Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:24 am

donlever wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: I would have to think climate would be a factor for some players. I know if I had the god given talent to play hockey professionally Vancouver wouldn't be at the top of my list because of the shitty weather here. Guys like to do things like golf, go boating etc , play with your kids outside. Other than a few weeks a year it is tough to do those things here.
I go the other way.

With millions in the bank and 6 months of the year to live wherever I want and do whatever I please my list would include places like Vancouver in the situation they are in now where a Cup is a distinct possibility.

New York has comparably shiite weather, I'd play there.
I am just bitter about the weather here over the past two spring and summers. Rewind back to 2009 and 2010 and the weather was phenomenal from late May to September. 2011 and 2012 have left me with a real sour taste in my mouth with barbecues, ball games and golf games cancelled left , right and centre. I guess it's that the weather has been so shitty for so long that I have basically given up having much of an outdoor life once again this year.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:33 am

..hey, you're preaching to the choir here, outside of the personal shiite which I get and agree with you on my entire professional life revolves around weather conditions.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!

CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 am

HE's back...

@DarrenDreger
Canucks settle with Mason Raymond before arbitrations. 1 year, $2.275 mil.

the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:56 am

CorranHorn wrote:HE's back...

@DarrenDreger

we got assraped...

CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:01 am

the Dogsalmon wrote:
we got assraped...
One year... that's it.

We give him one more year to find his groove and move from there. If not we walk away and say, thanks for the times bud.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:02 am

donlever wrote:..hey, you're preaching to the choir here, outside of the personal shiite which I get and agree with you on my entire professional life revolves around weather conditions.
I've lived in the east (Toronto and Montreal mostly) for the last 12 years and I'll take Vancouver weather over this crap any day of the week. At least in Van you want to go outside - what are you going to do here except play golf? No skiing, the snowmobiling sucks, and in the summer it's too damn hot to even sit on a patio.

That said, I was in Van for much of last summer and it really sucked. The west coast has been having awful summers the last few years. I grew up in northern BC (Terrace) and it was always hit and miss there too, some really nice summers and others where you had about 5 sunny days in the whole summer.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 am

A little information about Doan's negotiation
News1130 Sports‏@News1130Sports

Shane Doan's agent Terry Bross just told CKWX that the #Canucks are very much in the mix for his client.

Bross tells CKWX that Doan has held talks with Lawrence Gillman and the #Canucks and they are on his list of desired destinations.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:05 am

the Dogsalmon wrote:

@DarrenDreger

we got assraped...
Nah, this is pretty close to where the value should be. Like it or not, he's going to get paid more than a guy like Hansen (who is on a very good deal) because he's scored 25 goals before. Somebody will think he can do it again.

If Gillis can get a Doan or some other winger then I would think Raymond is the first guy out the door. I may be wrong but he's pretty redundant given the current roster. He also gives Gillis another trade chip, or the opportunity to move a Higgins, Hansen or Booth in another deal if he wants to.

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:07 am

@DarrenDreger
Well that was a no brainer...why bother going to arbitration if you're Raymond? Raymond is now better trade bait with a 1 yr deal in place.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:07 am

Diehard1 wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:

@DarrenDreger

we got assraped...
Nah, this is pretty close to where the value should be. Like it or not, he's going to get paid more than a guy like Hansen (who is on a very good deal) because he's scored 25 goals before. Somebody will think he can do it again.

If Gillis can get a Doan or some other winger then I would think Raymond is the first guy out the door. I may be wrong but he's pretty redundant given the current roster. He also gives Gillis another trade chip, or the opportunity to move a Higgins, Hansen or Booth in another deal if he wants to.
Unless it is a very big deal, the Canucks need more H&H type to fill out the bottom six instead of players like Raymond.

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:43 am

I think Raymond's salary could have been cut down to a MINIMUM of 2.21 million with the arbitration so this deal is only for 54,000 more than that. Small potatoes when the cap is up to a 70 bajillion dollars.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:46 am

Maybe they signed him before arbitration because they needed to package him in an upcoming deal? Please? :lol:
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:50 am

Cornuck wrote:Maybe they signed him before arbitration because they needed to package him in an upcoming deal? Please? :lol:
A different kind of disappearing act by this player from the one we normally see, like somewhere else in the hockey universe, would be another step towards me being a happier fan.

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:54 am

TSN

The Sharks made Larry Robinson's move to San Jose official by naming him as their new associate coach on Monday.

The 61-year-old Hall of Fame defenceman will join head coach Todd McLellan on the West Coast next year.

He had been with the New Jersey Devils organization since 1999, serving as a head coach from 1999-2002 and again in 2005-06. He coached the Devils to a Stanley Cup in 2000 and led them to the final the next season.

Robinson also had stints as an assistant coach with New Jersey, including their 1995 and 2003 Stanley Cup Championship seasons and last season when the team advanced to the final before falling to the L.A. Kings in six games.

Robinson coached the Kings from 1995-99 before joining the Devils' organization. He has 209 wins, 217 losses, 64 ties and 11 overtime losses as a head coach in the NHL.

The former Canadiens great played 17 seasons in Montreal, winning six Stanley Cup titles with the Habs.

His name appears on the Stanley Cup nine times as a player, head coach and assistant coach.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:07 pm

Jovocop wrote:A little information about Doan's negotiation

Shane Doan's agent Terry Bross just told CKWX that the #Canucks are very much in the mix for his client.

Bross tells CKWX that Doan has held talks with Lawrence Gillman and the #Canucks and they are on his list of desired destinations.
I'd be down for Doan, a little more jam and toughness in the lineup is needed, especially at the skill positions. He's a big, strong guy who isn't afraid to lay the lumber once in a while.

If he's looking for a 4 year deal I'd be iffy on it, if he's willing to accept 3 I'd probably be fine with it. The Nucks can always get rid of Ballard if they need to dump salary, and Manny is also up next year so there should be enough room to re-sign and add. I trust Gilman on salaries more than anybody in the league, he can fit just about anybody into the lineup.