Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by Potatoe1 »

surreal78 wrote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
2 year deal, $9mil for Jokinen in Wpg. $4.5 aav
Thank god. Was worried he'd be coming here.
That is a horrible deal, wow.....

surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya know why not Jager to play with the twins for a year or two?
His agent's been saying he has 21 offers... kinda doubt that would happen. He probably wants to stay in the East anyhow.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya know why not Jager to play with the twins for a year or two?
You know what, I agree, why the hell not.

1 year, big cash.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Diehard1 wrote: Works for me! Have you heard anything about what Gillis wants to do with the remaining cap space? I'm assuming it's mostly going for forwards and maybe a depth D, unless he decides to do something with Ballard as well. Still lots of moves th at could be made, likely starting with the Lu deal.

No, just that he had his eye on 2 FA's. We know he got one but I have no idea who the other is. I think to some extent he is waiting for the Luongo situation to resolve. Once Suter, Parise and perhaps Nash is dealt we may have teams that need to unload cap so he may be able to poach there, similar to the Ehrhoff thing. I have heard he has talked to Doan or Doan's agent but I don't really have any inside scoop on who he is after.
The only HW the Canucks need

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Potatoe1 wrote:
surreal78 wrote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
2 year deal, $9mil for Jokinen in Wpg. $4.5 aav
Thank god. Was worried he'd be coming here.
That is a horrible deal, wow.....

There is your Wellwood replacement! :D :D

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Potatoe1 wrote:
SKYO wrote:If you want Doan brace yourselves for a 3 to 4 year deal, that is the only way we can ever attempt at acquiring the highly sought after Shane Doan.
I dont think you read my post.

How bout offering him 8 mill for 1 year, since we have the space and there isn't much to spend it on, ya think that would interest him ?

I know that seems kind of silly but it would be better then a 3 year deal or even leaving space on the table this year (which would kind of be a slap in the face for anyone who took less to play here)
With our limited amount of time to win the cup, unless the Twins re-sign (hopefully)

3-4 years of Doan would be awesome.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

So is Bitz one and out ?
cheers

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: Works for me! Have you heard anything about what Gillis wants to do with the remaining cap space? I'm assuming it's mostly going for forwards and maybe a depth D, unless he decides to do something with Ballard as well. Still lots of moves th at could be made, likely starting with the Lu deal.

No, just that he had his eye on 2 FA's. We know he got one but I have no idea who the other is. I think to some extent he is waiting for the Luongo situation to resolve. Once Suter, Parise and perhaps Nash is dealt we may have teams that need to unload cap so he may be able to poach there, similar to the Ehrhoff thing. I have heard he has talked to Doan or Doan's agent but I don't really have any inside scoop on who he is after.
Makes sense - I wonder if Prust was the other one? Montreal gave him a pile of cash and a long term though and I'm sure Gillis wasn't going to match that. Prust's girlfriend is also from Quebec so he had some incentive to go there. Once Prust got his stupid money I'm sure a guy like Pinizzoto was considered given he may be a poor man's Prust.

I would really think he's all over Doan, a big character RW who can play on the 2nd line easily. Gillis is probably now waiting on the Lu deal and potentially Doan.

the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Hockey Widow wrote:Its simple really. Get a centre to play 2nd line from the Luongo-Raymond trade. New centre comes in and shows he can be the pivot to hold down 2nd line along side Doan who we of course also sign. So you have Doan, new guy, Booth.

Then when Kesler is back keep him on the third line with Higgins and Hanson or Burrows because Kassian is going to be great and he will take Burrows spot with the twins, or Doan does and Kassian gets the 2nd line.

Whoever does not play on the third line with Kesler drops down to play with Lappy and Manny on the 4th line.

Problems solved.

sign me up...it sounds good to go...

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote:Its simple really. Get a centre to play 2nd line from the Luongo-Raymond trade. New centre comes in and shows he can be the pivot to hold down 2nd line along side Doan who we of course also sign. So you have Doan, new guy, Booth.

Then when Kesler is back keep him on the third line with Higgins and Hanson or Burrows because Kassian is going to be great and he will take Burrows spot with the twins, or Doan does and Kassian gets the 2nd line.

Whoever does not play on the third line with Kesler drops down to play with Lappy and Manny on the 4th line.

Problems solved.
HW, do you think Kesler's ego would let that happen? Never mind the outrage of the "fans" who would complain about a $5mil third line center?

