Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by Farhan Lalji »

dbr wrote:Tim Connolly is 31 if that gives you an idea of where he is in his development.
Oh oops, I meant Ashton.

p.s.___________Don't be too critical of 31 year olds. Tim and I are of the same age. :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Lol, c'mon Topper. Since when did you become so serious?! :P

I was obviously kidding around. Strangelove got it.
LOL, even GM can't tell when I'm being serious or not.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Topper wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:Lol, c'mon Topper. Since when did you become so serious?! :P

I was obviously kidding around. Strangelove got it.
LOL, even GM can't tell when I'm being serious or not.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr............... :devil:

p.s.______________Well played sir. Well played. 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Farhan Lalji wrote: Hey Doc,

Speaking of the leaves, what do you think about Luongo AND Kesler going to Toronto? If the Canucks were to offer both Luongo and Kesler to Toronto, do you think it would give us a chance at landing ALL of Gardiner, Schenn, Connolly, Ashton, and 5th overall?
Seriously: That package doesn't even come close to the value of Lou + Kesler.

Plus I would kill myself if Kesler ever ended up with the Leaves.

NOT kidding. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Strangelove wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: Hey Doc,

Speaking of the leaves, what do you think about Luongo AND Kesler going to Toronto? If the Canucks were to offer both Luongo and Kesler to Toronto, do you think it would give us a chance at landing ALL of Gardiner, Schenn, Connolly, Ashton, and 5th overall?
Seriously: That package doesn't even come close to the value of Lou + Kesler.

Plus I would kill myself if Kesler ever ended up with the Leaves.

NOT kidding. :wink:
If Luongo goes to the leaves, they will become my 2nd favorite team by default. :oops:

p.s.___________Exploring this Kesler-addtion idea a little further (I know it obviously won't happen, lol).........I'm wondering what else the leaves could throw in there to even out the deal (Colborne?).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Simply put: The Leaves don't have the assets to trade for Kesler + Luongo.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Strangelove wrote:Simply put: The Leaves don't have the assets to trade for Kesler + Luongo.
-Ashton
-Colborne
-Gardiner
-Schenn
-Toronto's 1st overall
-Connolly

all come here.

Schultz, upon seeing Gardiner in Vancouver, signs with us as well.

We already have Zack Kassian, Jordan Schroeder, and Corey Schneider.

Just saying - if we're thinking from a 'build from prospects' perspective, that's a pretty damn impressive future young core right there.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Farhan Lalji wrote: that's a pretty damn impressive future young core right there.
Which is exactly why TO would never consider it.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Farhan Lalji wrote: -Ashton
-Colborne
-Gardiner
-Schenn
-Toronto's 1st overall
-Connolly

all come here.

Not anywhere near enough for two proven elite players on good contracts.

The Leaves are in Hell right now, let's leave them there wot?

BTW Connolly is a cap-dump at this point.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

CFP! wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: that's a pretty damn impressive future young core right there.
Remember - this is Burke we're talking about.

Burke would sacrifice the penis of his own father if it meant stealing the headlines with an impressive short term deal.

TO is starved for playoff action and Burkey loves the limelight.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Simply put: The Leaves don't have the assets to trade for Kesler + Luongo.
-Ashton
-Colborne
-Gardiner
-Schenn
-Toronto's 1st overall
-Connolly

all come here.

We already have Zack Kassian, Jordan Schroeder, and Corey Schneider.

Just saying - if we're thinking from a 'build from prospects' perspective, that's a pretty damn impressive future young core right there.
Which one of those Toronto players is going to turn into a 40-goal, perennial Selke nominee? I see:

-Prospect with size.
-Prospect with size.
-Top-4 Dman with top-2 potential.
-Top-4 Dman with Willie Mitchell potential.
-Possible impact Forward, or possible Luke Schenn.
-Cap Dump.

That package goes a long way to making us yonger and bigger. It also eliminates us from competition next season and immediately closes our window with the Sedins. We give up a multiple Vezina finalist and one of the best defensive forward in hockey for a package of youngsters and unproven talent. That type of trade makes sense for Columbus, not a team that sees itself as a cup contender.

