Gillis a Moron for his Comments on Hodgson?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Gillis a Moron for his Comments on Hodgson?

Post by Hockey Widow »

CrzyCanuck wrote:I wonder if the constant talks with the management has gotten CoHo to go through several agents in the past. Perhaps none of the agents would oblige or fail to talk to the management effectively?

And it all goes back to that trust issue. We heard the rumours when CoHo was first hurt about how upset his family was at the way he was treated. I just think that the CoHo camp never got past it and never ever trusted the Canucks again. I respect that Cody has stayed quiet but at some point he has to speak for himself. Especially when all the negative talk abounds. He may serve his own best interest by saying something, keep it positive, but acknowledge something. But it is his prerogative. It will be interesting to see what his next contract negotiation is like. If he plays next year like this past year with all his defensive warts he may be a little disappointed in what a known big spender :D :D :D like the Sabres offer him.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Ya know, Cody's only 22. I know when I was 22, I just did what other people that knew more than me told me.

So I don't begrudge Coho for anything. He's a classy kid that does whatever his agent and his dad tells him to.

One of these days, he'll become his own man as well as a fantastic hockey player.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

mathonwy wrote:Ya know, Cody's only 22. I know when I was 22, I just did what other people that knew more than me told me.

So I don't begrudge Coho for anything. He's a classy kid that does whatever his agent and his dad tells him to.

One of these days, he'll become his own man as well as a fantastic hockey player.
You make good points but what you said didn't apply to Cody Hodgson except for the listening to his dad part, which might be the root of the problem. Don't forget that Hodgson has changed agents twice. This is not a kid who simply listens to what his agent tells him.

Hodgson is a hockey player. He's been playing high-level organized hockey since he was a little kid. Just do what the coach tells you to do is probably something that are ingrained in kids like Hodgson. Add to the fact that Hodgson is a smart kid who is suppose to be mature beyond his years and if there is anyone who knows a rookie shouldn't complain about his ice time it's him. Most hockey players don't listen to dad on hockey matters when dad knows nothing. Most dads who know hockey and knows what it takes to get to the NHL and or play in the NHL usually tell their kids to do what the coach tells him to do. It's not rocket science. If you're known as a player who is uncoachable you won't get too far in hockey.

I was a big supporter of Hodgson when he was here. I feared there would be a rift between him and the Canucks, but I figured the rift would go away once Hodgson became a big part of the Canucks. I never expected him to ask for more ice time during his rookie season. That's usually something you discuss during contract negotiations or at least during the exit interviews. But the Hodgson camp has admitted to asking for more ice time. That's a red flag. Rookies shouldn't ask for more ice time, especially on a team with two star centers. You bide your time and wait for your chance to shine.

I don't think Hodgson is a problem player. But he's a guy who thinks highly of himself and needs to be a star player. If he's not he might become a problem until he realizes he's not that good. It's too bad things turned out this way.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cody strikes me as a political animal like his father.

Why should Cody speak and criticize when he can have his henchmen, Winter and Roberts dirty themselves?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Hockey Widow wrote:There are two sides to every story. To deny that the injury that CoHo suffered was not the beginning of the end for him as a Canuck is misguided. Who can forget AV suggesting he was a baby and prima donna making excuses for not being good enough? I think that CoHo's camp never forgot that and never trusted the Canucks after that. For the Canucks part it is hard to say why they couldn't get over that but they never seemed able to.

I don't disagree with you HW but I wonder what was going on before that incident that would lead AV to make a statement like that. I say this because AV hasn't exactly been a vocal, in your face style of coach. Its only specualtion though. Cody wanted more time and we just didn't have the capability to give it to him. So the team traded him. Happens all over the league, dozens of times a year.

As to Gary Roberts, I'm kinda "meh" on his comments but I respect what he is doing now and a conditioning coach. Every person who ever talks about his training regime says its amazing (if you survive). Can't argue with results. If the offseason training this year gets Cody that extra step, then good for him and good for the Sabres.

I consider the whole situation a no-fault divorce, citing irreconcilable differences. Done and done.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I wonder if Kesler's injury and play had anything to do with this? Obviously Kesler was never quite right all season. Who knows how much time he spent in the trainers room, getting worked on or doped up. For a top-end player like Cody, he might've thought that Kesler's decline would open up some more doors. Not sure going to the coach and asking for more ice time is part of it... but...

Ultimately, doesn't CoHo's increased ice-time and production somewhat validate his point? Gillis talks about raising his trade value, well that's done because the kid is more effective and putting up more points. As a rookie, nobody could reasonably expect him to keep it going over a full season.

Obviously there are character issues. But I don't think they are as massive as people make them out to be. The kid has a big ego. Sure, who wouldn't when you were John Tavares' equal at a World Championships, or when you were named the best player in Major Junior Hockey. You don't become that good at hockey without having some ego and putting numero uno first. The family input, and the agents that probably go along with that, are a different matter.

Hopefully Gillis didn't give up on the kid too soon. It did strike me as a somewhat knee-jerk reaction, without too much consideration. For something that could have a big effect on the franchise long-term, that is a concern.

