Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by dbr »

Not to undermine your "lazy Russian" narrative but I am pretty sure Kovalchuk played through a herniated disk..
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Mëds wrote:
Tciso wrote:
FAN wrote:Why not take Raymond to arbitration?
Arbitration gives us a 1 year deal at probably $2.5 mil, and burns his last RFA. It's kinda a lose-lose for both sides. I'd like to see a 2-3 year deal in the $2.2 mil range. That might be low-balling MayRay, but with his injuries, it might fly.
Low-balling? He wasn't hurt last year until the SCF, and he was brutal. There was really no change in his play from last season pre-injury to this season post-injury. Anything over $1.5M is an overpayment for the role he will play on this team.
Can't say that I really agree with you there. He went from 53 points to 46 over 82 games (39 in 70), to 20 in 55 games. He had a big drop off last season after he came back from his broken back. Call me suspicious, but a broken back is likely similar to knee surgery or shoulder surgery, where it usually takes a whole season to really recover from it. MayRay may never put up 53 points again, but if he's a 40 point guy, he's worth at least $2.5 in today's NHL.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:Not to undermine your "lazy Russian" narrative but I am pretty sure Kovalchuk played through a herniated disk..
Appreciate the info.....had no idea.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mëds wrote:.....had no idea.
99% of the time
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Tciso wrote: MayRay may never put up 53 points again, but if he's a 40 point guy, he's worth at least $2.5 in today's NHL.
An inconsistent 40 point 2nd line winger without size for $2.5M+? I think it's time to say goodbye to Raymond. I like Raymond and I think he's a useful player that can play on the 3rd line if he puts his mind to it, but as long as Raymond sees himself as a 2nd line goal scorer and wants a salary that reflects that it'll be hard to keep him.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Mëds wrote: Low-balling? He wasn't hurt last year until the SCF, and he was brutal. There was really no change in his play from last season pre-injury to this season post-injury. Anything over $1.5M is an overpayment for the role he will play on this team.
He actually played with injury for a very large chunk of the year (shoulder and wrist I think).

$1.5 M on this team may be what he's worth but contract negotiations don't really work that way. It's apparent that players like Raymond are going to get $2.5M or even more this summer. Because of this he is an asset even if at that price he doesn't fit on the team. You qualify him (or deal him).
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

FAN wrote:
Tciso wrote: MayRay may never put up 53 points again, but if he's a 40 point guy, he's worth at least $2.5 in today's NHL.
An inconsistent 40 point 2nd line winger without size for $2.5M+? I think it's time to say goodbye to Raymond. I like Raymond and I think he's a useful player that can play on the 3rd line if he puts his mind to it, but as long as Raymond sees himself as a 2nd line goal scorer and wants a salary that reflects that it'll be hard to keep him.
Yeah. I don't mind Raymond, and his point production vs Salary isn't my problem, he just has no spot on this roster. We need a true second line winger to play with Booth and Kesler. Raymond isn't that guy, imo. He may bounce back this season, but imo the chances of him going back to a 50+ point guy are fairly slim. I don't feel comfortable going into next season with him in our top-6.

The bottom six is fairly set. It's nice to have guys that could step into a more prominent role, should the need arise. I think Raymond is one of these guys. But we also have Higgins, Hansen and now Kassian that should/could fill that same role, and imo play a regular bottom-6 role more effectively than Raymond. MayRay probably does have some value around the league, the Canucks are just too deep on the 'tweener' count, and need to get more bonafide scoring in the top-6, and size and grit in the bottom six. Raymond just doesn't fit anymore.

All that being said, I don't want to lose him for nothing. Sign him, then package him with Ballard or Luongo for the top6F/top4D this team really needs.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Raymond is outta her...dont even waste the paper to sign him...too tiny... he is a very very replaceable part of this team and a dime a dozen player...lets get a player who's at least physically bigger than most guys little sisters...
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

the Dogsalmon wrote:Raymond is outta her....
Apparently didn't work, his old lady got pregnant.
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:
Mëds wrote:.....had no idea.
99% of the time
:roll:
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

I just heard a sound bite on 1040, I think it was a former Wild GM or something like that, and he said the Wild are preparing an offer for Parise that he won't be able to say no to. It was a bigger amount than he himself even thought they would make. He almost sound shocked.
2011..... the one that got away.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..he'll be able to say no if he wants to go to a Cup Final again any time soon.
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Found the article:
Buzz: Will Zach Parise Be Able To Turn Down Minnesota?
posted on June 13th, 2012 at 2:11 pm

According to Pro Hockey Talk, former Minnesota North Stars GM Lou Nanne was on the radio and said that he thinks the Minnesota Wild will make an offer to Zach Parise that he won’t be able to turn down.

“I had dinner with [Wild owner] Craig Leipold on Wednesday night,” Nanne said. “I know Chuck Fletcher and Leipold really want Parise, and what Craig told me is how hard he’s going to go after him, and the kind of money he’s going after him [with] — I don’t see how Parise’s not coming here.

He adds that the Wild will not be outbid for Parise.

Parise is from Minnesota
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Nice way to get around the tampering rules..
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

DarrenDreger:
Quote:
Canucks file "cutdown" arbitration on Mason Raymond. Q.O is $2.6 million. Salary can't drop more than to $2.21 million if Van wins arb case.
What is "cutdown" arbitration?