Toronto fans are adament that the 5th overall nor Gardiner are in play. Personally, if I'm them, I already have Phaneuf, Liles, Gunnarson, Komisarek, Schenn and Franson... I can probably do without Gardiner. The 5th overall may or may not pan out, but 90% sure that they won't be in the lineup next season.

Adding a number 1 goalie is paramount to them.

Luongo + Van's 26 overall

Gardiner + 5 Overall
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
CFP! wrote:
Remember - this is Burke we're talking about.
So then we get the Leave's next three 2nd round picks and next four 3rd round picks.

No.

Haven't we seen enough fours dressed up as sixes come out of Toronto to know better.
Last edited by Topper on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Island Nucklehead wrote: (and in response to Topper)

Which one of those Toronto players is going to turn into a 40-goal, perennial Selke nominee? I see:

-Prospect with size.
-Prospect with size.
-Top-4 Dman with top-2 potential.
-Top-4 Dman with Willie Mitchell potential.
-Possible impact Forward, or possible Luke Schenn.
-Cap Dump.

That package goes a long way to making us yonger and bigger. It also eliminates us from competition next season and immediately closes our window with the Sedins. We give up a multiple Vezina finalist and one of the best defensive forward in hockey for a package of youngsters and unproven talent.
You are right.

I came up with this idea/line of thought in response to Royaldude's idea (i.e. adding more depth in the line up, mirroring what Philly did when they traded Mike Richards to LA for guys like Wayne Simmons, etc.).

I have no idea as to where Gardiner, Ashton, etc., are in their development, but I think it would be pretty cool if they were currently at the level that guys like Kesler, Burrows, and Raymond were at when the 07/08 season ended. We then see the quantum leap these guys took when the 08/09 season started. Even if these guys aren't ready by next season, my line of thinking was that guys like Ashton, Gardiner, Schenn, Coburne, Schultz (if he signs here due to Gardiner's presence), and Kassian could take quantum leaps in about 18 months.......where the twins, who probably won't be as good at that time, would still be good enough to anchor the first line.

I have no idea if guys like Gardiner, Ashton, etc., are in the stage of their development (and by your description of them, it doesn't sound like they are?).

Again - I'm just thinking out loud. Slow day. :P

My line of thinking is that whether direction the Canucks decide to go (be it going for it next season, taking a long term approach, etc., etc.), take an AGGRESSIVE stance. Don't be middle of the road. Either commit to going balls out for next season in hopes of winning a cup with this core (that legitimately does need a big 'shot in the arm'), or fully commit to ensuring that our next core is loaded with a shit load of promise.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I think we could get a combination of those guys in a Luongo deal, without having to deal Kesler.

Say: Ashton, Colbourne, 2nd for Luongo.

The problem for the Canucks is that neither is likely to crack our roster next season. Ashton was picked 29th in the Kassian draft. He had 0 points for the Laughs in 15 games this year. He's not making the Canucks, imo.

Colbourne is interesting. He's 6'5, 220 and 22 years old. It's make or break time for him. He had 42 points in 75 AHL games this year, but improved markedly after going to the Marlies (16pts in 20). Bigger guys tend to take longer to develop. Either way... I don't see him supplanting Hank, Kes, Manny, Lappy or even Schroeder on our C depth chart right now. May turn into a solid 3rd liner eventually.

I'm gonna throw it out there: Would folks be willing to do a Schneider+ package for the 2nd overall pick in the draft, thereby keeping Luongo.

Columbus is desperate for goaltending, the pick is reportedly in play. Luongo will almost certainly not want to go there. Forget Nash, what are the odds of us getting a Seguin-esque shot in the arm without having to sacrifice (a lot) from our roster?
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Farhan Lalji wrote: Again - I'm just thinking out loud. Slow day. :P
No offense man, (thanks for bumping some threads today) butt do you ever get tired of reading your "spitballing"? I mean, you say slow day....but it seems like your posts contain a lot filler.