Personally I think if your described scenario above were to happen, we would be one deep scary-ass annoying as hell team of forwards (minus Cyclops of course).
Try to focus on THIS year...

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank wrote:
HW, do you think Kesler's ego would let that happen? Never mind the outrage of the "fans" who would complain about a $5mil third line center?

Personally I think if your described scenario above were to happen, we would be one deep scary-ass annoying as hell team of forwards (minus Cyclops of course).

Kesler would play net if it brought us the cup :D Of course if he did it wouldn't.

He would still get a ton of ice time playing against the number one line for the opposing team. I personally feel he is highly suited for that role. As far as fans go, ya he is over paid as a third line centre but if we won the cup no one would care. I'd love to see him get another Selke too!

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Jovocop wrote:I assume that you like Alberts and Rome more than Ballard. BTW, Ballard had more fights than Rome and Alberts combined last season. Ballard is not a big tough defenseman but he could be a pretty nasty piece with his hip checks.
Damn straights! Ballard & Hamhuis deliver hipchecks as good as anyone in the league and keep forwards nervous coming down the boards on them. No one likes to be sent flying in the air. Between them & Edler (when so inclined) we have some pretty solid hitters back there. They don't hit all the time but when they do you feel it. The weak link isn't Ballard imo (he's our best skater w/ the puck back there by far...its his passing that gets him in trouble), its is Tanev. Tanev may be cool under pressure but he doesn't strike me as outstanding in any area really....and doesn't put up pts.....doesn't block shots...doesn't really hit. He's ok and all, fine as a no.6, better as a no.7. The guy we've been missing the past couple years is Willie Mitchell, a true defensive Dman. Thats what we need to bring in, that type of blueliner for the 6 slot.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I like the idea of Sundining Doan on a one year deal if we have the space. This year UFA crop is pretty terrible.

Nice suggestion Pot.

CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

ClamRussel wrote: Damn straights! Ballard & Hamhuis deliver hipchecks as good as anyone in the league and keep forwards nervous coming down the boards on them. No one likes to be sent flying in the air. Between them & Edler (when so inclined) we have some pretty solid hitters back there. They don't hit all the time but when they do you feel it. The weak link isn't Ballard imo (he's our best skater w/ the puck back there by far...its his passing that gets him in trouble), its is Tanev. Tanev may be cool under pressure but he doesn't strike me as outstanding in any area really....and doesn't put up pts.....doesn't block shots...doesn't really hit. He's ok and all, fine as a no.6, better as a no.7. The guy we've been missing the past couple years is Willie Mitchell, a true defensive Dman. Thats what we need to bring in, that type of blueliner for the 6 slot.
Good point about Tanev.

I think that he's trying to find what his role will be in the NHL. Like you said he's kind of a jack'of'all trades master of none. If the coaching staff can help him define a play a role/play style, he could really be any kind of player. It's pretty easy to see that he should be a two-way dman. Whether he's a no. 3-4 or a 5-6 well have to wait and see.

One think i have to disagree with you about is that something does strike me about Tanev. HIs first pass. That ability to make a great outlet pass to break the forward, that kind of vision is hard to teach people. Coupled with his willingness to take a hit to make a play... two-way all the way...

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

ClamRussel wrote:
Jovocop wrote:I assume that you like Alberts and Rome more than Ballard. BTW, Ballard had more fights than Rome and Alberts combined last season. Ballard is not a big tough defenseman but he could be a pretty nasty piece with his hip checks.
Damn straights! Ballard & Hamhuis deliver hipchecks as good as anyone in the league and keep forwards nervous coming down the boards on them. No one likes to be sent flying in the air. Between them & Edler (when so inclined) we have some pretty solid hitters back there. They don't hit all the time but when they do you feel it. The weak link isn't Ballard imo (he's our best skater w/ the puck back there by far...its his passing that gets him in trouble), its is Tanev. Tanev may be cool under pressure but he doesn't strike me as outstanding in any area really....and doesn't put up pts.....doesn't block shots...doesn't really hit. He's ok and all, fine as a no.6, better as a no.7. The guy we've been missing the past couple years is Willie Mitchell, a true defensive Dman. Thats what we need to bring in, that type of blueliner for the 6 slot.
Totally agree, especially the Mitchell statement, it really showed in our series against LA, Mitchell was outstanding.