Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by CorranHorn »

Rumour has it garrison is set to be a canuck

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

In a way I kind of want Garrison to sign somewhere else for some crazy amount, so we can then make a blockbuster move of offering sign&trade Edler, Burrows and a 3rd for Weber and Spaling.

Then Ballard could regain his stock with finally playing decent top minutes with Weber.
KB I bet playing on the top unit will get about 10 goals 35 assists.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

CorranHorn wrote:Rumour has it garrison is set to be a canuck
Garrison is set to be the next great example of NHL GM short-sightedness.

Some team is going to give him way too much money for way too many years. I really hope it's not us.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."

surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

SKYO wrote:In a way I kind of want Garrison to sign somewhere else for some crazy amount, so we can then make a blockbuster move of offering sign&trade Edler, Burrows and a 3rd for Weber and Spaling.

Then Ballard could regain his stock with finally playing decent top minutes with Weber.
KB I bet playing on the top unit will get about 10 goals 35 assists.
As much as we all want to live in Fantasy Gardens here like the 'Zalm and the Dude, there are 2 "name" UFAs available this year, and Marty, who will most likely test the market for a day or two then re-sign in Jersey. And Doan is going to stay in PHX, no matter what.

Guys like Garrison and Parenteau are going to get their not-undeserved payday. If GMMG goes for one or both of them, he has his reasons, but most likely will have to significantly overpay. Based on the last few years, overpaying doesn't seem like his style. (Outside of Sundin... guess we all have exceptions.)

Unfortunately, none of our griping and hand-wringing is going to make a difference. Realistically speaking, MG will fill a couple of gaps in the next few days or weeks. I'm betting on a low-cost 3rd line center and a depth/5-6th defenseman. I don't see us doing any better considering the current FA market. Anything above and beyond that may come via a Luongo trade, which may drag into August.

Either way. I'd be shocked to see anything of consequence happen this weekend for the 'Nucks. I'd love to, but it just doesn't seem realistic.

CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Yeah I, too, hope that MG does not go after Garrison as it most likely will end up an overpayment.

I don't want to be garrisoned while listening to the ballad at the same time.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Why the hate for Garrison? The guy is a very solid top 4 dman who is only 27 and big, can skate and is good defensively. He's exactly what the doctor ordered and would likely allow Gillis to make another move on the back end - probably to trade Ballard who has been borderline awful his whole time here.

I'd love it if he came back home and don't really care about the dollars involved -'the team has a ton of cap space so that's not an issue.

He's a big upgrade on Ballard who would make the team better, that's all I care about.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Diehard1 wrote:Why the hate for Garrison? The guy is a very solid top 4 dman who is only 27 and big, can skate and is good defensively. He's exactly what the doctor ordered and would likely allow Gillis to make another move on the back end - probably to trade Ballard who has been borderline awful his whole time here.

I'd love it if he came back home and don't really care about the dollars involved -'the team has a ton of cap space so that's not an issue.

He's a big upgrade on Ballard who would make the team better, that's all I care about.
Dumping Ballard would certainly make over paying Garrison a lot more palatable.

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Gillis may get some lower-tier UFAs later this month, but I just don't see him making a FA splash today. If anything, it's going to be via trade, and I don't think Luongo will be the only one going. Today is only interesting for me in the sense of who's left without a chair when the UFA music stops today and still needs some parts. Cue Gillis to truly be open for business.

Garrison? To me, Garrison = Canadian version of Ballard.

Just.... why? He shoots left, not sure how well he plays the right side. How could he be considered the player to get to plug what holes we have on the blue-line. Not saying he's a crap player, but I don't see how he's a player the Canucks need. The team has holes on the blueline, and it looks to me like the best pieces to plug them are available via trade, vice FA market.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Lancer wrote:Gillis may get some lower-tier UFAs later this month, but I just don't see him making a FA splash today. If anything, it's going to be via trade, and I don't think Luongo will be the only one going. Today is only interesting for me in the sense of who's left without a chair when the UFA music stops today and still needs some parts. Cue Gillis to truly be open for business.

