Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by wienerdog »

SKYO wrote:
wienerdog wrote:Not really, when all you have to do is wait for the inevitable offers of $6M per minimum for 5-7 years from winning teams like DET, PHI or PIT that will inevitably be coming down the pipe.

Edler is a competitor and will want to go to a Contender. My 2¢.
Like how Suter and Parise chose a contender?
I'm just going to agree to disagree.

Only 2 or 3 days before we see if Doan might sign here!
That's fine. We'll agree to disagree. We may never know the answer to this anyway.

But your examples of Suter & Parise are a red herring because they chose on geography first (ie. they are both from Minneapplois). That particular criteria certainly won't win any races in landing Edler for NAS.

When you're slated to become one of the Big Fish in an upcoming free agent pool, Skyo, you can choose from some pretty tempting offers from some pretty decent teams.

I just don't think your proposal is that tempting an offer to a player like Edler, and without him, a deal for Weber is likely impossible. IMESHO and all that.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

wienerdog wrote:If Edler has any doubts about following the money, he only has to give his buddy Ehrhoff a call...

Fortunately for anyone who wants to consider moving him, Edler has nothing on the books in terms of a NTC or NMC. He goes where he's sent.

That being said, after next season he goes where he wants.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

wienerdog wrote:
SKYO wrote:
wienerdog wrote:Not really, when all you have to do is wait for the inevitable offers of $6M per minimum for 5-7 years from winning teams like DET, PHI or PIT that will inevitably be coming down the pipe.

Like how Suter and Parise chose a contender?
I'm just going to agree to disagree.

Only 2 or 3 days before we see if Doan might sign here!
That's fine. We'll agree to disagree. We may never know the answer to this anyway.

But your examples of Suter & Parise are a red herring because they chose on geography first (ie. they are both from Minneapplois). That particular criteria certainly won't win any races in landing Edler for NAS.

When you're slated to become one of the Big Fish in an upcoming free agent pool, Skyo, you can choose from some pretty tempting offers from some pretty decent teams.

I just don't think your proposal is that tempting an offer to a player like Edler, and without him, a deal for Weber is likely impossible. IMESHO and all that.
The geography argument doesn't apply to Edler.....as has been mentioned previously I believe.

Suter is from Wisconsin, not Minneappolis. Granted it's only about 5 hours away from Minneappolis.....but I digress.

Parise chose on geography, and Suter chose on Parise and, well I suppose geography to some degree as the Wild are the closest team to his hometown. So I digress again. :look:

Regardless of locale and pending FA status, if Gillis hears so much as a mouse's fart that Weber is willing to sign long-term in Vancouver if he is dealt here, then he needs to move whatever he needs to move to land him. If it is going to cost Edler, then so be it. As much as Edler has been decent for us, and very good even at times, and as much as Edler may still have upside, Weber is only one year older and is already one of the top 4 single dmen in the league. I actually can't think of a guy who is better than him to be honest. When I look at the top 10 cap hits in the league for defensemen, Weber is an all around better defenseman than all of them.

He has a huge shot, the only bigger cannon I can think of is Chara.

He is mobile, guys like Doughty and Keith beat him there but not by a helluvalot, and he's way better defensively.

He puts up points, 6th in the league among defensemen but tied with 19 for first with Karlsson, and a defenseman who can actually shutdown the opponent AND is getting almost 20 goals a year? Wow.

He's strong, mean, and physical.....only Chara is stronger, but Chara is slower and takes double the penalties.

If it takes Edler, Raymond, Ballard, Schroeder, and a 1st and 2nd round pick.....Gillis has to pull the trigger. And a grouping like that may be enough to get Edler to re-sign the following year with the Preds. If he has no geographic loyalty here in North America, then playing with former (current) teammates could be enough to keep him somewhere like Nashville.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

The geography argument doesn't apply to Edler.....as has been mentioned previously I believe.

Suter is from Wisconsin, not Minneappolis. Granted it's only about 5 hours away from Minneappolis.....but I digress.

