CANUCKS 2012 DRAFT POSITION

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

CANUCKS 2012 DRAFT POSITION

Post by TDA Rum »

I just received my Hockey News Draft preview in the mail today and it says to quote " picks 15 to 26 will be re-ordered based on playoff results ".... So to me, this means the Canucks will receive the 16th overall pick as Detroit was knocked out before us (same amount of games) so Detroit would have the 15th pick...Pittsburgh was also knocked out before us but they played 6 games to our 5 and San Jose was knocked out after us also playing 5 games... So my understanding the teams would be seeded like this:

Detroit 15th
Vancouver 16th
San Jose 17th
Pittsburgh 18th

This is far better than drafting 26th....and may make any deals Gillis makes more interesting....
Last edited by TDA Rum on Fri May 04, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: CANUCKS 2012 DRAFT POSITION

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hopeful but extremely skeptical.
2011..... the one that got away.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Pretty sure that the Canucks will be drafting 26th. I think the final 4 are the confernce final teams from the playoffs, then the division winners based on regular season record, then the remaining playoff teams based on elimination. Being as how the Canucks had the best record, that would put them right before the final 4 playoff teams. At least i think that's the way it goes...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I don't think this is correct. The order should be the 14 non-playoff teams followed by the 12 remaining teams that fail to make the conference finals in reverse order of their position in the regular season standings and playoff seeding, followed by the two Conference finalists (again with the worse regular season team drafting first) and then the two Stanley Cup finalists drafting 29th and 30th with the winner at 30.

Look at last year:

30th: Boston (traded to Toronto, then Anaheim)
29th: Vancouver

Your Stanley Cup finalists.

28th: San Jose - 2nd seed in the West
27th: Tampa Bay - 5th seed in the East

Your Conference Finals losers (San Jose with the better regular season record)

26th: Washington (traded to Chicago) - 1st seed in the East
25th: Philadelphia (traded to Toronto) - 2nd seed in the East
24th: Detroit (traded to Ottawa) - 2nd seed in the West
23rd: Pittsburgh - 4th seed in the East
22nd: Anaheim (traded to Toronto) - 4th seed in the West
21st: Nashville (traded to Ottawa) - 5th seed in the West
20th: Phoenix - 6th seed in the West
19th: Los Angeles (traded to Edmonton) - 7th seed in the West
18th: Chicago - 8th seed in the West
17th: Montreal - 6th seed in the East (and fewer points than any WC playoff team)
16th: Buffalo - 7th seed in the East (and fewer points than any WC playoff team)
15th: New York Rangers - 8th seed in the East (and fewer points than any other playoff team)

So the Canucks can draft no lower than 26th but since no team has more points than them they can also draft no higher than 26th.

On the other hand the Red Wings can draft no lower than 24th (because the Canucks and Pittsburgh are out) and no higher than 19th (since San Jose, Ottawa, Chicago and Florida are out).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^ Spot on Davey, Canucks will draft 26th overall (barring a trade of course).
____
Try to focus on someday.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I am not really sure either....just going by what they said in the Hockey News Draft issue...maybe they are wrong...i hope they aren't though...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

TDA Rum wrote:I just received my Hockey News Draft preview in the mail today and it says to quote " picks 15 to 26 will be re-ordered based on playoff results ".... So to me, this means the Canucks will receive the 16th overall pick as Detroit was knocked out before us (same amount of games) so Detroit would have the 15th pick...Pittsburgh was also knocked out before us but they played 6 games to our 5 and San Jose was knocked out after us also playing 5 games... So my understanding the teams would be seeded like this:

Detroit 15th
Vancouver 16th
San Jose 17th
Pittsburgh 18th

This is far better than drafting 26th....and may make any deals Gillis makes more interesting....
From one Dude to another, put the fucking pipe down bro, that shit will kill ya. What kind of delusional fandango crap is that? I have never recalled such a scenario in draft order ranking. I mean, shit, I wish that were the case, I'd be fucking doing back flips right about now.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

This is what it says in the Hocket News Draft issue word for word " Edmonton picks No.1 in the 2012 draft June 22nd in Pittsburgh. The cup winner and finalist slide to no. 30 and 29, Conference finalists to pick no. 28 and no. 27. Picks 15 to 26 will be re-ordered based on playoff results. "
So how do you interpret that, Mr Royal Dude.... it says re-ordered by PLAYOFF results ...not regular season results... so maybe you should put your pipe where the sun don't shine...
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

RoyalDude wrote:I wish that were the case, I'd be fucking doing back flips right about now.
You'd do a back flip! *FLIP... as in one attempt!!!

You'd land on your head and would be whisked to the hospital where the doctor would call you a dumb ass and tell you to never attempt that again.

:thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ODB wrote: You'd land on your head and would be whisked to the hospital where the doctor would call you a dumb ass and tell you to never attempt that again.
..well, on the bright side, after he landed on his head it would be easier to stick that pipe where TDA suggested.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:
ODB wrote: You'd land on your head and would be whisked to the hospital where the doctor would call you a dumb ass and tell you to never attempt that again.
..well, on the bright side, after he landed on his head it would be easier to stick that pipe where TDA suggested.
Reinforces my belief that more people would feel better in different ways if hookah use was more prevalent.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

donlever wrote:
RD turns his hash pipe into a crack pipe?
2011..... the one that got away.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:
donlever wrote:
Reinforces my belief that more people would feel better in different ways if hookah use was more prevalent.
Did someone say hookah?! Assking the unbelievable since 1999.... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I wish that were the case, I'd be fucking doing back flips right about now.
You'd do a back flip! *FLIP... as in one attempt!!!

You'd land on your head and would be whisked to the hospital where the doctor would call you a dumb ass and tell you to never attempt that again.

:thumbs:
LOFL, classic Ohdee right there! Image

You guys are hilarious today, must be Friday. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

dbr wrote: The order should be the 14 non-playoff teams followed by the 12 remaining teams that fail to make the conference finals in reverse order of their position in the regular season standings and playoff seeding, followed by the two Conference finalists (again with the worse regular season team drafting first) and then the two Stanley Cup finalists drafting 29th and 30th with the winner at 30.
I always thought it worked like this for playoff teams:

15-22: first round losers based on their Regular season record (RSR)
23 - 26: second round losers based on their RSR
27 - 28: conference final losers based on RSR
29: Stanley Cup Runner Up
30: Stanley Cup Winner

That being said, Vancouver had the best record of all teams who were knocked out in the 2nd round, which means they'll have the 22nd pick,