Garrison? To me, Garrison = Canadian version of Ballard.

Just.... why? He shoots left, not sure how well he plays the right side. How could he be considered the player to get to plug what holes we have on the blue-line. Not saying he's a crap player, but I don't see how he's a player the Canucks need. The team has holes on the blueline, and it looks to me like the best pieces to plug them are available via trade, vice FA market.
Not even close - Garrison is much more Sami Salo than Ballard. He's a solid skater but not elite, very good positionally but isn't going to make the big hit. He played right side almost all of last year with Brian Campbell as his partner, but played the left the year before.

Ballard is a dumb player, has lots of tools and is a great skater but just doesn't seem to get it. Garrison is very different. I would be very happy if Gillis picked him up and I don't really care about the price as long as it doesn't get completely stupid, I.e. $6 million a year.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Why the hate for Garrison? The guy is a very solid top 4 dman who is only 27 and big, can skate and is good defensively. He's exactly what the doctor ordered and would likely allow Gillis to make another move on the back end - probably to trade Ballard who has been borderline awful his whole time here.

Dumping Ballard would certainly make over paying Garrison a lot more palatable.
I truly think Ballard is gone. He's now to the point where his contract isn't awful and there are tons of teams looking for defensive depth. There's no reason to keep a guy around who has proven he can't play in this system.

All depends on what else Gillis can do in the market though - if he's not able to add any depth he's not going to get a choice but to keep Ballard.

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Tsn reporting Schultz signed in principle with oilers.

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Jordon Staal signed 10 years $60M, a lot of money for someone who has never got over 100 points. I know he is only 23 but Crosby he is not. Makes the Sedin's look better and better and better with every new over payment contract signed.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399665

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Do you think Garrison fits the team better than Ehrhoff?

If the Canucks were to offer $5M to Garrison on a 4-5 year term, I'd really wonder what has changed - since they didn't offer Ehrhoff $5.5M at 5 years last off-season.

Despite his flaws defensively, Ehrhoff fit the team very well, and gave them a creative talent on the powerplay - I don't think Garrison offers anywhere near that type of offensive creativity, but is steadier in his own zone... will they exceed the $4.6M they gave Bieksa to get a guy that is probably 4th on the Canucks depth chart at best?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Reefer2 wrote:Jordon Staal signed 10 years $60M, a lot of money for someone who has never got over 100 points. I know he is only 23 but Crosby he is not. Makes the Sedin's look better and better and better with every new over payment contract signed.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399665
Over 100? His best year is 50. Staal is overrated and very injury prone. It's a huge risk to sign him to a deal like this, IMHO.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Do you think Garrison fits the team better than Ehrhoff?

If the Canucks were to offer $5M to Garrison on a 4-5 year term, I'd really wonder what has changed - since they didn't offer Ehrhoff $5.5M at 5 years last off-season.

Despite his flaws defensively, Ehrhoff fit the team very well, and gave them a creative talent on the powerplay - I don't think Garrison offers anywhere near that type of offensive creativity, but is steadier in his own zone... will they exceed the $4.6M they gave Bieksa to get a guy that is probably 4th on the Canucks depth chart at best?

S_C
Thats a good question - and I'd probably say no he doesn't. Ehrhoff got a 10 year deal though, no way Gillis was competing with that. Keep in mind that $4 million now with a $70 million cap is not what is was last year or the year before.

I'd expect Garrison gets $4.5 or so over 4 or 5 years, and he's worth that. Any more and he's a bit overpaid.

I wonder if Gillis would offer Ehrhoff $5.5 million over 5 years with the cap as is now? I really don't think the Bieksa and Hamhuis deals should be the standard anymore as they were signed with a much lower cap. One great deal shouldn't preclude signing another deal at market value.