Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by clem »

Notable unsigned free agents, as of July 11th.

Alexander Semin (today's rumour is Pittsburgh), Andrei Kostitsyn, Wojtek Wolski, Peter Mueller, Dominic Moore, Teemu Selanne, Kyle Wellwood, Jamie Langenbrunner, Jason Arnott, Carlo Colaiacovo, Jaroslav Spacek, Pavel Kubina, Kurtis Foster, Dan Ellis and Brent Johnson.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

clem wrote:Notable unsigned free agents, as of July 11th.

Alexander Semin (today's rumour is Pittsburgh), Andrei Kostitsyn, Wojtek Wolski, Peter Mueller, Dominic Moore, Teemu Selanne, Kyle Wellwood, Jamie Langenbrunner, Jason Arnott, Carlo Colaiacovo, Jaroslav Spacek, Pavel Kubina, Kurtis Foster, Dan Ellis and Brent Johnson.
Really the notables are Semin and Doan.

Selanne will be a Duck unless he takes the hockey world by surprise.

Langenbrunner re-signed with the Blues.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Zedlee wrote:
Tciso wrote:Mancari signed with Buffalo for $550k. Too bad he couldn't convert his big size and great AHL numbers into the NHL.
Did he even get a chance to show his stuff in the NHL? He played what, 8 games for us before getting injured. With Buffalo he just might get a chance.
Like his previous 4 season with the Sabres organization where he got into 35 NHL games? He's a top AHLer that will likely never be able to make the jump to the NHL because he has fatal flaws that will not be corrected to the point that he becomes useful in the bigs...those flaws being he is a terrible skater, doesn't use his size, has no consistency and is a disaster defensively.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Kurtis Foster is somewhat interesting as a third-pairing RHD. I was surprised to see he's 6'5. 220 lbs, I never noticed him playing a big man's game. Perhaps he's been waiting for Suter and Parise to get his deal done with Minny though.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

There's the guy right there. Roll the dice on his concussion problem being a thing of the past. Should be able to land him at about $2mil on a one-year one-way at this point. If he gets injured yet again well we can use the LTIR. If he's lost his game, waive him down and Aquaman can eat it.

24 year old former 8th overall is dynamic offensively if he rediscovers his game.

This is the kind of gamble rich teams like your Vancouver Canucks can make. :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

ESQ wrote:
Kurtis Foster is somewhat interesting as a third-pairing RHD. I was surprised to see he's 6'5. 220 lbs, I never noticed him playing a big man's game. Perhaps he's been waiting for Suter and Parise to get his deal done with Minny though.
Yay, I have an ally on the Kurtis Foster bandwagon

:D

His defensive game is apparently crap, but he can't be much worse than Ballard in the defensive zone. And at least he can play the right side and fire away from the point on the PP.

Stick him with Tanev and the kid will clean up the mess. Could be a serviceable pairing in case of injury.
Last edited by CaptainTrev on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Foster & Meuller are definitely gambles. Both could be suitable reclamation projects, but may not fit play or personality objectives.

Foster has been a bit of a bounce-around/malcontent since he smashed up his leg. Mueller plays soft & had the concussion problem.

If we’re considering old guys (like Doan), Pavel Kubina warrants consideration.
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

clem wrote:Mueller plays soft & had the concussion problem.
Also, isn't Mueller a headcase with a meddling daddy or somesuch?

Though I guess we have an opening at that position now.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

CaptainTrev wrote:
clem wrote:Mueller plays soft & had the concussion problem.

Though I guess we have an opening at that position now.
I've seen indications that he is a problem child and that is why has has bounced around between a couple of organizations and is now a UFA. Unless Gillis believes he can rehabilitate the kid, I would steer clear of him.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

clem wrote:If we’re considering old guys (like Doan), Pavel Kubina warrants consideration.
I'd be wary of Kubina. He got a contract last year from a GM desperate for NHL calibre defensemen, got traded to another team absolutely desperate for NHL calibre defensemen in Philly and even then they scratched him their last eight playoff games and elected to go with an all-lefty defense - even after the Devils keyed on that weakness to take control of the series.

I haven't watched him play recently but on paper it looks like he's done.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

CaptainTrev wrote:
clem wrote: Mueller plays soft & had the concussion problem.
Nope, I've heard he's great in the room and a fan-favorite.

Alotta Colorado fans were miffed by the decision to let him go:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1216967
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote: I've seen indications that he is a problem child and that is why has has bounced around between a couple of organizations and is now a UFA. Unless Gillis believes he can rehabilitate the kid, I would steer clear of him.
Can you dig up a link?

Maybe there was a problem in Phoenix, but I see nothing but love in Colorado.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote: Can you dig up a link?

Kyle Turris had a couple issues with Phoenix.

He looks like a great fit and like he's going to get his career back on track with Ottawa.

I wouldn't look too much into problems players have in Phoenix, especially young ones. Do they even have a development program?
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

dbr wrote:
clem wrote:If we’re considering old guys (like Doan), Pavel Kubina warrants consideration.
I'd be wary of Kubina. He got a contract last year from a GM desperate for NHL calibre defensemen, got traded to another team absolutely desperate for NHL calibre defensemen in Philly and even then they scratched him their last eight playoff games and elected to go with an all-lefty defense - even after the Devils keyed on that weakness to take control of the series.

I haven't watched him play recently but on paper it looks like he's done.
I’d want to see better conditioning & foot speed from Kubina before taking a chance on him. If he proved himself in camp, that could be OK. He’s got the size, experience, & mean streak.

Having the will & the need to prove himself in camp is another matter.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Can you dig up a link?

Kyle Turris had a couple issues with Phoenix.

He looks like a great fit and like he's going to get his career back on track with Ottawa.

I wouldn't look too much into problems players have in Phoenix, especially young ones. Do they even have a development program?
Oh yes.... but really they have a Dale Tippett problem.

I believe Mueller (wasn't it behind closed doors?) and Turris both asked for trades.

Dale Tippett makes Alain Vigneault look like Ryan Walter when it comes to young players.

Apparently he has given rough rides to Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Brett MacLean as well.

Phoenix fans LOVED Mueller until they found out he asked for a trade.

And Tippett-hating Yotes fans still love Mueller.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!