Parise chose on geography, and Suter chose on Parise and, well I suppose geography to some degree as the Wild are the closest team to his hometown. So I digress again. :look:

Regardless of locale and pending FA status, if Gillis hears so much as a mouse's fart that Weber is willing to sign long-term in Vancouver if he is dealt here, then he needs to move whatever he needs to move to land him. If it is going to cost Edler, then so be it. As much as Edler has been decent for us, and very good even at times, and as much as Edler may still have upside, Weber is only one year older and is already one of the top 4 single dmen in the league. I actually can't think of a guy who is better than him to be honest. When I look at the top 10 cap hits in the league for defensemen, Weber is an all around better defenseman than all of them.

He has a huge shot, the only bigger cannon I can think of is Chara.

He is mobile, guys like Doughty and Keith beat him there but not by a helluvalot, and he's way better defensively.

He puts up points, 6th in the league among defensemen but tied with 19 for first with Karlsson, and a defenseman who can actually shutdown the opponent AND is getting almost 20 goals a year? Wow.

He's strong, mean, and physical.....only Chara is stronger, but Chara is slower and takes double the penalties.

If it takes Edler, Raymond, Ballard, Schroeder, and a 1st and 2nd round pick.....Gillis has to pull the trigger. And a grouping like that may be enough to get Edler to re-sign the following year with the Preds. If he has no geographic loyalty here in North America, then playing with former (current) teammates could be enough to keep him somewhere like Nashville.[/quote]

Suter's wife is from Minnesota - that's as important as him being from there.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Heard a rumor today , the guy definitely knows Webber, saying he has been offered 8 per for 13 years from Nashville, perhaps the only negotiating is the signing bonus.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

okcanuck wrote:Heard a rumor today , the guy definitely knows Webber, saying he has been offered 8 per for 13 years from Nashville, perhaps the only negotiating is the signing bonus.
I hope he turns that down if it's true! :D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Weber's first choice has always been, according to him, to remain in Nashville. Why would he consider a LTC this year, one year from FA, if he hasn't been willing to do so previously? The only reason I can think of is the pending new CBA and the uncertainty it brings. That may be the fly in the ointment. Perhaps Nashville has made it clear they will match any offer sheet he signs so if he wants a LTC he is just as well off signing one with Nashville. Otherwise he risks FA next year and it may be that his payday gets all balled up. Perhaps term gets limited, or signing bonuses or something that he would risk losing if he waits. So the CBA may get in the way of Weber moving.

Sort of like the last time around star players were negotiating that they get paid during any labour dispute or work stoppage. It became a sore point for some players and GM's who were reluctant to give them out.
The only HW the Canucks need
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Hockey Widow wrote:Weber's first choice has always been, according to him, to remain in Nashville. Why would he consider a LTC this year, one year from FA, if he hasn't been willing to do so previously? The only reason I can think of is the pending new CBA and the uncertainty it brings. That may be the fly in the ointment. Perhaps Nashville has made it clear they will match any offer sheet he signs so if he wants a LTC he is just as well off signing one with Nashville. Otherwise he risks FA next year and it may be that his payday gets all balled up. Perhaps term gets limited, or signing bonuses or something that he would risk losing if he waits. So the CBA may get in the way of Weber moving.

Sort of like the last time around star players were negotiating that they get paid during any labour dispute or work stoppage. It became a sore point for some players and GM's who were reluctant to give them out.
I'm not so sure that Weber's first choice has always been Nashville. I think he would like to stay in Nashville, but only if he sees that they have a good chance of winning (the Cup). That's what he told them last summer. So Poile signs Rinne LTC and adds some pieces at the deadline. Didn't work...they still bowed out in the 2nd round. And now, they've lost Suter. :cry:

I just don't see how Poile is going to convince Weber in the next week or two that he is going to be able to upgrade the team from last year! At the moment, they are weaker than last year. They need more help up front. How are they going to get it? And, I'm sorry, another guy like Kostytsin just ain't goin' to cut it! :look: There are no more quality FA forwards left on the market - except Semin. Can you imagine them going down that Russian aisle again? So, his only option is with a trade. To get a real quality 1st or 2nd line F, he will need to pony up some good players/prospects. And that kind of trade takes time. Is Weber going to be willing to wait long? :hmmm:

It's a conundrum! I don't think Weber would be willing to sign LTC with Nashville unless and until he sees evidence of marked improvement. He was promised that last year. It didn't happen, even though Poile made significant moves at the deadline. They just didn't pay off. So now what?

