Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by ukcanuck »

the Dogsalmon wrote:bettman is a little prick...
word...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Fred wrote:I might invest your money but I wouldn't put a plugged nickel of my money into an NHL franchise, do you remember when the Canucks were drawing 7500 a game
Fred, I read your point of view in the strike thread and all I can say is you should work for the taxman if you believe that owning a NHL franchise is a losing proposition. Thats the same bullshit the rich man sells every year, I cant pay my taxes, I lost money.
rich man always makes money even when he is losing money he is still making money
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Strangelove wrote: Franchise values rising is huge.
Ding, Ding, Ding!

For the most part, even the franchises that are losing the most money have seen their franchise value rise exponentially since the lockout.

For instance, during/after the last lockout the Anaheim Ducks were sold on the cheap, less than $100M if I'm not mistaken, and by now the franchise value is well over $100M.

So even when teams lose money, they can rest assured that the value of the team will continue to grow...sort of like a real estate investment, and if you want its value to rise, you have to do some work around the house.

Either way, the franchise value is always a giant safety net that helps against losses over the long term as value accrues. Obviously, if you own a shitty team in a shitty market, the value growth may become somewhat retarded, but there will always be some growth.

At the end of the day, owning a sports team is a longer term investment, and one that can cost owners money, but not as much as one might think in light of the suggested annual losses by individual teams.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i believe the American corporate taxation system also works to the owners benefit a little more than the Canadian system does...i may be wrong...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

ukcanuck wrote:
Fred wrote:I might invest your money but I wouldn't put a plugged nickel of my money into an NHL franchise, do you remember when the Canucks were drawing 7500 a game
Fred, I read your point of view in the strike thread and all I can say is you should work for the taxman if you believe that owning a NHL franchise is a losing proposition. Thats the same bullshit the rich man sells every year, I cant pay my taxes, I lost money.
rich man always makes money even when he is losing money he is still making money
Yeah that's probably what the last owner of the Sabres was saying as they dragged him off to court,or, Nashville Predators majority owner William "Boots" Del Baggio is heading to the big house for 8 years. There's been a range of NHL owners ended up where you can only visit once a week. But NHL is too a small cross section (30 teams ) of business to judge. Lots of business men end up doing time for avoiding taxes and fraud what ever. It's not without danger and then there's bankruptcy heck they keep count of that as a financial indicator there's that many. If they're avoiding taxes and they're caught I hope they do go to jail just like any other offender. As Warren Buffet said it's wrong when he pays less tax ( percentage wise ) than his secretary ....but he did even the score a year ago when he gave $37 million to charity or Bill Gates gave $33 million away. They're not all bad and without investment lets face it most of us would be out of work. Most of us have pensions which cling to the back of the business world including the Unions. I'm thinking the NHLPA has a lot of it's fund invested in the business world 8-)

I'll feel bad when the teams start laying off their staff and ushers ( many retired from regular work ) etc don't get work they need to keep them going, but the players, owners as I've said before a pox on both their houses

As to rising franchise values I was once told an important message. Some thing, any thing, is only worth what it bring when you actually complete the sale. It serves no purpose to look at some calculator button pushers opinion of a value. If that were so Phx would have been snatched up, the current perspective owner can't get any one to come up with $20 million.... $20 million, and as I said before the Ontario teachers pension fund is doing THAT WELL it wants to sell it's holdings ..... I can only assume because they can do better else where. Fortune Magazine may predict a value but that's all it is a prediction
cheers
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Fred wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Yeah that's probably what the last owner of the Sabres was saying as they dragged him off to court,or, Nashville Predators majority owner William "Boots" Del Baggio is heading to the big house for 8 years. There's been a range of NHL owners ended up where you can only visit once a week. But NHL is too a small cross section (30 teams ) of business to judge. Lots of business men end up doing time for avoiding taxes and fraud what ever. It's not without danger and then there's bankruptcy heck they keep count of that as a financial indicator there's that many. If they're avoiding taxes and they're caught I hope they do go to jail just like any other offender. As Warren Buffet said it's wrong when he pays less tax ( percentage wise ) than his secretary ....but he did even the score a year ago when he gave $37 million to charity or Bill Gates gave $33 million away. They're not all bad and without investment lets face it most of us would be out of work. Most of us have pensions which cling to the back of the business world including the Unions. I'm thinking the NHLPA has a lot of it's fund invested in the business world 8-)
I'm not saying that rich men cheat, cook books and avoid taxes, stupid rich men do that, there are plenty of legitimate ways to keep making money while looking like they are losing money. Ask the Bruins who whine about losing money because they dont make any money other than the ticket sales. they dont tell you that the company that owns the building, the company that owns the parking lots, the company that leases the stall to the vendors, the company that owns the rink board advertising and the rights to the clock hanging at centre ice, the company that owns the intellectual rights to the logo you see on every fucking sears catalog since you were kid, make lots of coin collectively. these are guys that hire armies of lawyers to spread the liability around so completely that it would and probably does take the government decades to catch on every loophole.

lets face it it takes a degree in economics and law to figure half the shit out the owners have going on, you think the salary cap is confusing...oh and i didnt count the royalties every time you buy your sports action ticket or the tv rights or the advertising that comes with that.

