Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:DarrenDreger:
Quote:
Canucks file "cutdown" arbitration on Mason Raymond. Q.O is $2.6 million. Salary can't drop more than to $2.21 million if Van wins arb case.
What is "cutdown" arbitration?

thats when you offer a player in lieu of salary the opportunity to harvest 1/2 a pound of weed off every crop you grow for the term of his contract, but he has to cut it down by himself...hence "cutdown"...God you guys are slow...
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:DarrenDreger:
Quote:
Canucks file "cutdown" arbitration on Mason Raymond. Q.O is $2.6 million. Salary can't drop more than to $2.21 million if Van wins arb case.
What is "cutdown" arbitration?

thats when you offer a player in lieu of salary the opportunity to harvest 1/2 a pound of weed off every crop you grow for the term of his contract, but he has to cut it down by himself...hence "cutdown"...God you guys are slow...
Hmmm... probably would be good for the back pains.

He'd be stupid not to take this deal.
2011..... the one that got away.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Looks like it is basically team-elected arbitration in lieu of a Qualifying Offer:
12.3 Eligibility for Club-Elected Salary Arbitration. Subject to subsections (c) and (d) below and the eligibility requirements set forth in Article 12.1, a Club will have the right to elect to take a Player to salary arbitration under the following conditions:

(a)Club-Elected Salary Arbitration For Players With Paragraph 1 NHL Salaries plus Signing, Roster, and Reporting Bonuses Greater Than $1,500,000 In The Prior League Year.
(i) If a Player who is otherwise eligible to receive a Qualifying Offer and become a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent had a Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus Signing, Roster and Reporting Bonuses in excess of $1,500,000 in the aggregate in the final League Year of his most recent SPC, a Club may elect to file for salary arbitration to determine the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary for the upcoming League Year in lieu of making a Qualifying Offer to such Player.
(ii)In any salary arbitration that takes place pursuant to this Section 12.3(a), the Salary Arbitrator may not award the Player a Paragraph 1 Salary that is less than eighty-five (85) percent of the aggregate sum of Player's Paragraph 1 Salary plus Signing, Reporting and Roster Bonuses in the final League Year of his most recent SPC.
Raymond got $2.6m this year, 85% of which is the $2.21m figure Dreger used.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

dbr wrote:Looks like it is basically team-elected arbitration in lieu of a Qualifying Offer:

So is this just about saving 400k?
2011..... the one that got away.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Well, it could also be about holding onto Raymond's rights until late July (I think that's when they start hearing arbitration cases) without running the risk that he accepts his $2.6m qualifying offer..
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

$400k, plus the the 10% of $2.6 (260k) it would require to qualify.

He's got limited rights and no bargaining power. If Gillis can sign him to an even friendlier cap hit, they can either keep him on as a spare part to start the season, or increase his trade value slightly by having an accommodating cap hit.

Even though all accounts suggest the cap raising again, it never hurts to make every penny count.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

BladesofSteel wrote:$400k, plus the the 10% of $2.6 (260k) it would require to qualify.

He's got limited rights and no bargaining power. If Gillis can sign him to an even friendlier cap hit, they can either keep him on as a spare part to start the season, or increase his trade value slightly by having an accommodating cap hit.

Even though all accounts suggest the cap raising again, it never hurts to make every penny count.
Does the 10% raise apply to Raymond's qualifying offer? I thought that was only if the player was making less than the league's average salary, but I may be incorrect.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Is that the one chance the team gets to ask for a reduction in the RFA players salary?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

@DarrenDreger - "Canucks can trade Raymond before or after arbitration. However, they can't walkaway from a Club elected arb."

So he can still be tacked onto the Luongo blockbuster deal to Toronto or TB or Florida etc.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Cutdown arbitration?

Hands up if you knew that was a thing. That's right - zero hands.

I guarantee you the Lowe/Tambellini 'braintrust' wouldn't find cutdown arbitration on capgeek.

Next up for Gillis & Co is invoking the clause in the CBA that forces Nashville to trade Weber to us for Raymond and Ballard.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:@DarrenDreger - "Canucks can trade Raymond before or after arbitration. However, they can't walkaway from a Club elected arb."

So he can still be tacked onto the Luongo blockbuster deal to Toronto or TB or Florida etc.
WooHoo! That's exciting news...once we get him off the team we will be good again. Him and that 2.5 million of his was really bringing this team down. He's such a major cancer in the room.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

dbr wrote:

Canucks will win this one easily, my guess is that Raymond either takes the 2.2 and avoids the hearing or they work on a 2 year deal.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Easy. GMMG is covering his bases lest Mason slip away. A simple call to Raymond and agent.

"When we signed you two years ago, we anticipated you developing to the next level, however playing injured the last two years has been a setback in your development. We believe are are still an asset to the team and have a role to fill but the facts are, throughout your current contract you have earned more money than Alex Burrows while playing a lesser role than Jannick Hansen. Let's slide your rate back a bit and have a look at you when healthy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

MG hates to walk away from assets so this is a good move for him. Raymond has little bargaining power but lets face it if the arbitrator buys the playing through and after serious injuries line he could award Raymond much more as I am sure he and his agent will counter. If that happens the Canucks cannot walk away. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 1-2 year deal worked out for below what he is making now to keep it cap friendly all the while allowing the Canucks the opportunity to trade him at some point if they want to.

If I am Raymond I take the one year deal at 2.2. But thats just me.

When you think about it all contracts should be handled this way. When your contract is up the team should always have the right to offer less to RFA's based upon how they performed under the old contract. It shouldn't be a one time thing IMHO.
The only HW the Canucks need
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:if the arbitrator buys the playing through and after serious injuries line he could award Raymond much more as I am sure he and his agent will counter. If that happens the Canucks cannot walk away.
They cant walk away but they could stick his ass on the farm if they need the cap space.

That would be worst case for Raymond, and a big reason why he should be reasonable.