Just as a disclaimer: this has nothing to do with Kassian. He's certainly a type of prospect the Canucks sorely lack, in a position that they need to upgrade. Adding him isn't the issue at all.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I don't really blame AV for his thoughts on the back issue. He was told by doctors that Hodgson was fine and good to go. His mistake was probably being a little less politically correct than he could have been. Of course who knows what was happening even back then (i.e. perhaps someone was in AVs ear constanly during camp about misusing Hodgson even at that time).

In the end the fact that a man, and Hodgson is a man as are his handlers, can't get over that a doctor made a mistake and the canucks were simply acting on that advice is quite humourous to me.

I don't think the trade was knee jerk. I think when you look at the offensive zone starts the the icetime Hodgson was given the last couple of months it really does look like they were building an asset up to trade. They had a small list and pulled the trigger when they could.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Hopefully Gillis didn't give up on the kid too soon. It did strike me as a somewhat knee-jerk reaction, without too much consideration. For something that could have a big effect on the franchise long-term, that is a concern.
..from the tone of his presser he had 3 years to consider the positives and negatives of the individual.

Not knee jerk when looked at from that perspective.
DeLevering since 1999.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Topper wrote:Cody strikes me as a political animal like his father.

Why should Cody speak and criticize when he can have his henchmen, Winter and Roberts dirty themselves?

he has learned how to lie with the best of them...as for the Franzen hit(brush),he should have pointed his toes on entry....goddamn Eurowhore diver...
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Actually, the only interesting item in the article was Roberts' assertion that it was his guys who came up with the correct diagnosis for Coho's injury! GMMG has maintained that it was the Canucks' doctors who finally arrived at the torn muscle diagnosis! (he was referring to how even the Mayo clinic misdiagnosed Cody). :hmmm:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ODB wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:Hmmmm... Roberts assuming that we view him as what? A pillar of virtue and sportsmanship?

Here is where he targets Franzen's head after Franzen had just returned from missing 6 games with a concussion:

This is a guy who should definitely know who is a moron or not.

S_C
Fuckin Dive! :evil:

Roberts, I respect what we went through and the work involved in coming back!

CoHo vs Kassian, time will tell, what's the point in debating it?
Now that would be a fight worth paying money for....maybe Zackian can instigate it....'hey Cody...I just slashed your mom Gary tires....'
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

tantalum wrote:I still don't understand why people are all upset and calling Gillis unprofessional etc etc etc. You (meaning the media some fans) have hounded the guy for 2 months on why he made the trade and he hasn't said anything other than "balancing the team/organization". Still they hound hound hound and hound some more. THey get an answer that is quite honestly vague as to whether he is talking about Hodgson or the Hodgson camp or both in that he had to spend too much time dealing with Hodgson issues and now they get mad at him for answering the damn question!

THe fact of the matter is it was Hodgson's AGENT that said Hodgson was looking for more icetime (i.e. not happy with his role and icetime) and alluded to all the time they spent dealing with the canucks through blogs and tweets.

Hodgson can think he's taking the high road by "not saying anything" (except through his mouthpiece agent and Roberts of course) but the fact of the matter is he felt he had little to learn in his rookie season playing behind an Art Ross winner and Selke winner. He wanted more icetime and was taking up the organizations time with such requests. HE WAS A DISTRACTION. Maybe not a big one but a distraction nonetheless. It may have not been a trade request (or there may have been one as early as last summer depending on what source you want to believe), but that was coming.

Cody, son, I know you are a young man excited to start your career and make an impact in the NHL but you didn't take the high road in this. Far from it. Don't get pissy when you are called out for your behaviour. Which wasn't really being called out but more confirmation of what YOUR camp had already said.
The whole Canucks organization has been under the "You" microscope for years. In order to sell papers, the media will do anything to stir up the pot. No matter what the Canucks do, they can never please the stupid media.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Yep, who really cares what a 22 year old kid and his agent think about the Canucks - it will have zero effect on who signs here in the future.

Both parties come off looking a big childish, but in the grand scheme of things this is small potatoes. I liked Cody as a player, but I have no idea why he gets this much more attention than Taylor Hall, Jeff Skinner, Tyler Myers or any other good young players in the league who are actually better than he is at the moment. For whatever reason Cody seems to bring it upon himself, and the media latches on like the bunch of unfed piranhas they are.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Thought this might be a good place to say Roberts deserved every single crosscheck to the neck in '94. :thumbs:
Fuckin eh.... I hope Murzyn and Diduck helped do a number on that pencil neck .

Roberts was a good player..... a tough player sort of , but he was a spot picking piece of shit just like his homeslice Shayne Corson. People want accuse Kevin Bieksa of being a spotpicker , well growing up in Southern Ontario he learned from two of the best in their "heyday" with the leaves.
Murzyn and Diduck (and a few others) were well justified.

Roberts absolutely DEMOLISHED Captain Kirk a few times in that series.

Payback is a bitch and in those days it was all on the players.

Gary only played 43 games in the 3 seasons following that series. :lol:

I couldn't believe what a WHINER he turned into after that!

Agree that he picked his spots, but he was a decent fighter (watch out for those lefts).
____
Try to focus on someday.