The point is i dont believe one fucking word out of buttmans mouth about cost certainty or whatever bullshit will dribble out of that little turds mouth.
bottom line i dont pay 300 dollars to go an sit and watch a bunch fat fuckers smoking cigars and whining about being rich i go to see the players put there lives on the line displaying skills that take a lifetime to acquire and at the end of the day
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Funny when you think about it. The last CBA was intended by the battery of lawyers and accountants to instill cost certainty and a group of simple GM's to take it apart and find ways around the very spirit of the agreement :D

If I remember rightly the owners opened the books to the PA in the last go around. Plus of course the players are up to the very same things themselves.

The fan, the source of the river flowing cash into their pockets is the only ones not represented
cheers
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: I'm not saying that rich men cheat, cook books and avoid taxes, stupid rich men do that, there are plenty of legitimate ways to keep making money while looking like they are losing money. Ask the Bruins who whine about losing money because they dont make any money other than the ticket sales. they dont tell you that the company that owns the building, the company that owns the parking lots, the company that leases the stall to the vendors, the company that owns the rink board advertising and the rights to the clock hanging at centre ice, the company that owns the intellectual rights to the logo you see on every fucking sears catalog since you were kid, make lots of coin collectively. these are guys that hire armies of lawyers to spread the liability around so completely that it would and probably does take the government decades to catch on every loophole.

lets face it it takes a degree in economics and law to figure half the shit out the owners have going on, you think the salary cap is confusing...oh and i didnt count the royalties every time you buy your sports action ticket or the tv rights or the advertising that comes with that.

The point is i dont believe one fucking word out of buttmans mouth about cost certainty or whatever bullshit will dribble out of that little turds mouth.
bottom line i dont pay 300 dollars to go an sit and watch a bunch fat fuckers smoking cigars and whining about being rich i go to see the players put there lives on the line displaying skills that take a lifetime to acquire and at the end of the day
And at the end of the day what? :eh:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: I'm not saying that rich men cheat, cook books and avoid taxes, stupid rich men do that, there are plenty of legitimate ways to keep making money while looking like they are losing money. Ask the Bruins who whine about losing money because they dont make any money other than the ticket sales. they dont tell you that the company that owns the building, the company that owns the parking lots, the company that leases the stall to the vendors, the company that owns the rink board advertising and the rights to the clock hanging at centre ice, the company that owns the intellectual rights to the logo you see on every fucking sears catalog since you were kid, make lots of coin collectively. these are guys that hire armies of lawyers to spread the liability around so completely that it would and probably does take the government decades to catch on every loophole.

bottom line i dont pay 300 dollars to go an sit and watch a bunch fat fuckers smoking cigars and whining about being rich i go to see the players put there lives on the line displaying skills that take a lifetime to acquire and at the end of the day, If the owners actually go through with another lock out, they can go fuck themselves as far as getting another nickel out of me, oh i'll watch on tv as i am already paying for it, but no hats, tshirts, jerseys or anything else that gives em a dime
And at the end of the day what? :eh:
sorry got called away mid post...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

I just can not wait to see a line with Jansen-Gaunce-Kassian in the preseason.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=639642
Canucks sign 2012 first round selection Brendan Gaunce

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed centre Brendan Gaunce. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Gaunce recorded 68 points (28-40-68) and added 68 penalty minutes in 68 games with the Belleville Bulls of the OHL in 2011.12. The 6’2”, 205 lbs. centre led the Bulls in goals, assists and points in 2011.12.

The Markham, ON, native represented Team Canada at the 2011 U18 World Junior Championship where he collected four points (1-3-4) in seven games, helping Canada win the bronze medal.

Gaunce was selected in the first round, 26th overall by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote:I just can not wait to see a line with Jansen-Gaunce-Kassian in the preseason.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=639642
Canucks sign 2012 first round selection Brendan Gaunce

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed centre Brendan Gaunce. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Gaunce recorded 68 points (28-40-68) and added 68 penalty minutes in 68 games with the Belleville Bulls of the OHL in 2011.12. The 6’2”, 205 lbs. centre led the Bulls in goals, assists and points in 2011.12.

The Markham, ON, native represented Team Canada at the 2011 U18 World Junior Championship where he collected four points (1-3-4) in seven games, helping Canada win the bronze medal.

Gaunce was selected in the first round, 26th overall by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
If the video has already been posted, my apologies (great tune by Phoenix, BTW)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnKVPlbVNQ
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Jovocop wrote:I just can not wait to see a line with Jansen-Gaunce-Kassian in the preseason.
+1
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

IMO Good wrist shot, bigger than most of the other players, goes to dirty area and drives to the net. Not afraid to drop the gloves and it seemed like he could keep up speed wise. When he fills out he's going to be a load with nice play making skills
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

He would be a pretty good 7th or 8th defenseman for the Canucks...
Kevin Allen‏@kausatoday

Predators sign Scott Hannan to a one-year deal. http://usat.ly/QJGCzi
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Looks like the Preds are going to run with a couple of free agent depth defensemen in Gill and Hannan, rather than going with homegrown guys (Klein, Zanon, etc) like they traditionally have.

Are they trying to bolster their depth with so many other prospects in the mix (Josi, Blum, Ellis) or is Nashville simply not producing the quantity of solid NHL defenders they once did?