category as Peru, Libya, Syria, Iran, Afghanistan and India? Interesting. Now there is food for pause.... :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote:Peru, Libya, Syria, Iran, Afghanistan and India? Interesting. Now there is food for pause.... :|
They have food?

the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

too bad lanza didnt visit the NHL/NHLPA talks ...there would be no downside to that show...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Apart from stats which personally have little impact on my life because they're about things that have happened ( past tense) why if so many people struggle with saving income for pensions and kids college do they have a need to spend money on a gun and ammunition ? Seriously what is the fascination, is there some primeval psychosis that drives people. It's not for personal or family safety because I still haven't had any one actually relate to me a time when they had the need to defend themselves with a gun. I need a car, I need a pension I don't need a gun. Can any one explain the deep down need to have a gun ? is it like owning a pit bull...image " hey I'm cool I own a gun "

As it's Christmas do you think people buy others guns as presents or maybe ammunition. and murmur Merry Christmas :lol: From what I recall it was gold, frankincense and myrrh. I never heard of assault rifles

:lol: :lol: I'm clearly missing some thing ( thankfully )
cheers
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »