CANUCKS 2012 DRAFT POSITION

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: CANUCKS 2012 DRAFT POSITION

Post by Hockey Widow »

dhabums wrote:Speaking of the draft and the Oilers, anyone find it slightly fishy that Lowe brought Ryan Murray in for a free looksee? Is Lowe's position with the team to help it win or help him decide who to draft? Not that it matters, they'll be #1 again next year.

He was one of the first invited and everyone said Lowe was going it for exactly that reason, to have a free look see. But how much he plays will depend upon the coach. I don't have a problem with it as long as it is only 1-2 players. But this year is different because the standings directly affect Olympic seeding in 2014.
The only HW the Canucks need
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Draft time is always a fascinating time. We live in hope that the Canucks will find those hidden gems. But what is depressing about this time is realizing how poorly the Canucks have drafted from the WHL! In their own backyard, and they miss out on guys like Weber and Jamie Benn. :shock: How is it possible, when, just by proximity alone, they should have a big advantage over most other clubs? Well, obviously, you have to look at their scouting staff, and who is responsible for the WHL region. It looks like Harold Snepsts is one of their guys. I would certainly give him a failing grade based on the team's drafting record so far! So, who else is responsible for the West? Certainly, Delorme - but he has overall duties also. Until they improve their scouting team, they will continue to miss out on all the gems in the WHL! :mad:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Orcasfan wrote:Draft time is always a fascinating time. We live in hope that the Canucks will find those hidden gems. But what is depressing about this time is realizing how poorly the Canucks have drafted from the WHL! In their own backyard, and they miss out on guys like Weber and Jamie Benn. :shock: How is it possible, when, just by proximity alone, they should have a big advantage over most other clubs? Well, obviously, you have to look at their scouting staff, and who is responsible for the WHL region. It looks like Harold Snepsts is one of their guys. I would certainly give him a failing grade based on the team's drafting record so far! So, who else is responsible for the West? Certainly, Delorme - but he has overall duties also. Until they improve their scouting team, they will continue to miss out on all the gems in the WHL! :mad:
Weber is hard to chalk up to poor scouting, the Canucks took Ryan Kesler and otherwise did not have a pick available to take beardo. They did have a pick at the end of the second round and took Marc-Andre Bernier (who?), next two picks were Max Lapierre and David Backes. :scowl:

The two picks taken before Jamie Benn in 2007 were Patrick White and Taylor Ellington. Man that draft was a disaster, but the Canucks didn't do themselves any favours trading away mid round picks (for Brent Sopel and Mika Noronen I think :roll: ). Still, lots of guys other than Benn that the Canucks passed up that year.. Wayne Simmonds, PK Subban, etc.

Anyway. I would love to see some kids scooped up from the WHL and the BCHL if they are going to give the team better shots and pulling impact players from the draft - but is that really the case, that proximity gives a real advantage? Do the Canadiens still draft better than everyone else from the Q?
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Well, no, I'm sure the Canadiens don't have a monopoly of scouting the Q! But, for ages, the Q (and the OHL) have been in the "backyards" of many teams located in that region, both Canadian and American. By the same token, I doubt all those Eastern teams had a lot of scouts devoted to the WHL! So, in theory, the Canucks would have had a big advantage (especially when teams' scouting staffs were so much smaller) for a few years at least. Certainly, for the past few years, the W has been mined by all the teams in the Draft. But why is it that other teams manage to land gems in the later rounds from the W, and not Vancouver? :(
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

If the Canucks drafting is terrible and the coach is brutal then how did we finish first overall the last 2 years ? Where did the players come from ? and how did our coach manage to coach the worst players into a first place team ??? :look:
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion