Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by Boston Canucker »

The Kyle Chipchura domino has dropped...it's going to get crazy now! 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ODB wrote:
6 minutes ago
Real_ESPNLeBrun: At close of business yesterday, the #Wild had sold over 1,000 new season tickets
:|
Yeah, this is a big deal for the Wild. Good for them.

Minnesota is a great hockey market, but even the most adoring fans can't watch the same boring talentless crap forever.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

While we are on about Weber.. this is a great article from Kevin Allen about what David Poile needs to do in this situation.
Poile needs to handle with the Shea Weber situation the way that Shero dealt with the Jordan Staal situation: You offer the player the best contract extension you can afford. If he doesn't accept, you trade him, preferably to a place he wants to play.

That level of offer essentially forces both sides to lay all of their cards on the table. If Weber doesn't accept that offer now, it's highly unlikely he's going to re-sign in Nashville.

If he turns down the offer, Poile doesn't have to guess whether Weber is going to stay. He will know it's time to trade him and get players back that will put the franchise back on the road to recovery from the loss of Suter and Weber.

Clearly, Poile doesn't want to trade Weber. But he has to if Weber turns down a $100 million deal. The Predators can't ride the waves with Weber's contract negotiations the way they did with Suter last season. It's too disruptive to the planning progress, and the consequences for failure to re-sign the player, are enormous.

Losing Suter without getting anything in return was hurtful. Losing Weber after Suter could be disastrous. Weber is among the top three defensemen in the game today, and some believe he's the best all-around defenseman. You will never receive full value for trading him, but you will likely receive a bountiful return.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

...this seems a fair assessment and, unfortunately for us, does not work in the Canucks favour.

I just do not think we have the assets to compete in the trade market against say, the Flyers.

Perhaps we can go back and forth with the Wings who clearly would also be interested but Philedalphia just has to much to offer I believe.

Again I think the only way we get Weber is if he clearly states says that Vancouver is his destination of choice.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Yep. Poile has to couple the need to trade Weber with Weber's desire as to where he wants to go. if Weber has a selection of cities in mind it is unlikely the canucks can outbid and Poile will get a boatload of assets back.

But if Weber wants to play in Vancouver and Vancouver is the only place he'll sign long term it becomes the only real option for Poile and they need to work out an amicable deal. It would be similar at that point to the Staal deal at the draft. That deal would likely be something like Edler, Raymond, prospect and/or first round pick....something for the now and something for the future.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

tantalum wrote: But if Weber wants to play in Vancouver and Vancouver is the only place he'll sign long term it becomes the only real option for Poile and they need to work out an amicable deal. It would be similar at that point to the Staal deal at the draft. That deal would likely be something like Edler, Raymond, prospect and/or first round pick....something for the now and something for the future.
It would have to be a sign and trade, and if Edler is to accept that his agent will probably want a tad more cash for AE, like $5.5M - $5.75M per for 5-6 years to agree to a sign and trade to Nashville.

That would be key imo.
Plus a first rounder and a good prospect or one of Burrows/Ray.

Not many teams have a young Alex Edler type, to deal for Weber so at least there is hope!
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

tantalum wrote:Yep. Poile has to couple the need to trade Weber with Weber's desire as to where he wants to go. if Weber has a selection of cities in mind it is unlikely the canucks can outbid and Poile will get a boatload of assets back.

But if Weber wants to play in Vancouver and Vancouver is the only place he'll sign long term it becomes the only real option for Poile and they need to work out an amicable deal. It would be similar at that point to the Staal deal at the draft. That deal would likely be something like Edler, Raymond, prospect and/or first round pick....something for the now and something for the future.
There's good logic unrolling here about Weber. Let me ask ya though, what if Poile wanted Kesler, Edler, and a first, would you do it??
cc oldtimer
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

nuckster wrote:Let me ask ya though, what if Poile wanted Kesler, Edler, and a first, would you do it??
Not a chance.

I'd roll the dice on waiting for next summer rather than give up a package like that.
2011..... the one that got away.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

tantalum wrote: ..But if Weber wants to play in Vancouver and Vancouver is the only place he'll sign long term it becomes the only real option for Poile ..
Gillis’ options would include: (A) trading with Poile in the hope of improving the team this year or; (B) waiting to contract Weber next year, give up no assets, & have a better team.

All hinging on the unlikely assumption that Vancouver is the only place he’ll sign.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

donlever wrote:...this seems a fair assessment and, unfortunately for us, does not work in the Canucks favour.

I just do not think we have the assets to compete in the trade market against say, the Flyers.

Perhaps we can go back and forth with the Wings who clearly would also be interested but Philedalphia just has to much to offer I believe.

Again I think the only way we get Weber is if he clearly states says that Vancouver is his destination of choice.
You're probably right.

However if Poile's biggest priority is in keeping the Predators competitive now is there a team out there that could offer a top pairing defenseman, a top four defenseman, a top nine forward and still sweeten the pot with a high draft pick or a very solid prospect?
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

To increase the tinfoil hat speculation, GMMG could always consider using part of the return from a potential Luongo trade (i.e. good prospects) to spice up a deal for Weber...
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

nuckster wrote: There's good logic unrolling here about Weber. Let me ask ya though, what if Poile wanted Kesler, Edler, and a first, would you do it??
No. Nor will Poile get a Selke winner on a favourable contract, a 50+ point young D-men and a first round draft pick with 29 teams were bidding on Weber.

They would get one very good player, depth player(s) and prospect/pick. Not two high level players plus.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

tantalum wrote:No. Nor will Poile get a Selke winner on a favourable contract, a 50+ point young D-men and a first round draft pick with 29 teams were bidding on Weber.

They would get one very good player, depth player(s) and prospect/pick. Not two high level players plus.
Says who Tant?

You have no idea what some teams might offer for the best defensemen the game... NONE!

There will be teams making huge offers even if Weber says he wants to sign here. For two reasons... to take a shot at a cup and to hopefully change Webers mind.

Nash requested a trade 6 months ago and he's still a Jacket...

If Weber goes on the market this summer the return will be huge. That return however will drop as the trade deadline approaches.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Nash has years and years left on his contract, his team has no pressure to deal him or risk losing him for nothing. They also do not have the pressure of any kind of success as a team or a business that might be lost by mishandling their disgruntled star.

If Weber wants out then Poile would be best off making that happen rather than going into the season not knowing whether he'll be dismantling his squad in season (when it's tough to get any kind of bidding war going) or what. The fans know what's up and I think if there's a worse pitch to season ticket holders than "we just lost our two best players" it's "we just lost our two best players for next to nothing."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote: While we are on about Weber.. this is a great article from Kevin Allen about what David Poile needs to do in this situation.
DOH, I posted the same link in the Parise/Suter thread a half-hour after you did!

Sorry folks.

This isn't like me, no more multitasking, gotta log off....
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!