I could see Weber actually signing for one more year, to give Poile that chance, as well as to give himself more time to really work out alternatives. It would be a risk for all concerned, with the possibility looming that Weber walks away next year! And, the thing is, if Weber went on the market this year - what a splash he could make! There is nothing out there that could come close to his value. Plus, with the current CBA still in place, he would be guaranteed a king's ransom! But next year, there might be more competition in available UFA's, as well as a new CBA that might entail restrictions on contracts. :eh:
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

There is another reason Weber will probably stay with Nashville and that is his relationship with Barry Trotz. They both live in the Okanagan and are frequent golfing partners. I really think that Weber believes that Trotz is the perfect coach for him .

Thats not to say that Weber couldn't excel with other coaches. His talent is that good, but Trotz brings out the best of his young players.

It would be great to see Weber in a Canucks uniform but I wouldn't hold my breath.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

where is Webers wife from???if she is from Nashville he will stay in Nashville...if she is a BC girl...Shea is comin' home with her to the Canucks...happy wife...happy life...any smart man knows that!!!
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

okcanuck wrote:There is another reason Weber will probably stay with Nashville and that is his relationship with Barry Trotz. They both live in the Okanagan and are frequent golfing partners. I really think that Weber believes that Trotz is the perfect coach for him .

Thats not to say that Weber couldn't excel with other coaches. His talent is that good, but Trotz brings out the best of his young players.

It would be great to see Weber in a Canucks uniform but I wouldn't hold my breath.
If Weber truly wanted to stay in Nashville why hasn't he signed yet?

The Preds obviously want him there and the type of contract they need to offer has basically already been defined.

My take is that Weber had big reservations about the Preds ownership and losing Suter probably is the tipping point. Every player is going to say publicly that they want to stay and they love the city, blah, blah, blah.

It doesn't mean anything.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

So, let's play this "Weber gets traded this summer" scenario out! :hmmm: Who does he go to? Since no one seems to know diddly about his marriage/girl-friend status, I think we leave the personal/family factor on the shelf. There are two possible outcomes in this scenario: 1) Weber goes to whomever Poile can get the best deal from, regardless of potential LTC possibilities, and 2) He goes to a team that he has indicated he is willing to sign a LTC with.

Maybe we start with the teams he will not likely be traded to, first. I would lump all of the central division here! I cannot imagine how bad it would be for Nashville fans to see Weber play against them 6 times/year! :shock: That ain't goin' to happen! Looking at the first possible outcome (above), which other teams would have the goods to pull off this deal? If there is no guarantee of a LTC for the winning team, what are they willing to give up? Obviously, less than the LTC possibility, but still significant chips! I imagine Poile would need a top D (as a replacement), a top 6-9 F or a good prospect, and a draft pick.

If we look at the possibility of Weber being traded to a team of his choice (second outcome), the return for Poile becomes more substantial perhaps, but also there would be potentially less because there would be no bidding war. Still, it would need to satisfy Poile enough so that he doesn't decide to just try to keep Weber for the start of the season. In this situation, Weber may have a short list of preferred teams, or just one. I'll have to dig around for likely teams, so I'll be back! :)
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

the Dogsalmon wrote:where is Webers wife from???if she is from Nashville he will stay in Nashville...if she is a BC girl...Shea is comin' home with her to the Canucks...happy wife...happy life...any smart man knows that!!!
He's not married, but his girlfriend is from Kelowna. Good sign, though it didn't do much for Schultz.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Diehard1 wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:where is Webers wife from???if she is from Nashville he will stay in Nashville...if she is a BC girl...Shea is comin' home with her to the Canucks...happy wife...happy life...any smart man knows that!!!
He's not married, but his girlfriend is from Kelowna. Good sign, though it didn't do much for Schultz.

if thats the case every guy who has a wife knows the boy is coming home...happy wife...happy life...wife is sad...life is bad...

IF YOU ARE NOT MARRIED(TO A WOMAN) PLEASE DO NOT LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK...CAUSE YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT THIS SUBJECT...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
IF YOU ARE NOT MARRIED(TO A WOMAN) PLEASE DO NOT LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK...CAUSE YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT THIS SUBJECT...
Never truer word said :D
cheers